• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 850 service reset

just James

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I am considering buying a new V7 for the little woman, but I have heard that the service indicator wrench that appears on the instrument panel can only be reset by a dealer. Since I do all of my own service, and the nearest dealer is over 300 miles away, this would be a deal breaker for me. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, currently only a dealer can reset. However the icon is small and a piece of black tape will hide it, or you can just ignore it.

as much as i would like Guzzis the 2 hr one way drive to a dealer is an issue + i DIY almost everything on my bikes, car + truck. the light can be ignored BUT haw are Guzzi dealers in reference to warranty work if needed!!

I have written extensively on this topic.

The #1 complaint of Moto Guzzi owners in the USA, is the distance between dealers and the rapid turnover of dealers.

Unfortunately, prevailing American mentality is the catalyst of both of those problems.

Buy your motorcycle, parts, and accessories whenever possible, from your local dealer or you won’t have a local dealer for long.

Establish yourself as a real “customer” who has value and supports the dealership who supports you.

I tell you that when I was at Brattain Motors BMW Motorcycles in San Diego, 20 years ago, I took care of my customers who took care of me. I did nothing out of the ordinary for cheap ass individuals. This is a fact and the reality. I would never go out of my way or above and beyond to help out a bozo who insisted in trying to chisel everything from us.

The very nature of modern Moto Guzzi motorcycles is such that you will need a dealer during your first year or two, for warranty issues and gremlins that pop up. You will be much happier about these issues if you have a supportive and responsive dealership. The bad blood you will generate buying from the cheapest seller in another state, is simply not worth the savings, ever.

This is my experience and my solid opinion.

Moto Guzzi is good about warranty repairs. I’ve always been satisfied and once the gremlins got out of my brand new 2012 Stelvio NTX over the first year, it has been rock-solid reliable.

Last edited:
I'm lucky in that a long time and respected Guzzi dealer is just ten minutes away from my home. I'm new to Moto Guzzi and might not have bought one had there not been an good shop close by. I'm capable of performing most repairs myself but having experienced and knowledgeable help close by is priceless.

The "issue" of a service reminder light on the clocks seems, to me at least, to be a VERY minor problem. YMMV.

I am also very lucky—3 dealers in Arizona within reasonable distance. I had one issue on the V85TT that would have been taken care of under warranty, but it was easier to fix it myself than arrange transportation to get the bike to the dealer I purchased it from (closest to my house).

For the last few years I have had a 2014 California Custom which I have put over 20,000 miles on. I bought it used, and it was beyond the warranty period when I got it. I have never had any kind of issue with it, and I do all of my own maintenance. Thanks to this site, I have a code which allows me to reset the service indicator.
With the purchase of any vehicle, I try to keep resale value in mind. I would think that the resale value of any bike would be greatly diminished if it is indicating that a service is needed, and I would certainly not be interested in making a 700 mile round trip just to get a reset performed by a dealer (if they would even reset it without having performed the service themselves).

If I were going to sell a bike that displayed the maintenance indicator, I would make an appointment with the dealer and make the round trip for a final service and indicator reset before selling--end of problem. I am not sure about the V7-850, but the indicator on the V85TT is just a very small wrench symbol on the TFT display--it is easy to ignore. I would not let the dealer-only reset be a consideration for purchase. I can read/clear diagnostic trouble codes on my V85TT using an OBDII scanner with an adapter cable to the Moto Guzzi connector.

when dealers are far away + IMO the overcharging for simple services its no wonder they are rarely visited. years ago but hopefully better now a friend was a small dealer for a short time + noted he could NOT get parts in a timely manner!!! my triumph dealer wants about $125!!! kinda like buying Ducati parts out of my budget!!!!

when dealers are far away + IMO the overcharging for simple services its no wonder they are rarely visited. years ago but hopefully better now a friend was a small dealer for a short time + noted he could NOT get parts in a timely manner!!! my triumph dealer wants about $125!!! kinda like buying Ducati parts out of my budget!!!!

“Overcharging for simple services”?

Really.

I pay thousands of dollars, every year, for professional software licenses and computers that are necessary just to talk to and do all electronic and programming functions to modern motorcycles.

I suppose I should just offer this equipment and my service department for $10 or $20 huh?

