• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Noise?

trialsn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So a new noise started yesterday. When I pull the clutch, I hear this mid to low pitch whistling noise. The shop says it's fine...however I'm still a little curious.

Anyone else experience this? Is this actually normal?

When you release the clutch does it go away? If so it could be the throw out bearing at the back of the gearbox..

What did the shop say it was. Would love to hear their interpretation other than "It is fine". Like John said, sound like the throwout bearing starting to go. Clatter, normal....growling/chattering, some what normal, whistling or screaming, are not normal clutch sounds when the clutch is disengaged.

Is it every time you disengage the clutch and how loud is it. If you are concerned about it, try another shop to see what their opinion is. You have two shops to choose from. If your bike is still under warranty, get it in writing that they don't think it is a concern and then document your concerns with Piaggio. That way when it eventually gets worse you will be able to get it fixed at their cost.

Well, the bike decided to crap out on me due to the clutch. After a two hour wait for the tow truck to show up, the bike is at the shop. Fairly confident the cable is still good. I suspect problem is at the back where the clutch arm lever thing is located. Oh happy days!

Process of chewing out Moto Guzzi Canada has officially begun! I shouldn't be experiencing this amount of issues with a virtually brand new bike. Any tips? Will I get a hard time due to changing the bars to clubman's, temporary upgraded indicators and tail tidy?

Well, the bike decided to crap out on me due to the clutch. After a two hour wait for the tow truck to show up, the bike is at the shop. Fairly confident the cable is still good. I suspect problem is at the back where the clutch arm lever thing is located. Oh happy days!

Process of chewing out Moto Guzzi Canada has officially begun! I shouldn't be experiencing this amount of issues with a virtually brand new bike. Any tips? Will I get a hard time due to changing the bars to clubman's, temporary upgraded indicators and tail tidy?
What exactly did it do when it crapped out on you?

I'll try to explain it the best way I can. At the time of "crapping out", the clutch lever had no response...almost like the cable broke or if it was not attached at the other end. When looking around, I was squeezing the lever to see if the shift arm (not sure the technical term) moved at all...which it did, ever so slightly. I unscrewed the barrel adjuster at the lever to create some tension to check to see if the cable was fine. It was, but still didn't fix the problem. It's almost like the arm was jammed into position and did not release when releasing the clutch lever. I wonder if this had to do with that minor whistling sound that I heard before (see above posts).

Regardless, just another issue with the bike...hence why I'm a little annoyed with the brand. For the record I don't think that all V7's are poor quality, I just feel like I had the unfortunate luck of getting a one off lemon.

List so far with a bike at 5,800 km's:
Throttle issues after first service
Clutch cable defect
Leak at shaft drive
Current clutch issue

So it is jammed in the dis-engaged position (ie. the engine just revs in gear).

Perhaps it is a cable issue. I thought there was an issue with the V7 were the clutch cable was routed too close to the engine and melted the covering and jamming the cable. Hopefully it is that simple and it is just jammed. Is the cable at the clutch arm on the clutch (you called it the shift arm) tight and the clutch lever at the bar loose?

If it is related to the whistling, could be that the throwout bearing has now seized and jammed the clutch shaft, or the clutch itself has imploded but you would have heard that. Hopefully they can find the problem quickly.

Issue was resolved. A part at the rear end of the clutch assembly was faulty.

Having the shop compile a complete history of warranty claims and number of times the bike has been into the shop. Customer service asked what I'm looking for, literally told them a replacement bike as I do not have faith in my current bike.

Again, I must stress that my opinion is for my motorcycle alone and does not reflect my view of Moto Guzzi as a whole.

Just found out that the throw bearing split into three pieces. Good to know what was causing that noise!

Random question for the folks of infinite guzzi-dom. Does anyone know the best way to contact customer care, or how to escalate a claim? I've gone through the standard approach of using the info found on their website and haven't received the promised returned phone call or email.

Cheers,

C

Random question for the folks of infinite guzzi-dom. Does anyone know the best way to contact customer care, or how to escalate a claim? I've gone through the standard approach of using the info found on their website and haven't received the promised returned phone call or email.

Cheers,

C
Can your dealer not give you the number and email address of their contact?

From what I understand, the short answer is no, however they have passed my information along so that I can be contacted...

So far I have emailed and called Customer Care myself. Sent out my letter of complaint. Sent the same letter to the shop to forward on my behalf. I'm at the point where I can't trust anyone other than myself to see this through.

#1 rule of business "return all calls within 1-business day.
I used to tell my customers if they hadn't heard from me in 24 hours either I never got the message of I'm dead.
do you suppose they ever wonder why they can't keep dealers?

It's unbelievably frustrating. No one ever picks up at Customer Care. Do they have Monday's off that I'm not aware of?

I'm running out of ideas and it's truly a shame. If they just kept their word and provided some feed back, I would at least know they were taking my claim seriously.

Last edited:
Update:
Managed to get ahold of someone higher than Customer Care, possible district manager at Piaggio? Hoping with his assistance there will be some form of resolution!

I'm guessing you're going to get your bike fixed - that's all MG will probably do. I bought a 2016 V7ii from the same shop, and I know he will go to bat for you concerning MG, and try to get you on the road asap.

George is an outstanding guy, no question about it.

I believe MG needs to step up regarding the ongoing issues as its not fair to the consumer (me) or the mechanic (George) in the end.

I'm not out to tarnish the brand. I love my bike, I just want to trust it again...that is all :).

Back