• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bad Luck with Having 5 Digit Security Code Reset by Carmo

Jabbo

Just got it firing!
When I purchased my 2014 California, it came with one key and an unknown 5-digit security code. My dealer was unable to program a new key or recover the 5-digit code. After some research, it appeared that shipping my console off to Carmo was my best (maybe only) option. A few days after receiving my console, Carmo let me know that they were having problems with the security code. Carmo kept the console for a few weeks but was never able to solve the problem. They were able to program two new keys for me. Now I have two spare keys and will hopefully be able to get a new key programmed at my dealer if I lose one.

This is not a bash Carmo post. They kept me informed and were more than fair on the price they charged for the work they did. I am posting this to let others know that shipping your console to Carmo in The Netherlands is not a guarantee that you will ever get the security code working. I love my Guzzi, but I scratch my head over how this security code thing ever made it off the drawing board.

This is the first time I have heard of them failing.
I'm totally with you on the whole security code thing. Guzzi is not alone in using this system but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. I think it sucks royally.

In 2019 I bought kind of a used Audace. Another screwed up dealer issue. I got only one key and no manual. I had a spare key made which didn't work. Then I downloaded a manual and learned a whole lot. I lucked out in that the security code was the last digits of the VIN. As far as a second key I started doing some research into Camo. At the time they also had an address listed online in Chico Calif which isn't too far from me. I don't remember now but at the time it turned out to be a shoe store or something like that. I didn't want put the bike out of commission so I guarded my key like the family jewels. When I traded it in at a Guzzi dealer, different from the one where I bought it but part of the same group. They weren't real interested in my info on everything but I wrote it all in the manual. I hope it got to the new owner. I think the code is a good thing in some ways but not so much in others.
kk

Again, language is everything and words have meaning and using the correct words is imperative in this type of communication.

What you have written here is wrong.

They were able to program two new keys for me. Now I have two spare keys and will hopefully be able to get a new key programmed at my dealer if I lose one.

If you indeed have two spare keys, each with a unique transponder code, then you can reset your user code yourself, right through the dashboard itself.

However if all they did was clone your existing key, then you merely have 3 keys that the dashboard sees as the exact same key, because they are electronically identical to each other.

Dealers CANNOT program keys to replace lost ones. It does not work that way at all. I wrote the definitive explanation in the forum. If you want to know exactly how it works, please read it. Post #54 is the crux and the link below takes you directly there.

This being said:

Carmo is not perfect but I believe that they are the best in the world at trying to do what they do.

With regard to the integrated theft deterent system, it’s an excellent system and it works to deter theft of your motorcycle.

Don’t blame the excellent equipment for the stupidity of owners who don’t read their owners manuals and learn precisely how the system actually works, or people who buy equipment used, without knowing exactly what is what before buying something.

It is amazing to me how people do love to blame everything and everyone for their own ignorance or outright stupidity.

Last edited:
Again, language is everything and words have meaning and using the correct words is imperative in this type of communication.

What you have written here is wrong.

If you indeed have two spare keys, each with a unique transponder code, then you can reset your user code yourself, right through the dashboard itself.

However if all they did was clone your existing key, then you merely have 3 keys that the dashboard sees as the exact same key, because they are electronically identical to each other.

Dealers CANNOT program keys to replace lost ones. It does not work that way at all. I wrote the definitive explanation in the forum. If you want to know exactly how it works, please read it. Post #54 is the crux and the link below takes you directly there.

This being said:

Carmo is not perfect but I believe that they are the best in the world at trying to do what they do.

With regard to the integrated theft deterent system, it’s an excellent system and it works to deter theft of your motorcycle.

Don’t blame the excellent equipment for the stupidity of owners who don’t read their owners manuals and learn precisely how the system actually works, or people who buy equipment used, without knowing exactly what is what before buying something.

It is amazing to me how people do love to blame everything and everyone for their own ignorance or outright stupidity.
Carmo made the extra keys for me. Hopefully they are not clones.

Carmo made the extra keys for me. Hopefully they are not clones.

God this is like pulling teeth…. I’m going to try one last time here to counsel you.

THEN, if they made new keys with different transponder codes, you should be able to go into your dash menu, and reset your User Code with 2 different keys.

Have you tried this? I would. I would want to establish if all of my keys are clones, or are different transponder coded keys.

The easiest way is to try and reset your User Code through the dashboard interface.

If it fails, then you have cloned keys which do nothing for you to protect you or allow you to reset the User Code.

Last edited:
Back