• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Rear Drive issue

spearquit

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and I believe I need to introduce myself. I own a 2018 V7 III, which is my first bike, and I've been enjoying it for about a year now. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much that I've planned a European road trip at the end of this month.

Unfortunately, after an unexpectedly wet ride today, I cleaned it off and discovered a cracked final drive housing. I had noticed a leak while riding and returned home, unaware of the extent of the damage.

My concerns are twofold. Firstly, out of sheer curiosity, how dangerous was it for me to ride the bike home in this condition? Secondly, and more crucially, based on your experience, what kind of repair am I looking at here? A complete final drive replacement?

With my departure just 20 days away, this issue couldn't have surfaced at a worse time. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• AC6C9EE2-CA02-4C93-8766-A2D63A305F2C.jpeg
    AC6C9EE2-CA02-4C93-8766-A2D63A305F2C.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
Actually, looking at eBay, is this just part of the design? Very sorry all if so.

Eitherway, I have quite a severe final drive leak, and have found a useful thread on the forum to review.

That may or may not be a casting mark, but I've not seen a casting mark that big. In any event, get the rear drive to a dealer to get repaired, and if necessary replaced. Once you remove the wheel, it is only 4 nuts to remove. Drain the oil before you take it to a shop. Once off it wouldn't hurt to grease the splines on the drive shaft.

I'm pretty sure that's a crack. John is correct in his message. If you remove it and clean it, some wizard may (I emphasise "may") be able to TIG weld it. If you do go that route, replace the seals as they could sustain heat damage. Be warned though, that if it's cracked it could now be distorted, albeit slightly.
And please don't ride it in the meantime!

First glance based on all I’ve/we’ve seen at my shop, is that it’s a casting seam. It’s dry. Why they don’t do a quick and fast surface prep is a head-scratcher, but I understand it from a production sense.
I grabbed pics from two different ones off eBay to post below. Where is the leak coming from?

IMG 4724 IMG 4723

Is it proud of the surface?
Is it fully coloured?
If so casting flash.

A crack would have depth you could get a scribe point into or there would be a step in the 2 surfaces.
You might also be able to see a difference between the outer surface paint and the parent metal

If you are still not sure pop the wheel out and see if you can see it on the inside surface.
A crack that leaks oil will have to go all the way through the casting.

Just a flash and I don't see signs of a leak. The III has had a history of sucking in water from a hole in the bottom of the drive tube or a poorly sealed boot. I'd drain the oil, if there is signs of water this might be your issue. Only put in 5.4 ounces. Any more will be spit out.

Just a flash and I don't see signs of a leak. The III has had a history of sucking in water from a hole in the bottom of the drive tube or a poorly sealed boot. I'd drain the oil, if there is signs of water this might be your issue. Only put in 5.4 ounces. Any more will be spit out.
Hi

I have a 2017 v7iii but can't see any hole in the drive tube. How big and where is it?
Also I don't see any mention in the manuals about greasing the drive shaft spline. When is it recommended? I only have about 40,000 km and plan to check it next time I change the tire. On my K75 the spline was rusted and worn at about 80,000 km and I had to change it, is this a problem on the Guzzi too?

I'm not so sure they all have a drain hole. My 2016II didn't. My leak was the boot in the front. The III had a zip tie instead of the metal strap the 2015 had. I peeled the boot back, get it warm with a hair dryer, cleaned then put a good layer of black silastic gasket maker in there and then used a CV joint clamp from the auto parts store.

Back