• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What's It Worth?

Let's assume I had a ran-when-disassembled but complete '73 Eldorado in boxes. The engine and gearbox are not disassembled BTW. What's it worth?
Only what someone is willing to pay for it. Ran when parked or disassembled is a red flag to many. I recommend contacting Harper's Moto Guzzi and see if they will buy it for the parts if you are in a hurry to move it. If you are looking to purchase, it was disassembled for a reason. Find out the reason. If to do a restoration, you will have that cost plus many hours of labor to put it all back together. I would only offer about $500.00 for it and then decide to part it, restore it, or just assemble it. It is an old bike so it may have some issues that need to be addressed. An example is the cylinders were chrome lined. You don't want to start an old engine with these cylinders. Giladoni cylinders and pistons would run you about $800.00 when you include all the gaskets and o-rings required.

It depends on the condition of the parts - clean with some patina, or rusted and corroded? Police or civilian? Bodywork in original paint or repainted? Original cylinders with chrome-plated bores? How many miles? For reference, I sold a '73 civilian Eldo basketcase with bodywork in all original paint, still had chrome bores, clean with no rust or corrosion for $2500 two years ago.

It depends on the condition of the parts - clean with some patina, or rusted and corroded? Police or civilian? Bodywork in original paint or repainted? Original cylinders with chrome-plated bores? How many miles? For reference, I sold a '73 civilian Eldo basketcase with bodywork in all original paint, still had chrome bores, clean with no rust or corrosion for $2500 two years ago.
He must have really wanted an Eldorado!

He must have really wanted an Eldorado!
Albeit a couple of years old, my pricing guide indicates $2,500 for this year and model in #6 condition (there’s no #7 condition BTW) which gives me an idea of the upper end of the range confirmed by your actual experience.

tooooo many questions here to answer. the condition of things like rims, instruments, mufflers, and fuel tank are pretty critical.

No, not at all. Nice, original paint bodywork is worth most of that. If it had been rattle-canned by Hillbilly Joe's brother-in-law, then it would have still been worth $1k.
Not in my market area. Guzzis go dirt cheap.

More info:
-Engine complete rebuild in 2002
-Gearbox serviced in 2004
-Bike disassembled in 2004 for restoration
-$1500 in resto parts purchased from MG Cycle never installed still in packaging
-Frame powdercoated and tin painted in 2004 (too bad none was in black)
-Wheels/spokes clean w/o cracks, beaks or rust
-Sitting in garage in boxes since 2004
-a few pics of before disassembly and now attached

I did make a deal on this and picked it up on Saturday but would like to know what you think a fair price would have been.

Attachments

• Books Tools - Copy.jpg
    Books Tools - Copy.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Fenders - Copy.jpg
    Fenders - Copy.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 16
  • Frame Engine.jpg
    Frame Engine.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Tank Sidecases.jpg
    Tank Sidecases.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19
in my area a running, complete eldorado bottoms out at around $3000. This one has some nice paint - assuming it is nice, and you actually like the colour.

but, as it's disassembled we can't really consider the engine to be 'running'. a newly rebuilt engine that's never been run is almost worse, to me, than a non-running engine that I can at least diagnose. unless you were confident in the shop that did the work I suppose. I've never had a shop like that local to me, but I'm told they exist.

I'm not sure about the blue frame, I don't think I would consider that 'added value' personally...

I certainly shy away from disassembled bikes. lots of damage can be done during disassembly, and ensuring it's really complete is difficult.

but new parts are good! I would be happy to pay $1.5-2k for this in my home market. helped by the fact that I very much want an early eldorado.

in my area a running, complete eldorado bottoms out at around $3000. This one has some nice paint - assuming it is nice, and you actually like the colour.

but, as it's disassembled we can't really consider the engine to be 'running'. a newly rebuilt engine that's never been run is almost worse, to me, than a non-running engine that I can at least diagnose. unless you were confident in the shop that did the work I suppose. I've never had a shop like that local to me, but I'm told they exist.

I'm not sure about the blue frame, I don't think I would consider that 'added value' personally...

I certainly shy away from disassembled bikes. lots of damage can be done during disassembly, and ensuring it's really complete is difficult.

but new parts are good! I would be happy to pay $1.5-2k for this in my home market. helped by the fact that I very much want an early eldorado.

The mechanical work was done by two local shops i'm very familiar with and trust. The PO said it ran great until 2004 when he lost all but 4th gear on a ride, removed the gearbox and had it serviced, then decided to take the bike apart and restore it.

The mechanical work was done by two local shops i'm very familiar with and trust. The PO said it ran great until 2004 when he lost all but 4th gear on a ride, removed the gearbox and had it serviced, then decided to take the bike apart and restore it.
Were Gilardoni cylinders and pistons installed? If not that is the first thing that needs to be done.

Were Gilardoni cylinders and pistons installed? If not that is the first thing that needs to be done.
The invoice copy doesnt indicate the manufacturer, only that two cylinders and pistons were purchased at a total cost of $700. Based on this, the BMW/Triumph/MG dealer service department that did the work, and the discussion with the PO about how it was running prior to the disassembly, that's not the first thing i'm going to do.

The invoice copy doesnt indicate the manufacturer, only that two cylinders and pistons were purchased at a total cost of $700. Based on this, the BMW/Triumph/MG dealer service department that did the work, and the discussion with the PO about how it was running prior to the disassembly, that's not the first thing i'm going to do.
That means it was done. Check.
You words feel a touch disrespectful to John. Listen to his advice when he gives it. A rare few here in which to do so, and he's one.

Sorry, but however a nice and honest, straight up guy you are ,the buyer won’t know you from Adam or a snake oil salesman.
When it’s our own bike, we take it personally..
But you won’t be selling it to yourself, so be prepared for John Q Public…

Together and running - you’ve got a proposition,
New paint and parts in boxes, it’s a crapshoot !

if it’s ready to go - reassemble it, or get someone to do it…otherwise it *may* still be in those boxes… years from now ;(

Sorry.
Don

Back