• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Water Pump Failure

Your selling dealer should match the other's advertised price....they are still making good money for filling out a couple pieces of paperwork....( as someone who is dealer trained in F&I).
When doing warranty work, some companies don’t pay anything close to the shop labour price, they pay a ridiculous rate based on who knows what, but they do cover the parts replaced.
So its almost not worth the dealers time to do the work.
( This is based on my work in the computer industry doing warranty work for IBM )

When doing warranty work, some companies don’t pay anything close to the shop labour price, they pay a ridiculous rate based on who knows what, but they do cover the parts replaced.
So its almost not worth the dealers time to do the work.
( This is based on my work in the computer industry doing warranty work for IBM )
I completely agree, though my experience is with HP.

After looking at the official engine shop manual today, it appears that the water pump coolant side seal and bearing can be replaced after removing just the water pump cover and impeller. Might have to machine up some type of tool to get the seal out but it looks doable. As for the oil seal there’s no way around it. If it needs replacing the back of the transmission needs to come off to get to the seal. Personally if it was my V100 and just a little bit of oil was dripping from the tube, I might just monitor and live with it rather than letting the dealer disassemble the bike and hope everything got put back together correctly.

The oil leak was vary minor but it wasn't going to get better only worse, better to have it done under warranty as it is costly. To remove the water seal and bearing you need to remove the water pump shaft which can only be done by removing the gearbox casing. As noted above a broken primary drive gear which I knew nothing about was found, that could have caused a lockup of the transmission which is something I could do without!

I truly believe that things happen for a reason even if we don't realize it.

I'm happy this was discovered before any harm could come from it.

Good Luck!

Another update! I have now been told that the broken gear is the crankshaft scissor gear that drives the starter clutch or balance shaft as MG calls it. I would have thought that once the section of missing teeth appeared then the scissor section would spring out of alignment meaning that it would be almost impossible to mesh resulting in a lot of damage. I have been assured that all relevant parts will be replaced and the bike will be as new. It's not knowing what caused these failures that worries me.

Reactions: BDS
Another update! I have now been told that the broken gear is the crankshaft scissor gear that drives the starter clutch or balance shaft as MG calls it. I would have thought that once the section of missing teeth appeared then the scissor section would spring out of alignment meaning that it would be almost impossible to mesh resulting in a lot of damage. I have been assured that all relevant parts will be replaced and the bike will be as new. It's not knowing what caused these failures that worries me.
I understand your concern. With the repair documented you should be good if there is a future failure. However, if the shop does as they say, you should be fine.

It's not knowing what caused these failures that worries me.

Mechanical failure is just that, mechanical failure.

Parts are designed and constructed to serve particular purposes for a period of time but sometimes, their service life ends abruptly and unexpectedly.

It's part of the system.

No sense worrying about this.

The first of this failure that I have heard of. Just one of those unusual things that can happen. Not all parts are 100%, there can be a substandard part from time to time. It happens. I got a 1400 with 500 miles on it with a new engine, the original dropped a valve. Did I worry about it? Nope. I rode it for many miles until it got too heavy for me.
kk

Back