Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Modern "No Start" issue solution

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by GTM®, Jul 1, 2010.

1. motoman

motoman Just got it firing!

2010 Griso 1200 8V here... Starter issues like everyone else, tried everything, include MPH wiring. Finally replaced Starter/Solenoid with a Bosch Unit: 001 106 407 from Euro Moto Electrics. Problem solved. Starter motor was actually OK, Solenoid apparently F'ed.

This will be my Last Guzzi. I've never had this type problem in 40 years of riding motorcycles, and I don't have time to deal with it now. Especially since it's so hard to get parts from Piaggio. Guzzi should just give us a Kick Starter!

2. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

So...

Because of an incorrect self-diagnosis of a 10 year old starter solenoid (a wear and tear electrical item) that needed to be replaced, you are having an emotional outburst moment of how you’ll never own another Moto Guzzi...

Seriously?

Moto-Uno, john zibell and Louisv97 like this.
  3. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

shhh I'd be happy to take it off his hands haha

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  4. bcls482

bcls482 Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I am having the startus interruptus problem with my 2012 Stelvio NTX with 90,000 km on the clock. The battery is new and shows 12.8 volts at the battery terminals. However, there is only 10.4 volts at the starter solenoid and no startus. I've noticed that the headlights come on as soon as I press the starter button, and to eliminate the headlight draw, I removed the headlight relay and gained an additional volt at the starter solenoid. My question is: should the headlights come on when I press the starter button, or should they come on once the engine starts? Have I got an incorrect relay in my headlight circuit or some other problem? Perhaps this is normal and how everything is supposed to work. Thanks in advance for your answer. Len O

5. scottmastrocinque

This is well documented and explained. Did you exert any effort and read the posts?

90,000 km and you never noticed how the lights work?

I’m confused and bewildered.

BrianR likes this.
  6. patd

patd Just got it firing!

Full disclosure - my first post. I have recently applied the starter wiring fixes to both my Guzzis with great success. Both bikes would try to start yet act as though it had a weak battery (ie hesitate before cranking or trying unsuccessfully to crank). This began with my 2004 V11Sport Ballabio which went through a couple batteries, then I rebuilt the starter with a new solenoid. Both fixes would work for a little while, then regress back to weak starting. I kept the bike on a battery maintainer thinking there was a mysterious current drain, that only helped a little. The other bike is a 2012 Norge and there I also replaced the battery which only helped for a couple days. After reading this entire thread, I made the wiring fix to the Norge first as it is a simple one fused wire change. Wow. Problem solved. The V11 has a different wiring scheme which required a separate relay + fuse to be added, this of course has been discussed previously. The difference when starting was immediately, hugely better. I would guess that aside from delivering a better voltage to the solenoid, the lesser overall wiring resistance allows more power to the starter motor too.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  7. scottmastrocinque

OMG, come here and let me shake your hand Sir!

Now, if everyone that has a problem did this, things would be so much easier and successful for them all.

I tell people all the time that there are very few issues that are not already discussed and solved in detail. SEARCH is a powerful tool and your best friend when combined with reading! :)

Besides, nothing is more stimulating and fun, like interesting and intelligent questions which spring forth from a basic knowledge and understanding garnered from reading.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    GTM® and john zibell like this.