• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Emergency service needed - error code P2130

hlavaca1

Just got it firing!
Hi,
my V85TT started to occasionally fall to emergency mode - throttle response and revs. limited, nice experience during countryside drive :-( Local service unfortunately didn't find any error as it didn't appear during the time they had it in workfloor, so that I put my simple CAN reader to topcase and managed to read the error on the road when it happened again. It shows error P2130, don't you have any idea what it means? Generic description points towards throttle position (I have original heated grips). Any advice would be appreciated, I'd like to go to Italy next week and all services around are overloaded :-(.
Thanks,
Antonín

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_153559.jpg
    IMG_20230519_153559.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Many error codes are listed here. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/error-codes-for-5am-7sm-ecus.7966/ Unfortunately that code is not listed. I did a search on the code and it is listed as a throttle position error and not to operate with this code present. This will require a dealer visit.
Thank you John!
I finally manged to persuade local dealer to have a look at it next week, unfortunately the code appears on random basis so that it is not easy to diagnose. "Hope" it will appear on my way to service. I'll keep you updated.

Thank you John!
I finally manged to persuade local dealer to have a look at it next week, unfortunately the code appears on random basis so that it is not easy to diagnose. "Hope" it will appear on my way to service. I'll keep you updated.
Have the dealer do a TPS reset with his software. It may take care of the issue.

Have the dealer do a TPS reset with his software. It may take care of the issue.
I will ask them to do it. Previous owner confirmed that installation was done by dealer, so that they should have done it already. We'll see.
EDIT: TPS reset/calibration was not performed after heated grips installation.

Last edited:
First try to remove the error was not succesfull (SW update), so that throttle grip was exchanged for unheated one, hope it helps.

The twist grip is a potentiometer, I doubt there would be enough difference between the heated grip unit and non-heated unit to cause your errors. The heated grip unit does have a weaker return spring (which makes it easier to hold the “throttle open” while riding.

I had an air leak at the joint between the aluminum throttle body and rubber intake manifold. It caused error codes for manifold absolute pressure out of range and limp mode. A small leak might cause manifold pressure and throttle position to be inconsistent and then cause other error codes without indicating the complete MAP failure that I had. My experience is noted in another thread: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/e5-v85tt-running-issues.22614/

Last edited:
The grip should make no difference to the TPS. Something else is going on.
Isn't the TPS built into the right grip? It certainly looked like it on mine! I had the dealer install heated grips before delivery, and they gave me the original grips, which have the TPS built in. I also saw a video where the owner had a similar problem, and replacing the grips fixed it.

Isn't the TPS built into the right grip? It certainly looked like it on mine! I had the dealer install heated grips before delivery, and they gave me the original grips, which have the TPS built in. I also saw a video where the owner had a similar problem, and replacing the grips fixed it.
TPS is part of the throttle body and is mounted behind the cylinders on the intake tubes. See the parts manual in the Downloads.

The potentiometer in the twist grip provides input to the ECU which indicates the rider’s desired power/torque. The TPS which is part of the throttle body assembly provides actual throttle valve position to ECU. The ECU controls the stepper motor to open/close the throttle valve.

Last edited:
OK, my mistake! Two different "throttles" - what's the sensor built into the grip called?
Your bike is drive by wire. The throttle has a controller for the motor that controls the throttle. There is a seperate map sensor (TPS) on the schematic that tells the ECU the degrees the throttle is open. You are a contributor so you can go to downloads and learn this yourself.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but isn't a map sensor a manifold absolute pressure sensor and seperate from the TPS ?

Yes, the MAP is combined with intake air temperature sensor as a separate unit attached to the intake manifold side of the throttle body. The ECU could trigger various errors if manifold pressure, intake temperature, and throttle position are not all consistent—indicating some problem.

As far as I know, Guzzi has never used a true MAP system. A combination of barometric pressure, throttle position, and air temperature is used to calculate air density/volume for their injections systems. Since there is no turbo, manifold runs at a vacuum compared to atmosphere.

Item 16 for the throttle body (code number 887015) is called the air temperature sensor in the parts catalog. It is on the engine side of the throttle body so it sees the air pressure (usually vacuum) and air temperature in the intake manifold. I verified that with real time data when troubleshooting/repairing the air leak I described in the other thread. Whatever we call it, it is actually measuring absolute manifold pressure and intake air temperature. It measures atmospheric pressure after turning the key on before the engine is started because there is no vacuum at that point. It measures manifold pressure (vacuum) when the engine is running. Therefore, an air leak between the throttle valve and the engine will cause higher pressure (less vacuum) than the ECU would expect for the running conditions. The discrepancies between the actual manifold pressure and the throttle position caused a couple different P1600 error codes with air leak. The barometric pressure was 28.05 inHg and the manifold pressure with the engine running (very rough) was 24.21 inHg during one test so there was a little vacuum even with the air leak.

I was not able to find code P2130 in the manual, but did note that there are two potentiometers in the twist grip and two potentiometers in the throttle body. The ECU compares the signals from both twist grip potentiometers to make sure they agree with each other. It also compares the two throttle body potentiometers to make sure they agree. It sets error codes if there are discrepancies (and activates limp mode, if appropriate).

Final conclusion leads to faulty throttle grip, there were two errors in the end:
P2130 - track knob position error
P1401 - Spring self test learning fail
Service exchanged the throttle grip for the original unheated one, 400km rides without any failure.
I'm leaving to Italy tomorrow, hope it will work fine without any issues, it's a great bike :)

Back