• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Windcreens

GrahamNZ

High Miler
The issue of screens for sensible road bikes comes up repeatedly. To many, no screen is best, and for avoiding helmet buffeting I agree that it is, but on bikes where you're sitting upright, sustained highway speeds are very tiring.

Arriving at a screen which works for you can be a frustrating issue. When you find one, rejoice! At the risk of boring the pants off older forumisti, here are my thoughts and experiences.

Motorcycles are a streamlining nightmare compared with well streamlined cars. Far too much frontal area and really bad induced and parasitic drag. That makes any screen at best just another compromise. What may work well for the rider may be bad for any passenger and vice versa. Similarly what works on one bike may not on another, and for one rider not for another. What works at some speeds may not at others.

The first step is to decide what you want a screen to deliver. Just relief from torso wind pressure? For that a short screen will work best, minimising helmet buffeting and noise, allowing good vision in rain as the windblast clears rain drops from your visor, and ensuring your visor will get bug-spattered at times.

A very high and large screen may give you great protection but looking through one is a very bad thing when the screen inevitably gets dirty, scratched and when it rains.

Spoiler screens sometimes work quite well, but often they don't because all they do is re-direct the turbulence, often increasing it at the same time.

Adjustable screens seldom work well and if motorised the control button will get a lot of use. On every bike I've ridden with a motorised screen, it has worked best when in the lowest position. That is largely because as the screen rises the angle also steepens, moving the top further from your visor. A screen which maintained angle as raised would be a breakthrough. Suzuki had one that did that once, but it never had enough height to be really effective.

The Suzuki V-Strom is a bike with many great features but let down by its screen. (And its appearance according to many!) Various ploys are available and some even work, but make the appearance even worse. The real problem is the typical one - the screen top is simply too far from the rider's visor.

So, is there an answer? From my experiences there is, but it's rare to achieve it. This is it - the screen top needs to be level with the tip of the rider's nose and 200 - 250mm in front of the visor. If you have a screen you can prove this for yourself by moving yourself so that your helmet is in that position. On a few bikes I have achieved the ideal, including on my Breva with the setup shown below but with the screen add-on fitted inside the main screen to move the top slightly higher and even closer to my visor. Sorry but no photo of that yet.
Screenaddon6-1.jpg

Deflectortop3.jpg

The summer setup is a compromise which does work but looks rather odd.

WithGTR1400atTinui.jpg

Visor to screen top distance!!

B.jpg

This one is great, helped by the bike being so short anyway.

Hybridscreenbigger.jpg

The best ever. My home built bike from 1973.

Graham

Forgot this one. It's a Givi A600 screen which worked very well in reducing wind pressure on the torso. Kiwi Dave followed suit on one of his Brevas. The black area is painted satin-black inside the screen so looks glossy on the outside.

Brevawithsmallerscreenside.jpg

Graham

Graham, I'm pretty new around here, and I may be asking a well answered question, but you can't tease like that....... I WANT MORE DETAILS OF THAT HOME BUILD!!!!!

Sorry for shouting, but fiddling with screens, changing oils and twiddling with injectors pales into insignificance when presented with a bit of real welding and machining..... spill the beans, please. Is it Honda based?

2000 1200c

"Thanks for your inquiry!" The reason I flashed that scanned photo was to show the unusual but effective approach to a motorcycle screen. Tall and narrow, and with the top at nose level and quite close to the rider's visor. The one downside was that I tended to hit my visor on the screen top when mounting and dis-mounting.

The perfect screen? One shaped similar to the one on that bike but power-driven to rise and fall without altering angle, and folding forward to make mounting and dismounting easier. It's unlikely that any motorised system could provide enough movement range to achieve that.

While this is a Guzzi forum, I will post something about my bike as you request but in the in the 24-7 Lounge forum here.

Graham

I too am looking for a decent windscreen for my Breva. I went to the Givi site but the a600 must be discontinued. They do the a601 and several others that look like the a600. Will these other model numbers fit the Breva properly? The dealer I purchased my Breva from has the factory screen in stock but it is around $300 and I have read several negative reviews on it. So the Givi has my interest. Thanks ahead for any help you can shoot my way. Max

Max

Foolishly I sold that A600 to a friend for his black Triumph TT100 and it works so well he won't sell it back to me!

Yes, the A600 has been replaced by the A601 whixh is similar but the cutout above the headlight isn't curved anymore to fit nicely around the rim so I didn't buy one, but I'm sure it would function OK.

My Breva now has a cut-down Givi A620 which I'm very happy with.

These ancient pics show how I mounted the Givi screens.

Graham

Givi600andA620uppermountonBreva.jpg

Givimountingbracketsketches.jpg

Back