• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V1000 oil drips??

FrankG5

Just got it firing!
After my last ride I noticed some oil dropped off the front of the motor, and I was hoping for some expert advice as to which gasket may have failed. Seems to me it’s most likely the rubber seal behind the alternator cover, but I wasn’t able to find replacements for it, only for front main and timing cover.

Update: I’ve been informed it’s either the front main or the timing cover gasket, and since I don’t remember how to delete threads, it’s staying🙃

Before you do anything else check the torque on all of the bolts on the front of the engine. I had the same thing happen on my 17' Bobber and found three on the timing cover on the left side to be loose. Tightened them to spec and no more oil drip.

None of them were noticeably looser than the others, I pulled off the alternator cover and the lower bolt securing the alternator is oily, also there’s lots of chunky road grime inside the cover. Not to mention one of the bolt holes has been broken (not by me this time), and the front engine mounting bolt is oily and the nut is loose. Seems like the oil is seeping out from behind the alternator, so that would suggest the front main seal, correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 12
Yes looks like a front main. If memory serves, it is installed on the inside of the timing cover. Do you have the special dowel to remove the stator? This could be a good time to update the timing chain and install a bow type tensioner.

Yes looks like a front main. If memory serves, it is installed on the inside of the timing cover. Do you have the special dowel to remove the stator? This could be a good time to update the timing chain and install a bow type tensioner.
Tonti seal installs from the outside, Loop front main seals install from the inside.

To remove the alt. rotor, I prefer this tool: euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/boalt-rotor642tool.htm

Thank you for the info, my dad says he made the alternator removal tool at one point but a quick search through the toolbox did not produce results, so I’ll have to spend more time looking another day. He’s also under the impression that he installed a new type tensioner at some point, but I will see for myself once I get to it. Everything he did to this bike was 20+ years ago so I take everything with a grain of salt.

Thank you for the info, my dad says he made the alternator removal tool at one point but a quick search through the toolbox did not produce results, so I’ll have to spend more time looking another day. He’s also under the impression that he installed a new type tensioner at some point, but I will see for myself once I get to it. Everything he did to this bike was 20+ years ago so I take everything with a grain of salt.
MG cycle has the hardened pin for $6.57. If you made it from a grade 5 bolt it can bend and you have a problem removing it.

I made the tool out of an old allen key, works fine.
When you replace the seal get a viton replacement, brown in colour as opposed the the oem blue ones.
They do a better job.

I made the tool out of an old allen key, works fine.
When you replace the seal get a viton replacement, brown in colour as opposed the the oem blue ones.
They do a better job.
What is the length? Without that dimension you can't make one.

Back