• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What is this, and where is it supposed to be?

MCW-RI

Just got it firing!
The first picture is this braided steel line with a fitting on the end, and it clearly has a rubber grommet that should be pressed through a hole in a bulkhead somewhere. The second photo is where this line was sort of laying/resting below the seat when I got my Stelvio. I looked around and didn’t see any grommet holes of the appropriate size. The other end connects to a banjo fitting on the end cap on the rear of the transmission. What am I missing? What is this tube before, and where is this end supposed to live? A5EBBD9F 7D6C 4B5F AF62 BB32975565B2
FF9E0B41 DCD1 4909 AE8C 00BE90F43E9A

It's the clutch bleeding port. Your "clearly has a rubber grommet that should be pressed through a hole in a bulkhead somewhere" is 100% incorrect!

It lives right under the seat on the left hand side of the airbox (you can see it in my photo below) where it is laying. The rubber grommet is to keep it from banging the metal head on things under the seat.

If you don't understand it, I suggest you do not mess with it until you spend some time reading about it. You can do a SEARCH for keywords, as there are other previous posts about this component.

DSCF0206 copy

Also, you are missing your seat bolster blocks. (You can see them above) They should be sitting on that silver piece with the 2 square posts and 2 groves cut into it. One way is the regular height, then if you reverse them, you get a higher seat. Maybe you pulled them out to take the photo.

Last edited:
Scott beat me to it. It's also covered in the Owner's & Service Manual. A few models have a home for it, like a welded on frame tab fork. I recommend you use it. I do mine monthly when I'm riding it often. You'll find a considerable amount of air in it almost weekly. If your clutch feels limp at the lever, bleed it. Last bit of free (and likely ignored) advice from me.

Where is that grommet supposed to be secured? I’ve looked through my Stelvio service station manual and can’t find it.

Oops replied without seeing the second update from GTM. Maybe it’s supposed to just sit there as it is doing in my Stelvio, there’s no frame tab around that I can find. It certainly doesn’t seem like it’s going to cause any trouble or move it very much as it lays there. Thank you, I will definitely bleed the clutch and brakes!

Oops replied without seeing the second update from GTM. Maybe it’s supposed to just sit there as it is doing in my Stelvio, there’s no frame tab around that I can find. It certainly doesn’t seem like it’s going to cause any trouble or move it very much as it lays there. Thank you, I will definitely bleed the clutch and brakes!

Umm...

It lives right under the seat on the left hand side of the airbox (you can see it in my photo below) where it is laying. The rubber grommet is to keep it from banging the metal head on things under the seat.

Last edited:
Right, see what’s happening is I am replying without refreshing my browser and am missing some postings from you folks. I know how to bleed stuff just haven’t seen it on my previous bikes with a hose and fitting so far removed from the clutch slave cylinder. As far as the other comment yes the seat risers were missing because I was reversing them to try the lower seat height setting.

Right, see what’s happening is I am replying without refreshing my browser and am missing some postings from you folks. I know how to bleed stuff just haven’t seen it on my previous bikes with a hose and fitting so far removed from the clutch slave cylinder. As far as the other comment yes the seat risers were missing because I was reversing them to try the lower seat height setting.
It's covered in your Owner's Manual, not the Service manual. I see Scott has updated his post with useful info as always.
My "use it" comment was to bleed it frequently. Guzzi did you and us a favor by putting this extension lead/port on it, otherwise it would be a literal nightmare to access. If your bike has a grommet on that line, it should have a forked tab to secure it. I'll check mine later today. I've owned two Stelvios, an '09 and a '13 (which I'll never sell), bought new in each model year . I service them often in my O.C. workshop.

Thanks again to you both for the quick comments. I have both this service station manual and the owner‘s manual that I downloaded and printed, oddly the service station manual says nothing about clutch fluid. I will look around in the forums for specific information.

