• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1400 Suspension Thread

Funny, I consider the stepped preload adjusters archaic. For nearly two decades I raced on shocks at a Pro level with threaded adjusters. Really, it's set and forget unless you are varying your load often (which perhaps is the case?). As a science, threaded preload collars are cheapest and easiest. From there, Ohlins offers a hydraulic preload adjuster, but it ain't cheap to add to their shocks. I am about ready to add a set of non-damping-adjustable Ohlins to the online Store for the 1400 Custom, Audace or any other bike without factory bags. They come only with threaded preload adjusters, but the hydraulic adjusters can be added as an option (see pic below).
Air systems (such as Fornales - are they available for the 1400?) can work, but they offer a much different ride compared to oil/nitrogen... depends on what you're looking for.

View attachment 11698
Whatever happened to this project; did you find a suitable Ohlins shock to work on the 1400?

Whatever happened to this project; did you find a suitable Ohlins shock to work on the 1400?
Always click on the STORE tab above. Link below this time for you. These are a Euro spec'ed shock, and as such are quite firm. They're the only twin shock Ohlins on the market unless full custom, which we can do. Contact us via the online STORE. I cannot reply to direct questions here for products.

This thread will track modifications and adjustments to the suspension for your Custom and Tour. Please feel free to post/share your findings and settings that work for you.

1400 Custom
Thanks for this amazing suspension thread! Regarding the GTM 2WS/Shock Factory units I've been eyeing for my 2014 Cal 1400 touring bike, it has been stated on the STORE link and in the suspension thread MULTIPLE times that once I order the shocks then I will be contacted for my information. I'm guessing that I need to know data such as my weight with riding gear, the weight of my day to day gear stashed in my hard cases, and the weight of my camping gear for those times I camp. I ride solo but, if my better half ever decides she wants to join me, then I guess I would be factoring in her weight in riding gear (and no camping gear 😆). And based on this info, my order may be modified by Todd to go up ord down 20mm from stock length? What else do I need to know?

Always click on the STORE tab above. Link below this time for you. These are a Euro spec'ed shock, and as such are quite firm. They're the only twin shock Ohlins on the market unless full custom, which we can do. Contact us via the online STORE. I cannot reply to direct questions here for products.

Actually, I meant did you ever find an Ohlins version without the eternal reservoir that would fit a touring?

Hello, I hope everyone is doing great. I recently acquired a 2014 California Custom 1400. It’s a great bike, but the rear suspension is super hard. If there is even a moderate bump in the road it goes right up the bike to me! It’s crazy, it’s almost like I’m riding a hard tail and I’m ready to break out the kidney belt! It looks like this bike got the spa treatment at one point in its life, I’m guessing at GT seeing as it’s a Southern California bike. It has the V-Performance mufflers, the Matris front fork cartridges, and what I am told are Matris California 1400 Standard Twin Shocks In the rear. The front suspension feels good, but the rear is really riding hard. I am not really sure how to adjust them, and I’m not finding any literature or documentation online. The spring preload is backed off all the way, and there is what seems to me to be a normal bit of sag when I sit on the bike. There is a thumb wheel adjuster at the bottom of the shock below the spring. I have played with turning it in and out but I am not really noticing it doing much. There is a small wheel thing with a blue insert that looks like an adjuster at the top of the shock, but i think I will need a wrench to turn it and I don’t know what it’s for so I haven’t messed with it. There is no piggyback or remote canister on these shocks.
If anyone is familiar with these shocks and can share some advice or guidance on adjusting them and how to get a softer more shock absorbing ride from them I would really appreciate it. I know that these shocks are an upgrade from the stock shocks, but these are pretty rough to ride on, especially for a heavy bike like the California.
Thank you so much!
Cliff

Here a few a pics of the shocks:
83AED9C7 A02C 46E9 9742 E5C2973290E7 AB063F39 9185 4BE9 BE6D D945DB2E66A2

I have the Matris units on my Eldo and they work well, they are model number M40D if you are looking for info. The one with the blue insert is the nitrogen gas recharging port, DO NOT touch that :). The adjustment at the bottom is for rebound adjustment, from hard to soft, mine actually have a screw adjustment for this so I'm not sure which direction you turn yours for hard or soft, you have tried it both ways so it's not that. Pre-load is backed right off so it's not that. When you order the shocks they set them up with springs to your specifications, weight etc. so my guess would be the previous owner was somewhat heavier than you and the spring is way to stiff for your weight. Todd sells Matris in the store on this site, he maybe able to help with springs if that is the problem.

