• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Sport 1200 Owner

audiowize

Just got it firing!
Hello Everybody,

I have lurked for a long time looking for a Guzzi to add as a second bike and I finally scored a near mint 2008 1200 Sport this weekend with just 800 miles on the ODO.

I'm working on getting everything sorted out over the next month or two, and one thing I have noticed that I can't find information on in the manuals (I probably missed it) is that stainless hose with a zerk fitting that sits on top of the battery cover. I'm sure if I followed it to the end I would get my answer, but can someone point me to what it is and where I should have found that info in the manuals?

Congratulations! I didn't think anybody would get one with lower mileage (~ 5,000) than mine but you sure did beat me by a lot!

They are a wonderful machine. Mine is bone stock and I love it! I look at it all day long sitting in my shop, waiting for Spring.

IMG 6746

Last edited:
Hello Everybody,

I have lurked for a long time looking for a Guzzi to add as a second bike and I finally scored a near mint 2008 1200 Sport this weekend with just 800 miles on the ODO.

I'm working on getting everything sorted out over the next month or two, and one thing I have noticed that I can't find information on in the manuals (I probably missed it) is that stainless hose with a zerk fitting that sits on top of the battery cover. I'm sure if I followed it to the end I would get my answer, but can someone point me to what it is and where I should have found that info in the manuals?
Congratulations!!

So on the clutch perch there is what looks like a little LED poking up, and this also seems unfamiliar.

Congratulations! I didn't think anybody would get one with lower mileage (~ 5,000) than mine but you sure did beat me by a lot!
I got the cluster powered up and it's more like 970 miles, but still low. I'd trade away a few thousand miles for more assurance that things don't start leaking like crazy when I fire this beast up!

I got the cluster powered up and it's more like 970 miles, but still low. I'd trade away a few thousand miles for more assurance that things don't start leaking like crazy when I fire this beast up!
This is the problem with ultra-low-mileage motorcycles.

When they have miles this low for their age, almost invariably every oil seal is dry on the inside because no oil has been spread across it for many years.

If I were you I, would check very carefully the oil level in the crank case and make sure that it is no higher than half way up the dipstick (the mid point between low and max).

You do not want excess pressure in the crank case which would cause the rear main seal to leak and once that happens the only option is to separate the motorcycle into two and remove the clutch and replace the seal which is a very intensive and expensive job.

My plan is to crank the bike over with no plugs and no fuel pump power in five second bursts maybe once every ten minutes or so for a few hours to spread the oil that's in it around without actually firing the bike up. I also dumped some 2 stroke oil into the bores as soon as I got the bike to provide a little extra motivation for everything to move willingly.

After that I plan to attempt to fire her up to get the oil warm that's in there, then do an oil/filter change as soon as possible.

If there's anything else that comes to mind be sure to holler! I'm thinking the first attempt at firing will be Friday or Saturday.

What's this LED looking thing sticking up from the banjo bolt?

I sure do enjoy a bike where the fuel injectors can be removed without taking anything else off! I got them all cleaned out and ready for a test fire tomorrow.

I have no idea what that is. It is not a Moto Guzzi part, of that I am sure.

It looks like some kind of electrical tape is wrapped around it there. You will need to unwrap that to see.

Also, it looks like your handlebar has been changed as well. I cannot read the name on it. On my bike, is the Aprila Mana bar (which I believe Todd sells in the STORE), which is a direct swap, but infinitely more comfortable than the stock bar. I can ride this bike all day long without it killing my shoulders or back.

For the life of me though, I cannot wrap my head around your bike with different bars, levers, and that strange light, with only less than 1000 miles. Something doesn't seem right. I could be mistaken but my first inclination is not a good one. Are you sure you are reading the odometer and not a tripometer?

IMG 6779

IMG 6780

IMG 6781

Last edited:
The friend who connected me with the owner of the bike is the one who recommended the Pazzo levers. I don't know if they were orange when they were new, maybe they faded to that color from red?

I got the bike running today and it seems happy. Now it's time for fluids and that alternator belt. Hopefully my tires ship shortly.
The ODO shows 966 miles.

This bike also comes with a sport exhaust, an extra ECU, and it has been converted to open pods. The previous owner told me he had it reworked by our former dealership in the Seattle area with a performance kit that included these parts and deleted the California emissions stuff.

They sure weren't very careful with her were they? They sure dinked that exhaust. In such few miles too. Very strange.

That exhaust is NLA. I looked for one for the longest time. Never seen one in person. Very Cool.

Personally, I think the stock exhaust on the 1200 Sport is about the nicest sounding stock exhaust ever made by Moto Guzzi.

I’m a stock kind of guy so aftermarket stuff usually leaves me cold.

It would be nice to hear what those pipes sound like. Make a video please if you can. 😆

This is mine. I didn't get behind her which is when you can really hear it, but you get the idea. (No I didn't rev it cold. I had pre-warmed her up).

Last edited:
Damn, that's stock? That's definitely louder than I would have expected.

The story with the PO is that he bought the bike, paid for a bunch of mods, rode it a little, then had a heart attack and spent a lot of time in the hospital. The PO had a low speed tip over that sacrificed the crash bars and left a few small chips in the paint on the left side, then decided that it wasn't worth a bleed out since he had to take blood thinners, so the bike went into the garage.

My friend who helped connect me to it actually borrowed it and rode it a few hundred of those 900 miles and promised me it was a killer bike. I initially thought it was an 1100 Breva when I looked at it (at night in a dark garage with my phone as a flashlight), so I made an offer based on that assumption and ended up with a pleasant surprise.

Well the engine oil came out perfectly clean and wonderful, as did the transmission oil, but the final drive oil had a lot of moisture in it.

These bikes are soo much easier to work on than my KTM.

Last edited:
I sent a photo of my key off to the guy on eBay in the UK who cuts Guzzi keys and he was able to decode my key code. I purchased a key from him, but I'm wondering if there's a different source to buy a chip to pop into the key? Otherwise I'll be sending this cut key to AF1 to get duplicated into a key with a chip.

View attachment 24139
What's this LED looking thing sticking up from the banjo bolt?

I sure do enjoy a bike where the fuel injectors can be removed without taking anything else off! I got them all cleaned out and ready for a test fire tomorrow.
If you look just below the hydraulic clutch hose, there is a pair of thin wires running away from the "gadget", secured to the banjo fitting with electrical tape. Trace them to the end and you may find the answer.

I sent a photo of my key off to the guy on eBay in the UK who cuts Guzzi keys and he was able to decode my key code. I purchased a key from him, but I'm wondering if there's a different source to buy a chip to pop into the key? Otherwise I'll be sending this cut key to AF1 to get duplicated into a key with a chip.

I’m not sure you understand the way the system works.

Back