Attachments

• E651D7D2-8B74-4FBB-ACE6-3E01CEA9186E.jpeg
    E651D7D2-8B74-4FBB-ACE6-3E01CEA9186E.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2
The owners manual I also have printed only mentions topping up the fluid and says take it to a dealer if you need to do anything else regarding clutch fluid. Thanks for your detailed replies. My Stelvio is a 2013, I just got it last spring, it is my first Guzzi. Like I said I’ll look through the forums for other information.

The owners manual I also have printed only mentions topping up the fluid and says take it to a dealer if you need to do anything else regarding clutch fluid. Thanks for your detailed replies. My Stelvio is a 2013, I just got it last spring, it is my first Guzzi. Like I said I’ll look through the forums for other information.
Very good, please do. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stelvio-registry-pics-thread-add-your-bike.11540/
Congrats and welcome to the Famiglia.

To be honest they did Todd, I wish Bimota had on their SB6. It's a complete B*****d to bleed and clutch slave and front sprocket maintenance is frame off! In it's defence I can have the carbs off in 15 mins!

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 15
OUCH! That would drive me insane to suffer absolutely horrible engineering design like that! That was a screw up for sure!

OUCH! That would drive me insane to suffer absolutely horrible engineering design like that! That was a screw up for sure!
True!
they're a great road bike, the old GSXR1100 water cooled lump is lovely and torquey and 5 nicely spread gears. First production bike with a self supporting seat unit. the SB6 was the most popular model they ever made, 1100 units
I made these stands, sold a few. Much easier to lift an 11kg frame off the top. you cant'd drop the engine out easily as like Ducati the engine supports the swingarm
Back in 2017 at Manchester show we had the largest gathering of Bimota's thought to have ever been seen outside of the factory. Back then they're only made 3500 in around 44 years!

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
I've never ridden a Bimota but their chassis and handling were legendary. That's why people bought them from what I knew.

yes, back in the day when the Japanese made good engines but poor chassis's bimota made their own chassis and instead of reinventing the wheel used good Japanese engines.
SB6 is Suzuki engined Bimota 6th model. YB6 would be the 6th Yamaha engined model
They did some early HB and KB (Honda and Kawasaki) models but not many. Late 80's and 90's were mostly Yamaha and Suzuki powered and probably less so the Ducati engines, tho they were found it the ground breaking Tesi hub centred steered bikes.
More lately they've used Ducati motors. The ill fated VDue was their own design of 500 2 stroke engine.
I have a YB11 (Thunderace - the pre R1). they were made 95-98. Tho typically it is late registered in 2003. The SB6 is a 94-96 model
Both of theses were circa £16.5k new. The engines' original home in the Thunderace and GSXR1100 were probably £9k at the time
Of course now the Japanese have caught up on chassis design/ engineering. The Bimota are an enthusiasts bike like the Guzzi really, your wouldn't want to do 100k on a bimota tho probably!
my YB11 has done 3000dry miles
that frame part is machined from billet

Attachments

• IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3382.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 4
It's the clutch bleeding port. Your "clearly has a rubber grommet that should be pressed through a hole in a bulkhead somewhere" is 100% incorrect!

If you don't understand it, I suggest you do not mess with it until you spend some time reading about it. You can do a SEARCH for keywords, as there are other previous posts about this component.

View attachment 24550

Also, you are missing your seat bolster blocks. (You can see them above) They should be sitting on that silver piece with the 2 square posts and 2 groves cut into it. One way is the regular height, then if ygou reverse them, you get a higher seat. Maybe you pulled them out to take the photo.
I don't have these seat bolsters either. Have had the bike since 2011 and always thought the seat forces you forward into the tank. These fitted would make that worse as I don't secure the seat on its screw-in mounts to allow it to be lower at the back.

I don't have these seat bolsters either. Have had the bike since 2011 and always thought the seat forces you forward into the tank. These fitted would make that worse as I don't secure the seat on its screw-in mounts to allow it to be lower at the back.

What? I don’t understand you here. What screw in mounts? The Stelvio saddle doesn’t have screw in mounts.

Back