• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 lll vs V7 850

davethewelder

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I’m thinking of a another used bike possibly new. For sure it would be V7 not into bobber or roamer. Modifications would probably be a cafe style, with slip on muffler, maybe full system with emissions delete and probably an up map tuner! Any reasons to stay with the 750 or go with the 850? Not chasing hp just want a cool bike!

Cool is what looks and feels good to you. The rest is just numbers. Try and ride both, see what is available and go with your gut. They are both great bikes.

I’m thinking of a another used bike possibly new. For sure it would be V7 not into bobber or roamer. Modifications would probably be a cafe style, with slip on muffler, maybe full system with emissions delete and probably an up map tuner! Any reasons to stay with the 750 or go with the 850? Not chasing hp just want a cool bike!
If you're buying new, you only have the V7-850 option unless you find a really old/new stock Mk III. The Mk III version is super solid, and easy to upgrade. The newer E5 850 will be in time. The 850 has a significant boost in power stock, however once you uncork the Mk III (fueling and exhaust), they are quite fun. Price and availability will likely sway your choices. Hope that helps.

I have a 2013 that im selling (has issues), sounds great with Agostini pipes. I like the bike over all. I did test a 2021 Stone, felt to refined, prolly due to being brand new and quite pipes. I might just throw my Desert Sled on Faceplant market place and see what happens.

I have a 2013 that im selling (has issues), sounds great with Agostini pipes. I like the bike over all. I did test a 2021 Stone, felt to refined, prolly due to being brand new and quite pipes.
The Mk III (with mods) is a step up from yours, and the V7-850 a small (and bulkier) step up again. Both are solid motorcycles once sorted if you like the size and power. Both sound fantastic with pipes.

quite pipes
There's always a friend of a friend named Dave that can weld ya sm pipes;) 🤣🤣🤣

I haven't ridden 750 to compare and got 850 based on some opinions that 750 is a teeny weeny short on power. As turns out I glad I did go for 850. It would've been enough 750 for me but after half a year I became slightly hungry for twisties and extra power. Even if I had 750, my riding skills are still miles away to reach it's full potential. Moneywise, 750 is much much cheaper:)

I have two 750's -- a II (Stornello) and III (Special) (in Miami Dolphins livery :giggle:).

I do not have and have not ridden an 850.

So, why would I "contribute" here?

Well, why not? I have an opinion about everything. ;)

Seriously, I have three friends -- A, B, & C -- who have the V7 on Steroids. All are experienced Guzzisti, i.e., not new to the brand or motorcycling.

One ("C") has not owned an earlier V7, and he has put 1500 miles on my III, so that counts. The other two "moved up."

Here's what I have gleaned from them, as I had seriously considered buying an 850.

A - Has a I & III. Liked he 850, but found the power differences between his older 7's and the new to be more on paper than discernible in his butt dyno.

B - Had a I & III. Traded for the 850. Very happy with choice.

C - As stated, has c.1500 miles on my III. VERY happy with his new (now c.5K miles) on his 850.

I had thought about getting the b850 for two-up riding, but my "fighting weight" -- not my svelte bride's -- and the essentially negligible power difference made that a dealbreaker.

So, I don't need a new small block.

That said, if I did not have two already and budget were not a major factor, I would get a new 850. The noticeably more rubust swing arm and other improvements would have me go that way.

OK, I've avoided getting started on chores long enough, but thanks for the opportunity. :)

Best wishes on whatever road you take.

Bill

I’m leaning towards the v-850, I have a V85TT e5 and really like it! I’ll probably go with some slip on mufflers and Up Map, tuning with the Up map looks so easy. Just have to wait to sell the desert sled.

I bought a new old stock V7III just a couple of months before the 850 hit the dealer. I considered waiting but figured I'd be happy with either.

My III has satisfied me in every way. It's been flawless for 10,000 miles and is the best bike I've owned and I've had more that a few.

I'm sure the 850 will be a fine ride but you would not suffer with a V7III.

Beside the other differences noted, the V7 850 feels a little different to sit and ride on. You sit more in the bike Vs on top of the bike on the V7III. For a bigger guy like me the iii felt much smaller even with all the mods I did. The seat is far better than the V7iii so are the rear shocks and the clutch feels lighter as well. Or felt that way to me. The 850 is far better keeping you in clean air at higher speeds.

Power wise a completed uncorked and mapped V7III is great. My Milano had most of the mods you can do including a custom map from Todd. Very, very noticeable and usable difference. If it wasn't for my sizing issues I'd like still have my V7iii

So true, for a guy who has raced dirt bikes and toured a lot on many bikes, my V7lll Milano is a perfect fit, and a work of art, these days I just do a little fair weather riding, already had my days of riding 150 hp bikes and I just enjoy the ride into town!!

Anyone know how to stiffen the throttle on my v7 it’s has such a light touch hard to hold steady speed on the highway.

Anyone know how to stiffen the throttle on my v7 it’s has such a light touch hard to hold steady speed on the highway.
No but you could try this (if you don’t already do it). Both hands the same. When riding hold the grip lightly with your thumb, ring and little fingers but place your index and middle fingers out straight and rest them on top of the brake (and clutch) levers. That way you always have a very steady throttle control even over bumps and stuff because you’ll find your hand does not wobble and consequently jerk the throttle about. I read about this donkeys years ago and it was a revelation. I hope you understand what I am getting at. Pic below. A2EF9B1D 4961 4ABC AA74 201D74E4387F

What Bee said. If, however, that doesn;t work for you, here's another thought.

First, I take it you are not rated in rotary-wing aircraft, and thus have no experience with a cyclic and collective controls?

Well, I have all of 10 seconds experience before my friend pilot screamed and took over again. I found it pretty exciting, too. :eek:

Anyway, I think that RW pilots could be brain surgeons as the deft and teasing touch required for those controls makes my V7 III throttle seem near nonresponsive.

But, yes, I do have a fix in answer to your question.

Install heated grips without reading the directions thoroughly. :giggle:

You will then find that you have a new feature -- cruise control -- at no extra cost ... AND no longer will you have to put up with the shenanigans of the throttle-return cable. :clap:

As you might suppose, I don't recommend this fix.

Seriously, though, I did manage to "reinstall" the right-hand grip in a way that lets the TRC do its job -- which was my goal. The result also makes the throttle grip less "twitchy," tho, in fact, I had not found it as problematic as you report.

Best wishes finding a better answer if there is one.

Bill

The two finger method has worked for me for decades, and in fact every photo ever taken of me riding or racing has that "stance." The other option (though on Bill's similar caveat) you can put an o-ring between the grip and switchgear housing, OR try a throttlerocker.com

Thanks to all! I’ll give it a try, I just took all the slack out of the cables and that seemed to help!

No but you could try this (if you don’t already do it). Both hands the same. When riding hold the grip lightly with your thumb, ring and little fingers but place your index and middle fingers out straight and rest them on top of the brake (and clutch) levers. That way you always have a very steady throttle control even over bumps and stuff because you’ll find your hand does not wobble and consequently jerk the throttle about. I read about this donkeys years ago and it was a revelation. I hope you understand what I am getting at. Pic below.View attachment 28206
Hi,

I second that. It’s not only good for motorway cruising but is also a good throttle hand position around town or on twisty roads - helps keep the elbows down and causes less neck strain whilst cornering. Hope that helps.

Back