• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2024 V85TT Updates - 3 variants offered

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Plenty of online articles, but thought to summarize here…
Engine: Gains 4 hp, now a claimed 80 at 7,750 rpm, and increase of peak torque to 61.2 lb.-ft. at 5,100 rpm—90 percent from 3,000 rpm.

Strada has aluminum alloy wheels and many off road parts delete. Note lower inner front fender.
DS is largely unchanged outside of an improved skid plate.
Travel adds a new touring windscreen, new side deflectors, as well as Urban series side cases. Other standard equipment on the TT Travel includes heated grips and a heated seat. One color option: Bronzo Deserto.

According to Moto Guzzi, the 2024 V85 Strada’s curb weight is 226 kilograms, or 498 pounds. The 2024 V85 TT’s curb weight is 230 kg/507 lbs, and the 2024 V85 TT Travel’s curb weight is 243kg/536 pounds.

V85 Strada

IMG 0340

DS (Dual-Sport) V85 TT

IMG 0342

V85 TT Travel

IMG 0341

@GTM® it says they've added knock sensors and variable valve timing. Do you think this will make it more forgiving w/ US fuel?

@GTM® it says they've added knock sensors and variable valve timing. Do you think this will make it more forgiving w/ US fuel?
Perhaps. Need to see it to believe it. ;)
Do you know how variable cam timing and knock sensors work? If not, Google it.

Perhaps. Need to see it to believe it. ;)
Do you know how variable cam timing and knock sensors work? If not, Google it.
How have they managed to incorporate variable valve timing on the latest V85? I would have thought this would need some major work to the engine top end.

Maybe the ECU just uses signal from the knock sensors to retard the ignition timing a little?

Last edited:
Knock sensor is one thing, but I can’t see how variable valve timing can work on an OHV pushrod motor, other than by rotating the camshaft itself like, say, Suzuki system, or by sliding it to get two sets of lobes like BMW shift cam. Curious I am. I could be wrong but if so I shall be very interested to see how it works - link didn’t work for me.

Knock sensor is one thing, but I can’t see how variable valve timing can work on an OHV pushrod motor, other than by rotating the camshaft itself like, say, Suzuki system, or by sliding it to get two sets of lobes like BMW shift cam. Curious I am. I could be wrong but if so I shall be very interested to see how it works - link didn’t work for me.
I think some articles are saying valve timing, but meaning ignition timing. This one says “ignition timing”:
ridermagazine.com/2023/11/10/2024-moto-guzzi-v85-range-review-first-look/

That makes more sense. Thanks. VVT is more likely on the V100 I’d have thought.

I think some articles are saying valve timing, but meaning ignition timing. This one says “ignition timing”:
Well, there it is. It seems since most any hack (er, "staff") is now able to "print" info, even at the (former) big name publications, this is the garbage we have to live with. I was waiting for a Press Release from Guzzi to post it here.

ridermagazine.com/2023/11/10/2024-moto-guzzi-v85-range-review-first-look/
ahhh... I too was wondering how this could be accomplished.

my brow has been furrowed since first reading it 😅

ahhh... I too was wondering how this could be accomplished.

my brow has been furrowed since first reading it 😅
I know in the car world there are versions of the Hemi and Chevy V8 with cam in block variable valve timing but I could not imagine Guzzi making such an investment unless it's absolutely required to pass the new Euro emissions?

I know in the car world there are versions of the Hemi and Chevy V8 with cam in block variable valve timing but I could not imagine Guzzi making such an investment unless it's absolutely required to pass the new Euro emissions?
yea, I've actually done some reading in the meantime and seen that! pretty neat, I had no idea.

advrider.com/harley-davidson-drops-variable-valve-timing-into-cvo-street-glide-cvo-road-glide/

wow I guess Harley's big pushrod motor has vvt!

see, this is what happens when you bought the perfect motorcycle 15 years ago, you stop paying attention 😅

Yup they sure do! I work at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership as an apprentice/lube tech and have had the opportunity to see them first hand. pretty amazing stuff that goes into them. They use VVT on the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis. Just from observation, the only difference ive seen between a non VVT and VVT hemi is the solenoid outside the timing cover

From: ridermagazine.com/2023/11/10/2024-moto-guzzi-v85-range-review-first-look/

“Moto Guzzi says the new engine offers an increase in power from 76 hp in the previous generation to 80 hp at 7,750 rpm and improved torque, noticeable as early as 3,000 rpm and extending across the entire torque curve, with a peak of 61 lb-ft at 5,100 rpm. (compared with a peak of 60.4 lb-ft at 5,000 rpm)”

I cannot help but cringe at this quote…

Think about it. 🧐

INFINITELY more complexity, expense, and now even further being absolutely tied to a dealer network that is mediocre at the very best, to gain 4 pathetic hp (claimed) at the crank and 0.6 lb-ft of torque.

What stupid idiot at Piaggio approved this engine change? It cannot be for E5 reasons. The existing platform already clearly meets E5 standards.

Guess they want to sell more tools to dealers, cut aftermarket shops out of the loop, and render owner/operator maintenance and service, moot by forcing owners to bring their motorcycles to the dealers. Ugh.

🤦‍♂️

It’s absolutely ridiculous and obscene in my estimation.

I have to laugh at myself because I’m becoming just like BJ (Big John) was up in Hesperia, CA when we used to talk. An old guy dealer, who sold and rode older model Moto Guzzi’s. BJ hated the FI on Moto Guzzi’s for the same reasons - senseless and unnecessary complications of an already proven platform.

I used to laugh and poke fun at him. He would laugh at me and say “Just you wait. You’ll see!”

He was dead right on this! 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I would think MG is getting ahead of the curve for even tighter emissions standards on the immediate horizon. As for parts availability I have two bikes in the event I need a part from Italy in August or any other time for that matter. I got a new V100 on Oct 4th. The side cases needed to be ordered which I hope was done but having interacted with the parts/service manager in the past I wonder if it was done in a timely manner. I am still waiting for them or for an answer from him or Piaggio Customer Care as to their status. Makes me mad as there are 3 sets in stock at AF1 Racing. I would have gone with an alternative system but the mounts would interfere with mounting the luggage rack I have coming from what I have been able to determine. I would have ridden the bike a lot more for errands and shopping if I had the side cases. Otherwise the bike is phenomenal.
kk

Just read about the new V85TT in Piaggio Wide Magazine and it mentions VVT as well so maybe it is happening?

wide.piaggiogroup.com/en/articles/products/new-moto-guzzi-v85-range/index.html

Back