• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve noise

...Resolution!...New cams, and followers...running good, but different, evidently,(am in the process of finding out,) Guzzi replaced with the new grind cams....ergo more bottom end...I love it...although I miss the hit @ 5000 rpm...still, its better...thank you warranty....

I have found out that as little as +0.03 mm on the valve clearance can make quite a difference in the valvetrain noise. Mine went loose by this much in 4000 kms. As well, I am findingthat engine warmed up to a normal temperature is the most quiet. Worst noise is coming from an "overheated" engine.

so, three months later...I'M RIDING!.......however, the Stelvio has changed...STRONGER, lower in the rev range, but no kick at 5000 rpm, and at 6500: it flattens out and will rev no farther...like a soft limiter all of a sudden, strange behavior for this thing that used to run like a banshee if taken to redline...........yet, in spite of this glitch ... I'm starting to kind of like the stronger short shifting...a real nice rhythm to the bike...so, why am I kvetching?...I DO miss the hit at 5000....somebody throw water in my face...dealer insists that the cams are the same original grind, (09),yet it sounds at idle like a one and a half cylinder...hitting stronger on one side than the other...this is all seat of the pants you understand...Spoiled Rotten

Mine fell off at 6500 or so when new, felt like a rev limiter. I can't comment on the low end, but was like a new bike when I fixed it.

It had the cam recall done prior to delivery. Turned out the right hand cam was advanced 2 teeth. I'd sure check them, pull of the round cover on the back of the heads (with the vacuum line attached) and look at the sprocket. It should be obvious if one is off, but you'll need the service manual to verify the procedure.

Keith

right cyl was one-tooth off...and now....6000 miles later- reset clearances, new cams and followers in xlnt condition, and (knock on wood) feel like, having made it through the first 20,000miles, that this Stelvio is good to go....Still the most satisfying machinei I've ever owned in 44 years of riding......here's to happy endings.....gdp

UKstridey said:
Great news! Great to hear that after 44 years! Inspires us all for the future.

cheers
...Thanks...this Stelvio, warm-weather gear, cruising @ 80-90, Mistral growling.....can't beat it...Also, the new one-inch lower footpegs,fantastic,although they do vibrate a bit more than the stock pot-metal/rubber ones....it's not a bother, and, funnily....shifting is a lot smoother due to the different ergos of the feet....Thanks Todd...

had the same shortly after my 1500km check - now at 4300km lots of noise - did a recheck this week and found the everything under the valve cover had to be re-torgued - valve settings were off and gaskets leaking. resulted in poor gas mileage and performance after a 2000k it was getting worse. I had a good old time mechanic check it out and sure enough allot of BO BO's
the dealership never checked before closing the valves up.

northernguzzi said:
had the same shortly after my 1500km check - now at 4300km lots of noise - did a recheck this week and found the everything under the valve cover had to be re-torgued - valve settings were off and gaskets leaking. resulted in poor gas mileage and performance after a 2000k it was getting worse. I had a good old time mechanic check it out and sure enough allot of BO BO's

Curious as to where are you from.

draidt said:
northernguzzi said:

Curious as to where are you from.

Dan, his forum profile indicates he is from Smithers, British Columbia.

Bruce

gdp said:
right cyl was one-tooth off...and now....6000 miles later- reset clearances, new cams and followers in xlnt condition, and (knock on wood) feel like, having made it through the first 20,000miles, that this Stelvio is good to go....Still the most satisfying machinei I've ever owned in 44 years of riding......here's to happy endings.....gdp
R/h cylinder 1 tooth off!!!!!! Your dealer is clearly a moron.I wouldn't be going back to him.
Very lucky not to have bent a valve.
Ciao

...call me lucky then....7000miles later, (27000 total), and this Stelvio is stronger than ever...the mostlovely machine ofmy 44years of riding....Merry Christmas....

Back