It never ceases to amaze me, how people assume that it costs absolutely nothing to operate a dealership or an independent repair facility, let alone the initial and ongoing capital investment.

They all believe that they are the ones being “ripped off” as they complain about having to pay for professional services.

This type of behavior just disgusts me. Truly.

Yet, the same people would literally shit a brick if they had to actually pony up the $$$$$ to purchase the specialized tools and equipment necessary to perform these functions, pay the wages and benefits of the employees, pay the incredible Workers Compensation Insurance prices and Professional Liability Insurance, oh, and let’s not forget the standard thousands upon thousands of dollars in tools, and the building and utilities expenses too, and a modicum of a tiny profit for the individual bankrolling this incredible cash investment and the risk he or she has taken.

Yep. All dealership owners are just rolling around in the piles of money that they make off of helpless fools that go to them to be ripped off…not.

Reminds me of the asshole who actually called my workshop last December. He wanted to “borrow” one of my tools and was vocally upset when I told him I didn’t loan out my tools. He cried that it was Christmas time and what a miser I was because I wouldn’t let him come take one of my tools to his home for a couple of hours, in order to let him repair his motorcycle. I told him to go purchase his own tools.

He persisted again and I told him that I would lend him my tools to use if he would lend me his wife or girlfriend to use for the same few hours, hoping that he would realize how ridiculous he was being and how much I value my tools and don't lend them out. He finally hung up the phone cussing at the top of his lungs.

I was absolutely shocked at his attitude and behavior.

He truly believed that I was the bad guy and he was just a helpless soul looking for a little help, being taken advantage of by the mean mechanic.

Good god…

Last edited:
“Overcharging for simple services”?

Really.

I pay thousands of dollars, every year, for professional software licenses and computers that are necessary just to talk to and do all electronic and programming functions to modern motorcycles.

I suppose I should just offer this equipment and my service department for $10 or $20 huh?

It never ceases to amaze me, how people assume that it costs absolutely nothing to operate a dealership or an independent repair facility, let alone the initial and ongoing capital investment.

They all believe that they are the ones being “ripped off” as they complain about having to pay for professional services.

This type of behavior just disgusts me. Truly.

Yet, the same people would literally shit a brick if they had to actually pony up the $$$$$ to purchase the specialized tools and equipment necessary to perform these functions, pay the wages and benefits of the employees, pay the incredible Workers Compensation Insurance prices and Professional Liability Insurance, oh, and let’s not forget the standard thousands upon thousands of dollars in tools, and the building and utilities expenses too, and a modicum of a tiny profit for the individual bankrolling this incredible cash investment and the risk he or she has taken.

Yep. All dealership owners are just rolling around in the piles of money that they make off of helpless fools that go to them to be ripped off…not.

Reminds me of the asshole who actually called my workshop last December. He wanted to “borrow” one of my tools and was vocally upset when I told him I didn’t loan out my tools. He cried that it was Christmas time and what a miser I was because I wouldn’t let him come take one of my tools to his home for a couple of hours, in order to let him repair his motorcycle. I told him to go purchase his own tools.

He persisted again and I told him that I would lend him my tools to use if he would lend me his wife or girlfriend to use for the same few hours, hoping that he would realize how ridiculous he was being and how much I value my tools and don't lend them out. He finally hung up the phone cussing at the top of his lungs.

I was absolutely shocked at his attitude and behavior.

He truly believed that I was the bad guy and he was just a helpless soul looking for a little help, being taken advantage of by the mean mechanic.

Good god…
The other side of that story?

I had a Mercedes for several years, and every time that I made an appointment to have the car serviced, the people in the service department seemed surprised (and irritated) when I would wait at the dealership while they worked on it. They expected that I would drop it off and leave it with them for the day, to get to later. I guess that "appointment" had a different meaning to me than them.
As to purchasing a bike from a dealer 350 miles away, then being expected to return to that dealer a few days later for the initial service (and subsequent services later), is absurd, in my opinion. I can see that easily turning into a nightmare scenario wherein there is a misunderstanding in the service scheduling, or their technician called in sick, or any number of other potential issues.

