• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Dead 1200 Sport

Steve Harvey

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hi Folks,

My 2008 1200 Sport died while on a tour last month, been languishing in a shop here in the Bay Area for weeks. When the failure occurred, the motor "bogged" down, like it was getting no fuel. Mechanic is focused on the O2 sensor. I don't see any reports of any Power Commander/Auto Tuner/O2 sensor failures here. Question: if I walk back the fueling system for troubleshooting, is the GTM ECU setup to ignore the stock O2 sensor?

On the Power Commander web sight I saw a post of someone having a problem with the wideband O2 sensor after wrapping his exhaust. Any chance exhaust wrap could cause some over temp issue with the sensor?

Thanks!

Steve Harvey
Livermore, CA

Hi Folks,

My 2008 1200 Sport died while on a tour last month, been languishing in a shop here in the Bay Area for weeks. When the failure occurred, the motor "bogged" down, like it was getting no fuel. Mechanic is focused on the O2 sensor. I don't see any reports of any Power Commander/Auto Tuner/O2 sensor failures here. Question: if I walk back the fueling system for troubleshooting, is the GTM ECU setup to ignore the stock O2 sensor?

On the Power Commander web sight I saw a post of someone having a problem with the wideband O2 sensor after wrapping his exhaust. Any chance exhaust wrap could cause some over temp issue with the sensor?

Thanks!

Steve Harvey
Livermore, CA
I'm sure GTM will be along shortly to answer this authoritatively, but I'm a bit perplexed by this "focused on the O2 sensor". I've just gone through / learned about this, and it takes five minutes to tell whether the O2 sensor is working properly, pretty definitively: just plug in with the pcv software and observe the AFR reading.

so is it working or no?

Steve, I think we have chatted via email, yes? I don't do bike diagnostics via email, but help with this system I can, however with limited assist without seeing the bike, as @tobinh will attest. I know it's easy to think it's the PC/AT, but when bikes are as old as yours I can almost BET it's something else.
For a simple test: Simply plug the stock injectors back into the stock wiring harness connectors, and that will completely eliminate the PC/AT from the system, nothing else needed.

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Steve Harvey
Livermore, CA
Have you eliminated fuel filter or disconnected fuel line in the tank?

Thank you very much gentlemen! Todd, we did indeed exchange some emails years ago as you walked me through the ECU/PC/DT/airbox upgrade. Very grateful for the 1-1 help tweeking the maps. The bike has been running fabulously for five years or so. The bike is in a mechanic's shop, I'm not currently working on it myself. But now I feel I have a solid base for a conversation with him. Thank you everyone!

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Steve Harvey
Livermore, CA
Make sure the earth wire from the ECU is properly grounded.

Thank you very much gentlemen! Todd, we did indeed exchange some emails years ago as you walked me through the ECU/PC/DT/airbox upgrade. Very grateful for the 1-1 help tweeking the maps. The bike has been running fabulously for five years or so. The bike is in a mechanic's shop, I'm not currently working on it myself. But now I feel I have a solid base for a conversation with him. Thank you everyone!
What was the end result of this problem.

Hi All,

Thanks for the reminder. No conclusion so far. All this advice did lead to a conversation with the mechanic that was productive. But still no idea when the fault will be isolated and repaired. Considering picking the bike up and trailering it down to GTM.

I WILL post the fault, and the repair...if it is ever resolved.

Cheers, all.

Back