• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What goes wrong with flat tappets??

Nothing is wrong with flat tappets. Unfortunately, oil formulations have changed over the years and if you don't have enough zinc (ZDDP) in your oil, the tappets/cam will wear prematurely. The Guzzi design is as good as it ever was. Unfortunately, oil is not. Oil manufacturers have been pressured by automobile manufacturers to remove zinc so that their catalytic converters will last 100,000 or more. Blame the EPA.

If you are comparing oils, I believe the magic number for zinc is 1200 ppm.

BTW, MG is not the only company struggling with this. The 2.0 liter turbo in my VW uses a cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump (direct injection) that suffers from the same problem. Despite the DLC (diamond like carbon) coating on the follower, some owners have experienced failures and VW has extended the warranty on those engines (produced from 2006 to 2008) to 120,000 miles for those failures. Mid 2008 VW changed the engine design and the high pressure pump is now driven off the timing chain. Basically, VW gave up and changed the design. MG is doing the same by going to roller tappets.

I bought a zinc additive and add it to my oil (in both my V7 and my VW).

Thanks for that...probably worth looking into additives then!! I assume the 10/60 is as good as it can get within the current restrictions then...

The viscosity rating has nothing to do with ZDDP levels.

IMO you should go for an oil with the highest ZDDP you can get but this may only be part of the problem. My own feeling is a lot of the 'Issues' are created by owners and shops that don't think and like to lie around feebly flapping their flippers and complaining about how hard done by they are when a lot of the problem is due to them trying to use a sledgehammer to crack an egg.

YOMV, I really don't care.

Pete

Other than the oil breather pipe, how would oil vapours contaminate the cat??
(Sorry Pete. I did interpret that slightly wrong!)

Not vapours, oil leaking past rings once the engine is past its prime. Having said the I know of one old Cali II owned by a well respected member of this board who has over 200,000 MILES on his engine and it has never had the heads and barrels off.........

Pete

pete roper said:
I know of one old Cali II owned by a well respected member of this board who has over 200,000 MILES on his engine and it has never had the heads and barrels off.........Pete

Heh. and I know of a Cal2 with over 300,000 miles still running original rings and not requiring oil between changes.

But; you know what? I've decided that I'm not interested in taking that bike to 400,000 miles when the new bikes are just so much better in every way. And, why did I open this thread in the first place? Because in a few days I'm picking up a new Stelvio. If the 2013 Griso only had a bigger tank, I'd likely be going for that, but 8.5 gallons just makes me smile. Now, there are no limits to where I can go.

Keep in mind, it is not only the new Guzzi's that have flat tappets. Most of them do. V11's and Cali's, etc.
Many other brand motors have flat tappets too. It is a perfectly reasonable way to actuate the valves.
The ZDDP level, much more so then the weight of the oil, and making sure the oil gets up to temp so it can burn off the condensation seems key to a happy motor. That second part may be an issue for some people in some areas. If you pull a valve cover or otherwise go into the oil system and find something that looks like mayonnaise or latte foam something is not right and failure to resolve the issue will likely result in failure....
It does not matter who made the motor, water contamination in the oil will cause failure.

Thanks for all the replies. The initial conversation did give me the "hollow stomach feel" initially by is seems trivial to be concerned about it. I know Alfa Romeo's of old had exactly the same set-up and once my dad actually got one that didn't constantly breakdown, he did manage 300 000 miles with it, no bother. I'll keep my eye on it but certainly riding the bloody thing and getting it hot/working properly would be a sensible approach any given day.

Thanks again! ;)

Back