A couple of years ago, my hydraulic wood splitter began running very poorly. I didn't have time to work on it, so I took it to a local repair shop. I figured it was a carburetor problem, but they called and said that it had a blown head gasket, and it would be $75 total to fix it. When I picked it up, they said that they also ended up having to replace the carburetor (with a used one), and one other thing which I can't remember. The total bill? $75. They obviously lost money on that deal, but they stuck to their word, and they will always get my business. I will also highly recommend them to everyone else.
As for dealing with totally unreasonable people, all businesses that deal directly with the public get those occasionally. It is certainly not limited to motorcycle repair shops.

Having owned and operated a couple of small business (losing a ton of money and credit in the proces) I have noticed that many who scream the loudest about "outrageous" prices for parts and service work have NEVER tried to run any business more complicated than a lemonade stand.

I figured it was a carburetor problem, but they called and said that it had a blown head gasket, and it would be $75 total to fix it. When I picked it up, they said that they also ended up having to replace the carburetor (with a used one), and one other thing which I can't remember. The total bill? $75. They obviously lost money on that deal, but they stuck to their word, and they will always get my business. I will also highly recommend them to everyone else.

But you thought nothing of cheating them!

Estimates are just that, estimates. They are always subject to revision pending work being started and unexpected discoveries.

To assume that you should have just paid the $75, says to me, that you have no conscience in cheating the businessman. No qualms at all.

Sorry, but that’s the facts as you have presented them here.

As to purchasing a bike from a dealer 350 miles away, then being expected to return to that dealer a few days later for the initial service (and subsequent services later), is absurd, in my opinion. I can see that easily turning into a nightmare scenario wherein there is a misunderstanding in the service scheduling, or their technician called in sick, or any number of other potential issues.

“Absurd”?

So, what do you expect? If you have a new motorcycle that needs its first initial service, then it needs its first service.

I guess I’m not understand your bitching.

What is your axe to grind there?

But you thought nothing of cheating them!

Estimates are just that, estimates. They are always subject to revision pending work being started and unexpected discoveries.

To assume that you should have just paid the $75, says to me, that you have no conscience in cheating the businessman. No qualms at all.

Sorry, but that’s the facts as you have presented them here.
When I was told of the extra work that they had performed, I asked what I owed for it. THEY said that there was no more owed than original quote. I pay my way, and I do not cheat people, or businesses. They are located in a small town, and a good reputation means more to them than short term (and short sighted) profit.

“Absurd”?

So, what do you expect? If you have a new motorcycle that needs its first initial service, then it needs its first service.

I guess I’m not understand your bitching.

What is your axe to grind there?
My "axe to grind" is with Moto Guzzi. Producing bikes which must be taken to a dealer to have the service indicator reset is unfair to people who are fully capable of performing most of the normal maintenance themselves.
I have no problem whatsoever with honest businesses, and am happy to pay fairly for services which are beyond my abilities.

BTW, I perform all of the routine maintenance on all of my automobiles, and all of them allow me the option of resetting the service indicator.

My "axe to grind" is with Moto Guzzi. Producing bikes which must be taken to a dealer to have the service indicator reset is unfair to people who are fully capable of performing most of the normal maintenance themselves.
I have no problem whatsoever with honest businesses, and am happy to pay fairly for services which are beyond my abilities.

This is precisely why motorcycle dealerships of every marque are becoming rarer and rarer.

If you don’t support your dealer, then they fold up and you have no dealer.

This service reset issue is not unique to Moto Guzzi.

Every BMW requires a computer interface as well as virtually all European motorcycles and most Asian ones as well.

I understand this is frustrating on the newer Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I sympathize. They are trying to lower costs and try and provide some protections of income for their dealers.

Unfortunately most Moto Guzzi Owners would rather have a root canal without Novocain than spend a single dollar in their dealer’s place of business. This is why so many dealers have folded up and why people like me, who should own a franchise, do not. I won’t invest my hard earned $$$ for the benefit of people who begrudge supporting it.

Then the same cheapskate people bitch about “never more than 500 miles between dealers” when they themselves have fostered an attitude that kills dealers faster than anything.

On my 5 Moto Guzzi motorcycles, the Centauro has no service reminder (the way all motorcycles should be if you ask me as I hate “Nanny” functions) and all the others have an interface to do it from the dash.

However, these models were all twice the price of a V7/V85/V9 when new.

Last edited:
Back