• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First Guzzi

nicholsonj2252

Just got it firing!
I've had many bikes over the years but had never owned a Moto Guzzi . I did test ride a V85 in 2022 and I absolutely hated it

I did a deal with the owner of this one for my Kawasaki Versys

I collected it from Totnes in Devon and rode the 400 mile trip back to County Durham on a very cold March Sunday

The bike got me home but ran mediocre at best . The fuel gauge didn't work , the brakes were poor and the engine very lumpy and noisy

Biggest issue was it wouldn't change gear once hot when stationary

On getting it home I started the investigation into it's problems

On taking the cover off the clutch master cylinder the fluid was black so immediately pointed to a failed slave cylinder

Off came the rear wheel , final drive , swinging arm , bottom linkage and rear shock to get access

One removed it was evident that the slave cylinder was the cause and a new on was ordered

I removed the exhaust system to clean it and also replace the aftermarket GPR end can with the OEM can

The collector box/cat was completely split and although I successfully welded the joint the split had went right down the side of the box and the metal was too thin to weld successfully

A new old stock cat was ordered

A number of the bottom linkage bearings were seized so this had to be fully refurbished

The fork stanchions were badly corroded so were bead blasted , powder coated and rebuilt with new seals and oil

All of the brake calipers and lines were removed , pistons out of the calipers and rebuilt with new seals

New front brake discs fitted as the originals were like pringles and well below their service limit

Bike then had a full service : oil , oil filter , air filter , plugs , gearbox oil , final drive oil

Splines were lubed with Staburegs and valve clearances adjusted (valves were way out)

Throttle bodies balanced (they were way out of balance)

Wiring was a bit of a mess under the seat and it had the wrong battery fitted so wiring tidied up and a new battery fitted

I drained the petrol tank , fitted a new fuel filter and a new old stock sender unit so it now has a fully working fuel gauge

Got the bike all put back together with everything cleaned and polished

Just had it out today and did 220 miles touring round the Lake District and it was like riding a different bike

Really impressed with it , engine is awesome , it handles great and brakes really well

Just had it out today and did 220 miles touring round the Lake District and it was like riding a different bike

Really impressed with it , engine is awesome , it handles great and brakes really well

I wish everyone would read what you wrote!

I say this all the time…. European motorcycles will literally last forever IF THEY ARE PROPERLY MAINTAINED PRECISELY ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE!

When this rule is violated, you end up with all sorts of crap happening and piss poor performance and rideability.

Time and again, I have seen, ridden, and repaired the horrible results of “maintenance by crisis” or the foolish substitution of supposedly better “aftermarket” parts, for far superior OEM ones which were designed for the motorcycle, or God forbid, the motorcycle which has been “done cheap” with every single thing, i.e. brake linings, fluids, battery, tires, oils, electrics, wiring, etc.

Generally I agree with you but I don't like the end can of the V100 exhaust and will probably change it. Not overly impressed by the horn either but I'll probably not bother changing it and just put up with its rather effete toot.

Generally I agree with you but I don't like the end can of the V100 exhaust and will probably change it.

So you will pay $$$ so that the motorcycle will run significantly worse than stock because the fuel injection map will not be optimized to operating conditions. 🤦‍♂️

Not overly impressed by the horn either but I'll probably not bother changing it and just put up with its rather effete toot.

Upgrading a horn is the single best upgrade one can do, provided you don’t hack the wiring up and do a professional level installation.

Not necessarily as if it warrants I'll get it mapped accordingly. The end can I'm thinking of is "approved" by UK Guzzi dealers so as I'm not changing the cat or the lambda sensors etc I don't really see how it will change the fueling. If I remember correctly you are changing the whole darn system from end to end? If I find it does degrade the performance then I'll put back the stock.

For the millionth time…

ACTION : REACTION

CAUSE : EFFECT

You cannot alter the exhaust system in any way without it NEGATIVELY affecting operation. Period.

I don't really see how it will change the fueling.

That is correct. You know nothing about motorcycle fuel injection theory and operation and this is OK.

Guess what! You probably don’t understand brain tumor surgery either. 😄

Know the limits of your knowledge and recognize when you really don’t have the skills and knowledge to make an informed evaluation of the situation.

If I remember correctly you are changing the whole darn system from end to end?

This is correct.

I am “Changing the whole darn system from end to end” INCLUDING a professionally developed (Dynometer / Gas Analyzer) modified fuel injection map, which has been optimized for running conditions being matched to physical conditions.

This is a million miles from what you are contemplating.

Pardon me for thinking. I'll crawl back into my hole.

Please…

Do you always personalize things you read, which are not specifically directed as a pejorative at you, in order to be the victim?

You stated you didn’t see…

I told you point blank the fact:

ACTION : REACTION

CAUSE : EFFECT

You cannot alter the exhaust system in any way without it NEGATIVELY affecting operation. Period.

I am truly sorry this factual information distressed you so.

I guess the best way to state this is the answer I would give my customers when they came into my shop with the latest and greatest exhaust stuff.

They would say “Hey, I bought this and if you just bolt it on, I get 10 more horsepower!”

I would tell them that perhaps this may be true, but what is the whole picture here and what are the real costs?

Often times, low-end and midrange performance suffered drastically to gain those few ponies at the very top. Always, optimized fueling went out the window.

Back