• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Head protectors vs crash bars - how effective?

Hello I am new to the forum unfortunately I was doing a u turn in a car park with a slight slope and the combination of slope not enough speed too much lean and steering on near full lock resulted in a fall. I have the pretty cyclinder head protectors and the damage is new rocker cover required also clutch lever, I had the guzzi top box on and it kept the bike off the ground although took scrapes to the body and some marks on the painted lid needing touch up. Obviously the cyclinder guard is marked, I am replacing the rocker cover and brake and clutch lever with aftermarket versions that fold up expensive but not much more than the brembo ones fitted. I cannot believe that I made such a rookie mistake and honestly I am still analysing how the hell I managed it. Only thing I can think of is that I have other bikes with different handling characteristics and my aging brain hadn't adjusted to the changeover in bikes. Anyway, lesson learned, I am short of stature getting older and the V100s is a hefty bit of kit to manage, save to say I am now fitting the engine bars keeping the cyclinder guards and giving myself a good talking to about the dynamics of the v100. I love the performance of the bike and for a few minutes after the drop considered changing it for a V7 but came to my senses and realised that there is simply nothing like it for looks character or all round satisfaction of ride quality, ride safely watch those slow manoeuvres.

Wellcome nic berg.

A few months ago a lady decided to make a left turn over me. The bike got off the ground and landed on its right (the hit was from the left) on the crash bar and fork/wheel. The cylinder head cover was without a scratch but the right header was cracked almost 360 degrees at the junction with the cyliner, interestingly the pipe's heat shield was intact. I wonder if the way the crash bars mount was the culprit.

I will add the head protectors when I find some in the aftermarket (on principle, I don't want to pay $370 US dollars for two little aluminum bars).

Have a great time with your bike and stay out of town.

PS. I dropped a Multi once in a parking lot and my wife broke her wrist (that drop was really a problem :) )

I suppose any damage depends on the mechanism of force as well as contact area which is relative to the energy transfer. Which is a technical way of saying the harder you get hit (or fall) the worse the damage will be. Guzzis at least have the advantage of keeping you from landing on the ground with the bike on top of you because of the cyclinder head design so insurance can pay for major damage and you can ride again (hopefully) .

Hello I am new to the forum unfortunately I was doing a u turn in a car park with a slight slope and the combination of slope not enough speed too much lean and steering on near full lock resulted in a fall. I have the pretty cyclinder head protectors and the damage is new rocker cover required also clutch lever, I had the guzzi top box on and it kept the bike off the ground although took scrapes to the body and some marks on the painted lid needing touch up. Obviously the cyclinder guard is marked, I am replacing the rocker cover and brake and clutch lever with aftermarket versions that fold up expensive but not much more than the brembo ones fitted. I cannot believe that I made such a rookie mistake and honestly I am still analysing how the hell I managed it. Only thing I can think of is that I have other bikes with different handling characteristics and my aging brain hadn't adjusted to the changeover in bikes. Anyway, lesson learned, I am short of stature getting older and the V100s is a hefty bit of kit to manage, save to say I am now fitting the engine bars keeping the cyclinder guards and giving myself a good talking to about the dynamics of the v100. I love the performance of the bike and for a few minutes after the drop considered changing it for a V7 but came to my senses and realised that there is simply nothing like it for looks character or all round satisfaction of ride quality, ride safely watch those slow manoeuvres.

Glad you're ok(apart from the wounded pride!). There used to be a thread on a UK forum called '10 ways to drop your bike', focussing on the daft things we all do. Last time I looked it had reached well over 400 posts, including two of mine!

Back