• Ciao Guest - Youā€™ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCyclesĀ® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 saddlebags note and warning!

I was planning something similar but just using drop nose pins instead. Same principle but possibly slightly less secure. Having already lost a pannier I will probably adopt this option instead.

this is fantastic. thank you for the detailed instructions, @John in PA
I was able to drop my left saddlebag coming out of my garage ...
I just completed installing the safety pins on my bike, and hoping to never drop these saddlebags again.

Mine wasnt marked but it vanished in about a half hour as that was the time between me knowing I had it and realising I didn't. On a small English road as well not a highway. Kind of peeved about that.

I am wondering if those who have lost a bag had the pillion seat securely fastened? It is what locks the bags in place.
kk

When I lost my pannier I almost lost the pillion seat. It was just sitting loose on the tail of the bike. Quite how I didn't lose that as well I have no idea but luckily I didn't. Obviously I hadn't secured the seat properly. Guess what I really, really check before I take the bike out every time?

Lock closed 1 Pannier on Bike 1

I have looked a the above information. Noting this was discussed around the 23 Feb to 18 Jun 2023.
Recently (March 2024) after I was riding my V85TT (had driven around 10,000km total) and I stopped to note that my right side pannier was gone. Next day my son was rising along the side road and found the pannier. It was approximately of it fell 50km off my ride. So this is a real issue.
I have tried to work out how the pannier could have fallen off the pannier but can not work that out. The pannier fell off with the key locked in position and the catches in position.
Off course I am now unsure that I can trust the pannier from not falling off in the future.
Would appreciate any advice.

View attachment 34847View attachment 34849

I have looked a the above information. Noting this was discussed around the 23 Feb to 18 Jun 2023.
Recently (March 2024) after I was riding my V85TT (had driven around 10,000km total) and I stopped to note that my right side pannier was gone. Next day my son was rising along the side road and found the pannier. It was approximately of it fell 50km off my ride. So this is a real issue.
I have tried to work out how the pannier could have fallen off the pannier but can not work that out. The pannier fell off with the key locked in position and the catches in position.
Off course I am now unsure that I can trust the pannier from not falling off in the future.
Would appreciate any advice.
I do not have useful advice, but will post my experience for what it's worth. V100 panniers have the same history. First ride from taking delivery I made a re-newbie rider error and let it tip over on a very uneven driveway, off the pavement edge and onto a dip in the gravel shoulder. and scraped the left bag loose, causing a bit of damage to one of the retaining knobs of the pannier.
Since I was using a sturdy leather "fanny-pack" for my Insta360 camera bits, I strapped the belt between the pannier handles, over the passenger seat. That takes some of the weight off the mounts but could be a disaster if one came loose and became a battle-flail on the move. The pannier still fits and locks, but I do strap them together. When not using the camera kit, I have a military-surplus quick-release strap.

I think John Wells has the most simple and elegant solution to this issue. Itā€™s in another thread.

Last edited:
Just make sure that the front pin is all the way in and forward. It is possible to mount the bags with only the back pin fastened. The front pin is the only one that is locked by the seat. If not, the bag may stay in place for quite a while before the rear pin eventually vibrates rearward and releases the bag. You probably won't even hear it come off ( speaking from experience). Also, make sure you have a firm grip on the handle when taking a bag off as it can release suddenly and fall on the floor. Good luck!

I reckon that's what happened to mine. I never knew it had gone until I stopped at a junction and saw my lopsided shadow.

My spare locks that came with the bike were in the bag that fell off. Replacement bag came with a new set of locks so now I am stck with using two keys, one for the bike and one for the bags. I know the original key number but ordering new tumblers is probably a hassle so I'll just keep using the two keys. This isn't the only bike that has bags that fall off. The early BMW's with Krausers were notorious for this, that's why you will see most of them with straps around each bag today. I even had a bag on my Kawasaki C14 Concours (GTR) come off once. The only bags that never fell off were the British Cravens and Givi.

Iā€™ve been meaning to create a video on how to rekey these tumblers.

I used to do it almost daily when I was at BMW. Itā€™s not hard if you are shown how to do it. You just have to avoid shooting the tiny springs across the room!

The only problem in complete rekeying, is having enough tumbler plates (back at BMW I had hundreds and I bet I could order some too) but even then it can easily be overcome if you only have just one matching plate to your key, which happens virtually never. There are always 2 or more that match up.

In a pinch, I used to set the first plate and the last plate in the tumbler, to the existing key, ignoring the plates in between.

Yes, if somebody wanted to ā€œpickā€ the lock, it would be ā€œeasierā€ to pick 2 plates as opposed to 4 or 5 plates but in my whole life, I have yet to meet the person who ever claimed that their saddlebags were picked open and their stuff stolen. It is so much easier to just use a very small pry rod to pry the bag right off the bike, drive it home, and break into it at their leisure.

So I will make this video soon and post it here in Guzzi Tech. I think people would like this.

Changing plates would be good to know. I have one spare original barrel and lots of others that I could use for parts. Look forward to seeing your video on how to change the plates.

I looked at some comments. The square section that fits on the side of the key barrel on the V85TT pannier does have a lot of play which could allow the device to move. I estimate around 4 to 6mm.
I think it is movement, vibration/speed and right/left at the exactly position to allow the panniers to fall of. So some bad luck.
I saw the comment from John in PA and I can see how fitting the Safety Coupler will work (fitted on the bottom). I will try that.
Thanks everybody.

I saw the comment from John in PA and I can see how fitting the Safety Coupler will work (fitted on the bottom). I will try that.
Thanks everybody.
I can attest Johnā€™s safety mod is cheap, quick and easy to incorporate šŸ‘šŸ˜. The peace of mind is worth itšŸ˜‰.

Back