• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Warning! Moron alert!!!!

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
Well I screwed up magnificently today. One of the bikes I'd identified as needing the cam recall was trailered up to me, (On my insistence as I didn't want to risk the tappets going to shit!). No worries, Importer had most of the parts, I ordered in the tappets themselves from two other sources so I had a 'Spare' set on the shelf.

Bike arrives, hook into it for what should be a simple three hour job. Get to the LH cylinder cam chain tensioner, slip the screwdriver in between the blade and the cahain and cheerfully say to the customer who is watching. "I know this looks brutal but this is how you do it!"

Famous last words eh! The tensioner shatters!

FUCK!

Head off, cylinder off. Where does the locator bolt for the blade install from? The FUCKING BELL HOUSING!!! :roll:

So today I spent taking the entire powerplant out of an 8VG that came in for the cam swap!

dunce.jpg

Only good news is all the bits are available, in stock at the importer, (Just for all of those people who continually pour shit on JSG.) and I've double ordered from Mario too just to make sure!

Motive unit is out. Job should be completed by early next week and I'll bung the owner a bottle of Irish and take his bike back to him, cap in hand.

Yes, I screwed up badly. But at least I'm willing to come clean. I didn't sell the bike without the recall work having been done!!!! :roll:

Pete

pete roper said:
Famous last words eh! The tensioner shatters!

That’s quite fragile :shock:

Is this the locator bolt that you’re referring to?

LHSchainsliderlocator.jpg

I rather breaking the RHS tensioner/blade, the LHS is truly SINistra :twisted:

I've done lots of 'em and never had a problem. Doesn't stop it being my fault. And yes, That's the bolt! :roll: The reall pisser is that i can't see why it couldn't of gone in from the barrel side which would of caused a lot less fuss and bother. Grrrrr!!!!!

Pete

Pete

Pete,
Having arrived home and thought about the events of the day I had a quiet chuckle when I recalled your
"looks brutal but" followed shortly after by F#@% and the surprised look on you face.
In hindsight it really was rather funny.
To put things in to perspective when I got home we received a call from the daughter of a close friend who let us know that her dad who is about my age is gravely ill and may only be with us for a few weeks or at best a few months.
It kind of makes a broken cam chain tensioner seem not such a big deal. (I do realise it will cause you some grief)

The day wasn't a total loss as I did get to see some of our beautiful Oz countryside which I don't see often enough. This was better than sitting in front of a friggin computer all day and answering questions from numpty's which is what I would have otherwise been doing.
I just thought about it again, shit it was funny.

Mark

Pete,

Don't beat yourself up over this. It can happen to anyone. Anyonewho has turned wrenches for any lenght of time will have a few of these type events in their history.

Nah, Not beating myself up. Never good to do it while the customer is looking over yer shoulder though! :lol:

Does mean I'm in a lot deeper to an 8V than I've been before so it's all interesting! At least it's a Griso not something hard to work on. Engine is out and I'll be pulling the gearbox first thing tomorrow. All bits required are either in stock here with me or on their way from the importer and/or Mario!

Pete

Pete,

If that episode were available on a video, you'd recover your losses overnight. :p

On a less dramatic, 100% more simple, and more imbecilic level, I managed to dismantle the latch mechanism and CPU frame, etc., on the EV while trying to remove the old battery, a way-too-large-to-fit Home Depot garden-tractor battery that I got 4 years ago as a temp replacement. :woohoo:

Trying to get the @#$%^&* latch back together and fitted just so, along with the ECU frame that fell apart will, if I play my cards right, keep me from some post-Thanksgiving domestic chores. When company's here, Kathi becomes Simone Legree ... and I am the newest slave.

Best wishes,

Bill

Pete: It happens to us all, though it doesn't make it an easier pill to swallow. I once smoked a 10,000.00 us magnesium gear case. At least you appear to have an understanding customer, wh ohas things in perspective.
FBC

Looks like you've earned that snazzy Land Speed Racing Helmet your sportn'.

heh heh

Great story.

Alex

Heh Pete,

I know how you feel ...... It could happen to any of us.
I f**ked up many times and like this I offen say to myself it won't happen again! :)

When it does happens "AGAIN" ........ I say to myself .....I'm too old for this SHIT! :angry:

Strange thing with this was that it was nothing unusual. I've done loads of cam jobs on Nuova Hi-Cams now and never had a problem. Yes, getting the screwdriver down between the chain and the tensioner blade is always a bit brutal but I've never had this problem before. All I can think is that I somehow got the tip of the screwdriver on the end of the blade and that is what caused it to shatter.

I can understand them not wanting to have a large plug in the outside of the fins of the LH barrel but you'd think that they might of had a small plug, like the one thet you stick the key through to hold the tensioner out of the way, in the fins at the end of the tensioner plunger 'Tunnel'. Then you could bleed the wretched tensioner down easily without having to use brute force. S'not a problem on the right pot of course.

Pete

Back