I have the M40D's also. Todd set them up for me when purchased from him. They were a bit firm at first but have bedded in nicely.
The only info I've seen online so far is from Matris's own website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430-183912.png
    Screenshot_20230430-183912.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys, thank you. I think John L may have nailed it. I have tried changing the rebound adjuster wheel in and out, and it really doesn’t change the hardness of these shocks. So it makes sense that what I am feeling is springs that are for a heavier rider. Thank you for identifying the model number of the shocks. That will help me with sorting this out. I bought the bike from a shop, so I never meet the previous owner. He may be a big dude or may have had the bike setup for two up riding.
Thanks too for the heads up on not touching the recharge port!
Has anyone gone through changing springs on these shocks? I will contact Matris and see what they say.
Thanks also for moving this post to the appropriate thread.
Thanks again for your help!

How do the new Ohlins compare to the Matris Piggybacks? Are they worth the Xtra $700? Im ready to do a full suspension upgrade on my Audace front and back.

How do the new Ohlins compare to the Matris Piggybacks? Are they worth the Xtra $700? Im ready to do a full suspension upgrade on my Audace front and back.
They don't. Non-adjustable. Matris is superior. Use the F15K Fork Cartridge Kit for a great combo.

I found these on ebay, Andreani Misano evo Kaifa 45 Cartridge Moto Guzzi Audace 1400 2017 > 2020, but my Audace is a 2016. Is there any reason to believe these won't fit my 16' Audace? Curious how these at $519 would compare to the Matris at $699. Are there any special tools required to install these cartridges? Regarding the stock rear suspension....it seems to me, and i'm no expert, but since the OEM rear shocks are fully adjustable, the primary shortcoming is that the springs are too soft for a guy my weight of 200 lbs. As you move the adjustment collar down to stiffen the preload, aren't you also reducing the travel? Would it be possible to replace the springs with a heavier spring?

Last edited:
IMHO

Spend the additional $150 and get the Matris suspension from GTM. It’s a better system, completely bespoke and custom made for your exact configuration and weight, is fully rebuildable and has support from GTM for any issue.

Just my 2 cents. 👌👍🙏

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. Ken, I’ve posted on this many times before. We are an Andreani dealer. I don’t show them on the Store because they have a complex and irreversible installation procedure, and have proven to be overly harsh, even at full soft settings. Off the shelf (discounted) products can be had if you want, but we can’t take returns or give support when they don’t function well.
I’ve also written many times that springs and valving go hand in hand. You can read the reviews and words in this section on the benefits of what is offered here. Impossible to retype it over and over again.

In advance of buying my first Guzzi (a 2018 California 1400 Touring), I was trying to find out if the OEM rear suspension had a remote adjustment for preload. I could see mentions of the remote being removed to allow the hard side cases to be fitted compared to other California variants but didn't find any definitive answer. In case anyone else is interested, I can confirm the 2018 (and presumably later model years) DO have a remote adjustment - great for me as I usually ride solo but occasionally have a passenger. The manual advises wind the preload off (to zero) for a rider or rider and passenger, then increase as needed if luggage is also being carried.

IMG 5339 IMG 5338

This set up is shared with the MGX. Suspension is still very substandard, and the preload adjuster only puts preload on one of the two shocks. Hurts my head trying to process why they did this. I recommend checking and verifying your sag numbers front and rear while seated ready to ride.

Question for anyone who has ordered the Matris California 1400 fork kit from GTM:
IMG 4190
IMG 4191
The "directions" refer to part "A" shown on the accompanying photo, but the parts I received look more like this:
IMG 4199

which appear to be bushings or spacers between springs/tubes. However, the small part will not insert into the spring coil. They look nothing like the part shown on the directions. Anyone have any input here? I've emailed GTM as well but not sure whether I'll get a response.

Last edited:
I can respond here or email, not both. Which one?

Put i here so the next person with the issue has somewhere to look for the info.

Back