• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Water Pump Failure

JPC56

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I thought i was unlucky with my second warranty claim for the exhaust hanger bolt and bracket until I discovered a small leak of engine oil on the centre stand on Saturday morning. Further investigation revealed the source was the water pump shaft seal cavity drain. Just the odd drip but it's not going to stop. Dealer has spoken to Piaggio technical and they have outlined what is involved. Exhaust system, rear wheel, final drive unit, swinging arm, radiator, bodywork, air filter box, fuel tank and finally engine to be removed. Then separate the gearbox from the engine to get to the water pump oil seal. Two days work apparently. The bike is only ten months old with 4230 miles on the clock. Pity MG didn't do what most other manufacturers do and design the water pump to be a simple replaceable unit including both shaft seals. To say I am disappointed is an understatement and this has spoiled my enjoyment of what is otherwise a superb motorcycle. The dealer has penciled in early July for the work and I shall report on progress and the outcome when it happens.

Wow that IS a lot of work to replace a water pump / seal, look how much that's going to cost..... at least this one's on them.

Mechanical things sometimes fail. Especially on a new model design. Luck of the draw really.

Look at the silver lining…at least it happened under warranty.

This is precisely why I purchased the extended 4 year warranty. 👍

I'm extremely glad that I upgraded my warranty, at date of purchase, to 5 years. And, while my V100 S is still under warranty, with the amount of time spent searching the root of the problem was close to 3 months, and the end result being a new engine purchase, I'm sure that the total expense (thankfully not to me) must've been $$$$.

Substandard quality (consistency) seals, substandard quality shaft with burr or roughness, buggered up when installing it ....

I'm extremely glad that I upgraded my warranty, at date of purchase, to 5 years. And, while my V100 S is still under warranty, with the amount of time spent searching the root of the problem was close to 3 months, and the end result being a new engine purchase, I'm sure that the total expense (thankfully not to me) must've been $$$$.

Is that something I can ask my dealer about, they never mentioned a 5 yr warranty option? Can I do retroactively as I only bought it 2 wks ago...

Can you tell me what the upgrade cost? Much appreciated.

Is that something I can ask my dealer about, they never mentioned a 5 yr warranty option? Can I do retroactively as I only bought it 2 wks ago...

Can you tell me what the upgrade cost? Much appreciated.

motoguzzi.com/us_EN/aftersales/warranty-extension/

Yes.

I bought mine from Enzo Miller at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati. He gave me a great price.

Call him and tell him Scott Mastrocinque told you to call him. He will take great care of you.

motoguzzi.com/us_EN/aftersales/warranty-extension/

Yes.

I bought mine from Enzo Miller at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati. He gave me a great price.

Call him and tell him Scott Mastrocinque told you to call him. He will take great care of you.
Thanks that's great info! I'll call him next wk and see - I see it's listed at 1,300 US for 2 yrs, which is already cheaper than my NYC dealer gave me today (1,800)...

I think that it what I paid. It can be purchased from any dealer. Moto Guzzi is the warranty company, not the dealer.

Thanks that's great info! I'll call him next wk and see - I see it's listed at 1,300 US for 2 yrs, which is already cheaper than my NYC dealer gave me today (1,800)...
Since warranty work is dealer dependent, I strongly recommend buying from your local dealer. It’s a negotiable price. Honestly it’s barely worth the paper it’s written on most often. Dealers can deny anything they want. All up to them as they pay out if pocket to repair outside of parts.

Your selling dealer should match the other's advertised price....they are still making good money for filling out a couple pieces of paperwork....( as someone who is dealer trained in F&I).

Update on the oil seal failure. My bike went in to the dealer yesterday to have the work done and today they have been unable to see any obvious problem with the oil seal but replaced it along with the water seal and bearing. However they have found two pieces missing off one of the gearbox gears, the teeth are fine as are the engagement dogs but they are trying to get hold of a new gear. I had not been aware of any odd gearbox noise and the gear changes have always been positive. I have asked for a photograph of the gear to see for myself just what is missing. Hopefully a new part can be sourced soon.

Update on the oil seal failure. My bike went in to the dealer yesterday to have the work done and today they have been unable to see any obvious problem with the oil seal but replaced it along with the water seal and bearing. However they have found two pieces missing off one of the gearbox gears, the teeth are fine as are the engagement dogs but they are trying to get hold of a new gear. I had not been aware of any odd gearbox noise and the gear changes have always been positive. I have asked for a photograph of the gear to see for myself just what is missing. Hopefully a new part can be sourced soon.

What possible reason did they have for disassembling the gearbox? That is the only way they could see as far as I know. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever given the information you have provided.

The only way to remove and replace the water pump oil seal, water seal and bearing is by removing the gearbox casing. The gear clusters are then on display along with the selector drum and selector forks.

Thank you. I have never seen the powertrain apart on one yet.

Hopefully I won't either because mine has had enough service bay visits for repairs. 😩

The only way to remove and replace the water pump oil seal, water seal and bearing is by removing the gearbox casing. The gear clusters are then on display along with the selector drum and selector forks.
Thanks Piaggio, for making one of the most durable and easy to work on engines ever, into a disastrous mess to avoid at all cost for small shops, which is even worse for owners outside of warranty. Better have good dealer service close by and a big bank account. I won’t be touching them outside of basic service and tuning.

Further update. The gear in question is the primary driven scissor gear and two pieces of the thin sprung gear have broken off. New parts ordered last Wednesday from Italy 7 to 9 days apparently. Nothing to do with the shock loading on the transmission when engaging first gear when stationary?

Further update. The gear in question is the primary driven scissor gear and two pieces of the thin sprung gear have broken off. New parts ordered last Wednesday from Italy 7 to 9 days apparently. Nothing to do with the shock loading on the transmission when engaging first gear when stationary?

Are you still only around 4,500 miles on the odometer?

Back