• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V7 Brakes

Do not use sintered pads. Sintered brakes should be used for frequent use, for consistently high temperatures.

Instead, the rear brake is rarely used and therefore it is always cold. As a result, it brakes less than unsynthesized pads
I can confirm from experience that it is not true. Since I changed my brake pads to sintered ones, my rear brakes had a big improvement. And that's not just a "butt feeling" because I use rear brakes a lot. And struggle with weak rear brakes like other V7 owners who not just putter away but ride more sporty/aggressively and need a good rear brake.
Brand spanking new V7 I got in 2021 had worse rear brakes than my 82' GL500 Silverwing, and that thing has drums! Yes, DRUM brakes!
@scottmastrocinque All these people complaining about weak rear brakes are not imagining, all of their dealers are not incompetent not to know how to bleed brakes, and all who wrench themselves just can't "not know what they're doing". V7 850 has relatively weak rear brakes. That's it. That's what they're like.
I got Brembo PS11 master cylinder upgrade- slightly improved. Sintered pads on- improved. One last check is to put bleeder on ABS unit (when I can find the time for that lol), and if I still won't be bale lock rear wheel (or trigger ABS with it on), then I'm joining @Guillaume™ and bypassing ABS. A simple cheap test would show whether it has smth to do with ABS, or mechanical stuff like calipers and brake disc. Just route a short brake line from calipers directly to rear master.

Well just to be the oddball here, as well as everywhere else in my life, I will say that the rear brake on my 2017 V7 III has always been very good and I have never had reason to complain about it. And like just Mindis I use it a lot. It provides solid, well modulated power for stopping and the ABS has twice saved me from going ditchbound when I entered a corner to hot.

I'm 100% POSITIVE that the people who are saying their brake is not working correctly, have either a mechanical or hydraulic issue (highly unlikely) or the brake is simply not setup properly.

Nobody will ever convince me that the reported performance is "normal" function or just a "cheap brake".

No way no how. I'm not buying it at all.

Two things:
1. Under slung calipers get dirty quicker and easier. Even a dryer climate than here in Ireland (currently lashing (raining hard)) can gunk up the caliper in short order.
2. Scott's bleeding instructions further up the thread work.
For 1. Plan on regular cleaning of the caliper including the sliding frame. Suitable lubrication of the sliding frame pins is a must (not the pad pins)

Back