• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

While its in bits.....

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
Would people like me to take and post up some pics of this 8V engine I'm workin' on? The parts won't be here until later today/tomorrow and it's all apart on the bench, (As far as it needs to be Mark! I haven't completely stripped it for shit and giggles. I can if you want? :twisted: ) so it's no big deal. If nobody's intersted I won't bother though.

Pete

Actually Mark, while the frame is sitting with it's arse in the air I'll go through and add a whole load of grease to all the bits that the factory leaves conspiculously grease free on assembley! Nothing important mind, just stuff like the swingarm bearings and shock linkages!!!! :lol: :roll:

If it's not too much trouble ....... I would.
Thanks

Oh
pete roper said:
while the frame is sitting with it's arse in the air I'll go through and add a whole load of grease :
If you can make it cough .... that would be great too! :woohoo:

9b19833064869e994239bf02373b4e84a88fef12.gif

Pete, since the bike is subjected to cam recall. I would assume it has the earlier engine that doesn’t shimmed for camshafts end float.

Could you take some measurement to see what the typical camshaft end floats on these engines are? :)

Phang

Errr? Yes, I could. Or you could simply deduce from the fact that recommended end float is now just under 0.1mm and they make, (Or claim to make!) a series of shims ranging between the previously mentioned maximum and minimum that 'Current' end float is greater than the thickness of those shims plus 3 thou or just under 0.1 mm. Yes?

Pete

Bugger!

5206050312_4b882dbc14_z.jpg

More Bugger!

5205461003_7a4e2a2b2f_z.jpg

Bum Bugger!

5205469545_b0265eb913_z.jpg

Yippee! At least you can get the plug and retaing bolt for the tensioner out without de-mounting the poxy flywheel!!! Let the joy be unconfined!!!!

5205483461_ca8c81a8f1_z.jpg

Short skirts are the order of the day at Noale! Nice modern piston design.

5206087274_0c88344a64_z.jpg

A lot of the combustion chamber is in the piston crown. They get more like diesels every year!!! :lol:

5206094244_a95d3231f8_z.jpg

Single plate clutch is very 'Car Like'. Absence of any lube on splines concerns me a bit. I'm told BMW's tend to tear the splines out if un-lubed.

5205500237_d009101f4d_z.jpg

Splines are pary of input shaft, which is one piece and expensive! Worth looking after!!!

5206105606_d672edd9a1_z.jpg

Mea Culpa!!! The bit I boogered!!!! All eight bucks worth!!! :roll:

5206119484_b001091d28_z.jpg

Rods are substantial and look VERY robust and of high quality! Note oil sprays on the rods themselves, (Which are numbered and faced.) and that *thing* poking in from the left of the mouth is the oil spray directed at the base of the piston crowns f or added cooling, (Just like a diesel!!! :mrgreen: )

5206151122_71818ff2e7_z.jpg

Look at the thickness of the cylinder spigot! While increasing the stroke by much will be a bit difficult, (See previous pic) They can bore this thing out by nearly another centimetre I'd guess!!!

5206160280_46fc65ca4c_z.jpg

And this little bastard is part of the reason we're here! It's the tensioner plunger. It fits in behind the 'Mobile' blade, (The one I broke!) and has a ball valve in the bottom, (Visible in the second pic.) To bleed it down you have to drive a screwdriver down betwixt chain and tensioner and FORCE the blade to compress the plunger to such a degree that it 'Bleeds down' between the inner plunger and outer body. If there was some way of pushing the ball valve from the 'Outside' it would not be nearly as fraught! RH cylinder the tensioner can be removed simply by removing the plug in the valley of the motor. LH side needs the rigmarole with the screwdriver. :x

5206164626_ac89be8bc0_z.jpg

5205571877_d4ab45c92d_z.jpg

Anyway. I gotta go cook din-dins! More later.

Pete

Sorry Pete, I can’t help but laughing at my computer screen for a good 1 minute when I see these pics :lol: :lol: :lol:

The amount of work required and bits that need to be taken apart just for a tensioner blade replacement is simply unimaginable :shock:

This is only second to a BMW oilhead engine where tensioner blade replacement requires splitting the crankcase into halves.

Phang

This is the first time I've taken the donk out of an 8VG. I've done a couple of Brevas, (OK, but more work.) and one Norge, (Sometimes I have nightmares about the Norge and a bit of wee comes out!). Like it's natural ancestor the T3 getting the donk out of a Griso is not really a huge deal. Mark left, (Probably cursing me to the depths of Hades.) at about what? 12.30PM. By 3.00PM I was essentially ready to drop the motive unit out of the frame. Compared to MANY modern motorbikes a Guzzi, at least a Griso, is a piece of cake to work on!

This morning I did the parts run for Graham and was back in the workshop by 10.30AM. I rounded everybody up and we played 'Lets frig about with this thing I've never taken to bits before and get the motor out!'. Apart from finding there is a weird mounting bolt that goes through the breather box into the front of the timing chest it was a straight 'Lift and pull' and we had the engine on the bench with narry a scratch by 10.45!

Disassembling it to where it is now took me another twenty minutes. This is NOT big-noting myself. For anyone *new* to Guzzi and the way they do stuff it would probably of taken considerably longer, (But maybe not!) The thing is I've seen the way these bikes have 'Evolved' over thirty years so I essentially have a pretty good idea what to expect and how to tackle it.

