• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Won't Run

sidrat

Tuned and Synch'ed
So after riding the triumph for most of this year, it was time i got the V7 Classic back on the road, it has been running well on the stand in the garage and the last couple of jobs to get a ticket were the headlight, and neutral switch both now fixed. i had taken some parts back off it recently, electrical bits to get to the neutral switch and the light.

Went to start it today and it runs for a second or two and then stops. Interestingly the speedometer moved at the same time. Here is a video that will show what i mean.

I have clearly either plugged something back together incorrectly or introduced an electrical fault somehow, all help welcome!

I can't see what you are doing with the clutch lever. Is the yellow light low fuel? It may be as simple as about out of fuel.

Last edited:
You could have told us what year it is. Sounds like no fuel. Steve is right. Start by replacing the fuel filter with a new, all metal one. Flush the tank out and use Deoxit on the connectors when you reassemble it.

Steve, i have had the pump out, but had to replace the internal fuel pipe, i guess it could have come off i will check

Hi John, the clutch lever has a tie wrap around it so i could start the bike. i though the same about fuel, but its got at least 5 litres in it.

Hi Vagrant, its a 2008 model. It does seem to point to the fuel pump. My only input away from that is that the speedometer moves when it it starts and i have not seen that before?

Both the Classic & Nevada would blow off fuel lines on new bikes. I replaced them w/submerged fuel line SAE30R10 & FI clamps

Steve, i have had the pump out, but had to replace the internal fuel pipe, i guess it could have come off i will check
If that is the case, it wouldn't start at all as you would have no fuel pressure. Same with a split fuel filter. Can you check fuel pressure at an injector? It should have 3 bar or about 45 psi. If pressure holds then it is an issue other than fuel. Can you check for codes as well?

Other questions, bike in neutral ( I do see the green light) and side stand up. Just to eliminate those issues.

If that is the case, it wouldn't start at all as you would have no fuel pressure. Same with a split fuel filter. Can you check fuel pressure at an injector? It should have 3 bar or about 45 psi. If pressure holds then it is an issue other than fuel. Can you check for codes as well?

Other questions, bike in neutral ( I do see the green light) and side stand up. Just to eliminate those issues.
I think i have software. I don't have a way of checking the psi from the injector, i can take it out and see what happens with fuel when it tries to start.
I still don't know why the speedo moves though?

I have no experience with current model Guzzi's. However, experiences with my daughter's 2004 750 IE Breva may be of help. John's comment regarding the fuel pressure required at start-up is crucial. But once the bike is running, the fuel pressure required diminishes. I would suggest you pull the plugs, they may indicate a too rich condition, meaning too much fuel pressure following start-up. Secondly, the tach and speedometer needles on both my daughter's Breva and my 2006 Norge move when the ignition is first turned on. On both bikes, the two needles swing from one side to the other in unison with the speedometer needle stopping and the tachometer needle registering the rpm when the bike engine starts.

At no point in your video is the yellow engine warning light going off.
It comes on then goes out, but as soon as the bike starts, you are right it comes back on. I need to read the codes i guss
I have no experience with current model Guzzi's. However, experiences with my daughter's 2004 750 IE Breva may be of help. John's comment regarding the fuel pressure required at start-up is crucial. But once the bike is running, the fuel pressure required diminishes. I would suggest you pull the plugs, they may indicate a too rich condition, meaning too much fuel pressure following start-up. Secondly, the tach and speedometer needles on both my daughter's Breva and my 2006 Norge move when the ignition is first turned on. On both bikes, the two needles swing from one side to the other in unison with the speedometer needle stopping and the tachometer needle registering the rpm when the bike engine starts.
i have gone into the fuel tank and it has the later metal filter, i replaced one of the internal fuel lines as it looked a little ropy, but still doing the same thing. Mine also does a sweep as you say but the speedo jumps up again when you try and start it.

Best to check the codes, see what is happening. All together I have changed 8 ecu's from V7C's cause of communication issues. More than 1 said "mute knot" on Axone factory software. Some would not talk to software at all.
This was only on the 1st series & 1 had 3 ecu's till bike ran correct. I would see if fuel is spraying out of injector.

so i think i gave away my connector cable for reading the codes when i sold the Griso, anyone got a link to buy another?

Then my other suggestion is to change the starter relay; substitute it with another one already on the bike. Check your owner's manual to determine which is the starter relay, then pull it and replace it with one of the other equivalent relays in the existing system. If you can get the bike to run, it may be possible to then trace the cause of the yellow light remaining on while the issue of the speedometer needle movement may resolve itself.

Back