• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'06 Breva 1100 Starting problems

Marvin W

Wrenching because I have to
GT Contributor
I am experiencing starting issues, click only, engine will not turn over. I installed an aftermarket relay kit from MPH Cycles which worked yesterday. Today, however the same issue, the starter will not engage. I have checked the fuses, and the line for receiving voltage which all show current. I have ordered a new relay. Advice would be appreciated.

I had similar with my Breva once. I removed the battery leads and polished them and the terminals, pulled the earth on the engine block near the starter and cleaned that, also found the the lead to the starter solenoid was a poor fit, snipped it off and attached a new one. Problem fixed. Annually, I clean up the main electrical contacts as part of my service.

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Please read the three rotating screen at the top of the page.

SEARCH first because there is literally nothing that hasn’t been written about.

You need to get your battery load tested. Most likely it will fail. Load testing is not reading voltage across the terminals.

If in the highly unlikely chance that your battery passes a load test, remove and wire brush or sandpaper your battery terminals on both sides, and your ground strap from the negative post on your battery to the connection on the engine block.

Last edited:
New battery, new relay, starter relay fix kit from MPH cycle in Houston. Clicks, but does not engage starter motor. Works sometimes. How can the starter motor be accessed and checked? Could it be a problem with the handle bar switch? Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

the starter motor is easily accessed on the left side of the motorcycle behind a cover, near the side stand. sounds like the next step is to put power directly to the starter :)

2 bolts hold in starter. Check the voltage of spade wire on solenoid when you hit button. AND that is where you hot wire it direct to batt and it WILL turn over, if not it's starter or solenoid.

You say "new battery". Is that since your earlier posts where the load test was in the yellow zone? If not, then you have a power supply issue from your battery. Also, did you wire brush or sandpaper both sides of the battery post wires? If not, you need to do this.

My Norge, Stelvio NTX, and 1200 Sport all will do this exact same "click - nothing" every time if I let their battery drop in voltage charge. If I keep them on the Battery Tender, and they are fully charged, they will start every time first time.

I tell you, Italian motorcycles do not like electrical insufficiency at all.

You say "new battery". Is that since your earlier posts where the load test was in the yellow zone? If not, then you have a power supply issue from your battery. Also, did you wire brush or sandpaper both sides of the battery post wires? If not, you need to do this.

My Norge, Stelvio NTX, and 1200 Sport all will do this exact same "click - nothing" every time if I let their battery drop in voltage charge. If I keep them on the Battery Tender, and they are fully charged, they will start every time first time.

I tell you, Italian motorcycles do not like electrical insufficiency at all.
Brand new battery, and sandpaper all the contact wires. I

2 bolts hold in starter. Check the voltage of spade wire on solenoid when you hit button. AND that is where you hot wire it direct to batt and it WILL turn over, if not it's starter or solenoid.
Will try that next. Is it a major job replacing the starter motor?

May I suggest that you click the DONATE tab, and upgrade your account and become a supporting Guzzisti of GuzziTech for a few dollars of whatever amount you feel is warranted, and then you will gain access to the DOWNLOADS section, where you will find the service manual and wiring diagrams and etc for your model?

You will benefit from this.

Disconnect the battery 1st, you dont want the positive inadvertantly shorting to the frame. Remove the starter motor, secure it in a vice, connect it to a battery, negative to the motor case, positive to the top bolt then touch a wire from the positive to the spade terminal, hopefully the motor will spin, if it just clicks then the solenoid could be sticking or the contacts dirty. you can bypass the solenoid by touching the positive from the battery to the lower bolt, do it firmly and quickly as any arcing could damage the thread on the starter motor. If the motor turns its the solenoid.

Need to remove the left plate?
No, plenty of room. Also use a 13mm socket to remove the battery cable from the starter. Beginning to sound like a failed starter motor. Takes me about 5 minutes or less to remove a starter from a big block.

Back