At the end of the day, yes, I screwed up. But fixing a screw-up of this nature isn't as 'Big' a job as it is with many machines because Guzzis, even the *new* ones, remain stone-axe simple and easy to work on. For all of the old 'Sky is falling' corn-cob-pipists who can't move beyond points, pushrods and carbs protestations one of the continuing joys of Guzzidom is their essential simplicity. I really rate that and still consider it to be one of the things that makes them 'GREAT' motorbikes.

pete

pete roper said:
Christ on a bike! I know some eople think I'm a bit 'Out There' but surely I can't be compared to that raving nut-job!!!??? :blink:

Pete

No he has the wisdom that great leadership demonstrates

Agree
"Splines are pary of input shaft, which is one piece and expensive! Worth looking after!!!"
I question what would be the reasoning behind this .......... but a little lube would'nt hurt!!! :whistle:

Looks like a little more deposit on the exhaust side of the piston but overall it's in excellent shape.
Out of curiosity how many miles on this baby?

How many miles? About 2000. It would be a sorry state of affairs if it ddn't look good on the inside!

As for the gearbox input shaft? Standard automotive practice. Cheaper than a separate input boss to manufacture, fewer parts etc. You don't want much lube on the splines. It would contaminate the clutch. In this location I tend to be a bit ambivalent about lube for that reason. Best way to prevent spline damage is not to sit with the clutch pulled in for any length of time. At least with the new bikes the idle speed is sensibly high so thrashing the splines out is less likely to be an issue than on older bikes where people insist on setting the idle at 700RPM :roll:

Pete

OK, so here's a few more pics of stuff.

Outer rear stud on the left hd a boogered dowel ex-factory. I ended up having to remove the stud from the block to get the barrel off and then ground off the dowel. New ones? In stock in Sydney.

5206197858_e9432e87e1_z.jpg

Cam boxes. When the cams and tappets are in good condition and un-worn, with the tappets on the base circles of the cams the tops of the tappets protrude just above the cambox casting. You can see them here peeking out below where my fingers are keeping pressure on the rockers to keep the pushrods in place. If the tops of the tappets are BELOW the level of the cambox casting then something is wearing. Either the cam or the tappet.

5205578947_db1b474b50_z.jpg

'Nuther view with rocker off, revealing the pushrod.

5205586421_14145abacb_z.jpg

Once inverted the bottom of the cambox can be removed to allow removal of the cam. Note the two tiny, (And fragile!) dowels in the cambox casting to ensure correct allignment. Also visible on the end of the allen key T-bar on the right is the locating pin for the cam chain tensioner. It stuck on the key and I hadn't got arrond to getting it off yet. It's there purely by chance!!! :lol:

5206136534_6a88e43563_z.jpg

New and old tappets are significantly different.

5199667159_c3657367b2_z.jpg

5199639929_8a1b7b1557_z.jpg

Pete

Jon, overall the build quality is pretty good. At least up to the standards of some recent Ducatis I've had the misfortune to find broken down beside the road between here and the coast and certainly higher than almost any product of Nippon apart from the 'Workhorses'. Funnily enough it seems like the 'Show Ponies' from the 'Big 4' are actually built with much less care than the humble Honda CT110! Probably the machine with the longest production life ever! I think Gregory Peck's mum was taken to hospital on the back of one when she went into labour!

I found two loose bolts, only one of which was *Important*. There was the issue with the boogered dowels betwixt head and barrel and the cable tying of some of the cabling was a bit 'How's yer father' but all of the *serious shit* was done well. Mark's bikes is also, like mine, one of the very early ones. These are easily identified because they don't have the diamond shaped plastic shields over the injectors. Presumably they were on 'Back order' :laugh: . Yes we can all get on our high horses and say that anything that is put on the market should be perfect from the get-go, and the 'Chocolate Tappets' fiasco should NEVER of occured, but overall I'm impressed and happy with everything I see about the post Piaggio bikes, especially the 8V's.

Pete

PS. They still have an aversion to getting their hands greasy! None of the 'Greased' bearings, (Swingarm, shock linkages, (?) steering head.) had any worth mentioning. Uncle Kim would of had their heads on a plate!!! :shock: :twisted:

PHARK Pete
so many pieces in so little time, what am I going to tell my bank Manager when he asks what I did with the Mortgage money.

All is ok as long as when I get it back I don't also get a a carboard box full of bits with a note saying
"I'm not sure where all of these things go".

I am sure Pete will do a much better job than Luigi in reassembling the bike, he probably will correct some of the Luigi’s mistakes along the way too.

Reassembly will take a little bit longer as Pete is going to do it blindfolded this time :lol:

Mark111 said:
PHARK Pete
so many pieces in so little time, what am I going to tell my bank Manager when he asks what I did with the Mortgage money.

All is ok as long as when I get it back I don't also get a a carboard box full of bits with a note saying
"I'm not sure where all of these things go".

It's not costing you a cent! My screw up! My fix! Simple as that. Only bits in a box will be the old tappets and a broken tensioner, (Unless you want a selection of used gaskets and o-rings to drip oil in the back of your car!!!! :lol: )

Back