• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-850 E5 Fuel Economy Readout

FMerlino

Tuned and Synch'ed
On my 2021 US V7-850, I have been averaging between 47 to 50 US mpg during most of my riding. This is from calculations using miles traveled and fuel required to fill the tank.
However, the reading on the bike shows around 70 mpg! I checked, and it actually is set to US mpg. I initially thought it was on imperial mpg, but 50 US mpg is 60.05 imperial mpg, not close to 70 as it reads.

While I don’t actually use this feature, I am curious as to how the bike calculates it, and what makes it so far off.
Thanks,

FMerlino

Aren't we all. I've stopped worrying about it though. Even after the upgraded MG map I didn't see any improvement in accuracy. I just get to 320km and fill up. No where near empty at that.

Aren't we all. I've stopped worrying about it though. Even after the upgraded MG map I didn't see any improvement in accuracy. I just get to 320km and fill up. No where near empty at that.
I just thought that it might be an indication of another issue: intake air leak, fuel pressure, wheel speed sensors….

I plan on remapping using the UpMap device. It is on order from GTM.

The MPG/KPG is based on calculated throttle position, wheel speed and RPM. It is meant as a general guess-timation, nothing else. I really wish they would drop it completely. For those old enough, it used to be the same in older cars with vacuum gauges for MPGs: Worthless.

The MPG/KPG is based on calculated throttle position, wheel speed and RPM. It is meant as a general guess-timation, nothing else. I really wish they would drop it completely. For those old enough, it used to be the same in older cars with vacuum gauges for MPGs: Worthless.
Thanks for the explanation.

FMerlino

It's disgraceful that something so incorrect was allowed out of the factory. Mine guesstimates 3L/100km and my mental maths at the bowser calculates 5L/100km.

I’m sorry but I know of no motorcycle that has an accurate fuel mileage instrumentation. None.

It’s a general guide, not a definitive diagnostic interface!

Even my modern Toyota and Chevrolet cars use estimation logic for mileage calculations on the dashboard.

My workshop Chevy van is the most accurate not because of the system used (because it hasn’t changed on Cargo Express vans since the 80’s!)

It’s because of her 40 gallon fuel tank which provides a significantly longer duration of operation which allows the estimation to more closely approximate the actual fuel economy.

Small fuel tank vehicles like motorcycles, will have larger standard deviations of error than larger tank vehicles. This is the nature of the mathematics of the software.

What befuddles me is why is this such an issue? Really.

If you want precise fuel economy calculations for any vehicle which will allow you to accurately predict expected fuel economy under normal running conditions, then please utilize a phone app like Road Trip. I keep records of dates, mileage, and fuel purchased.

The app maintains a highly accurate calculation based upon historical data and can display it 7 ways from Sunday. My fuel economy, under standard operating conditions, is entirely predictable by me from this data. Of course, if I radically change the conditions, like pulling 10,000 lbs uphill for 50 miles, then the calculations will deviate from the norm.

It also shows me visually if I missed a data point as I recently did, because my 6L - 350 horsepower - V-8 van cannot possibly get 25mpg even if the Virgin Mary herself were driving it!

I have obviously missed entering the previous receipt. However look carefully at the graphs and you will see the mpg trend remains fairly consistent over a long period of time, as expected.

Oh, and the app was free.

Attachments

• 787CD0DA-B39E-48D6-95D4-543FA88D14F1.png
    787CD0DA-B39E-48D6-95D4-543FA88D14F1.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 6
  • CB421DA5-7748-4DC6-ACDC-FF9636B3E339.png
    CB421DA5-7748-4DC6-ACDC-FF9636B3E339.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 4C5DEC5F-8026-4352-9785-7C5B52990A11.png
    4C5DEC5F-8026-4352-9785-7C5B52990A11.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 3C0601E0-AC69-425E-A0F1-F656879B6DEA.png
    3C0601E0-AC69-425E-A0F1-F656879B6DEA.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 4
  • FD697909-F59C-4AC7-BBDD-3E1E0D726D3D.png
    FD697909-F59C-4AC7-BBDD-3E1E0D726D3D.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I pay no heed to the low fuel light other than to think it an annoyance, more so the count up counter that appears when low fuel light on, as it obscures what I actually want to see - The trip counter, which I reset on each fill.

This morning I filled up with the low fuel light lit with 305.5km travelled. Filled with 16.42 litres, giving a calculated 5.37L/100km (43.8mpg US & 52.6mpg imp) whereas the displayed average was showing as 4.3l/100km

I'd quite happily go 370km on those figures.

As GTM says MG would be better getting rid of the average screen and count up on low fuel as they are useless. I'd prefer a time run function associated with the daily trip (Trip D).

I’m sorry but I know of no motorcycle that has an accurate fuel mileage instrumentation. None.

It’s a general guide, not a definitive diagnostic interface!

Even my modern Toyota and Chevrolet cars use estimation logic for mileage calculations on the dashboard.

My workshop Chevy van is the most accurate not because of the system used (because it hasn’t changed on Cargo Express vans since the 80’s!)

It’s because of her 40 gallon fuel tank which provides a significantly longer duration of operation which allows the estimation to more closely approximate the actual fuel economy.

Small fuel tank vehicles like motorcycles, will have larger standard deviations of error than larger tank vehicles. This is the nature of the mathematics of the software.

What befuddles me is why is this such an issue? Really.

If you want precise fuel economy calculations for any vehicle which will allow you to accurately predict expected fuel economy under normal running conditions, then please utilize a phone app like Road Trip. I keep records of dates, mileage, and fuel purchased.

The app maintains a highly accurate calculation based upon historical data and can display it 7 ways from Sunday. My fuel economy, under standard operating conditions, is entirely predictable by me from this data. Of course, if I radically change the conditions, like pulling 10,000 lbs uphill for 50 miles, then the calculations will deviate from the norm.

It also shows me visually if I missed a data point as I recently did, because my 6L - 350 horsepower - V-8 van cannot possibly get 25mpg even if the Virgin Mary herself were driving it!

I have obviously missed entering the previous receipt. However look carefully at the graphs and you will see the mpg trend remains fairly consistent over a long period of time, as expected.

Oh, and the app was free.
Not stressing over it. I never had a bike with this kind of readout, just tach, speedometer and odometer. Just posted in case someone would read and tell me that this was an indicator of some other (more serious) issue.

I’m glad to hear that “they all do it.”

Curious what it will read after I remap. (UpMap device on order from GTM).

FMerlino

Back