• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Odd vibration after 4000 rpm

huviline

Just got it firing!
Hi,

Let me first say I like my V100. When ever I can I ride it I ride. By now I almost have 1800km on the clock.
There is just one thing right now I would like to ask some guidance. I'll try to describe it as best as I can. My native language is not english so forgive me if something doesn't sound logical :)

For the first 800 km the bike ran like a dream - engine vibration for that big V2 was enjoyable and expectable in pretty much where ever the engine was revving. Then out of the blue when ever the engine rpm-s went over 4000 the whole bike starts to vibrate. It's noticable in the seat and mirrors and everywhere.
It's not as bad that I can't ride it but doesn't feel right either, since before it was not there. Before the vibration increase was somewhat linear in nature (if that makes sence).

Went to the dealer and they said the bike runs good no problems. Changed the oil and did some firmware updates (that made the lower end less jerkier) then sent me riding.

Since there is not much materials out there then I thought I ask here if anybody else has experienced something of a sorts?

Huviline, did the vibration go away after the oil change? Asking, because I started noticing an increase in vibration at 4000-4300 rpm. Unfortunately, that’s cruising range if in 6th gear. It smooths out below or above that. As you mentioned, it didn’t do that from the beginning. My bike has 1k miles, and is getting first service today. I’m hoping the oil change might have a positive impact (that’s why I asked😉).

Finally someone else (not happy about it though) - I thought I was the only one.
After the oil change there was no noticeable difference in the vibration.
The dealer synced the throttle bodies - did not make any difference.
What I have noticed while riding (my oil change was at around 1000km and now bike shows 3780 km) is that when I put cruise control at where vibration is noticeable and ride around bumpier road then sometimes vibration goes away. But only until the rpm goes down and then back to that vibration range :(
When I engine brake through that rpm range then It's noticeable too. Not as vibration but you can tell that there is something that the engine is doing differently there.

Ugh🤔… well, I’m sorry (for both of us) to hear that the oil chg didn’t help. I haven’t gotten my bike back yet - shop is closed on Mondays. But, I’ll see how it behaves. My guess is we aren’t the only ones😉. I could see where a long trip, and holding a steady speed of 70-75mph (about 4100rpm) could cause fatigue, maybe madness🤪. They told me an ecu map update is part of the service. I was/am hoping there may be some positive effect from that. I’m generally happy with the bike, but a couple minor things have revealed themselves. If I can sort them out, and it stays sorted, it’ll be a good ride. Good luck … More later.

I get some resonance at about 4100rpm. Started at about 1700 miles and figure it is part of a v twin "loosening up". Mine is a only a mild resonance though and not an irritating vibration. Nothing like the HD soft tail I once owned where the resonances kicked in hard at about 62mph (dont remember having a tach).

I am a twin guy. I have had many twins. This one is very smooth. It’s not smooth like my old wing , but that bike sucks to ride. This one even has less Guzzi twist then any other Guzzi I have owned. Over all this bike was well done. I have no harsh vibs. Do you normally ride v-twins?

I have a “shot in the dark” here…. take it for what it is please.

Is it possible that in fact conditions changed along the path? It almost sounds like a harmonic resonance is being elicited.

So, for example, have you cranked up your suspension settings? Was the tire pressure the same? Onboard fuel the same? Things like this can instigate sensory input. We take them for granted and think “nothing has changed” but is that really accurate?

Think carefully about what changed between the timeline. You might be surprised.

I will tell you that I can find the harmonic imbalance on any motorcycle if I just work methodically to induce it, which it sounds like you all can do in some regard, but not exactly the same or the same way, at least based upon my reading comprehension of your accounts thus far with your V100’s.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thx Scott - very good point. I can’t think of anything specific that might align with when (my) vibration started. I did reduce (counterclockwise) my rear shock preload setting, but did that way before the vibs began. It is probably coincidental, but the vibes seemed noticeable (for me) when the ambient temp hit up into the upper 80’s/90’s. But… that also lines up with having about 700 miles on the bike. I’ll have to think more on that. Thx for chiming in👍😁.

Vagrant - Apparently, the 1st oil chg has no correlation😂. My only thought around that was, not knowing what Guzzi might put in as new oil from the factory - intended to be changed at 900 miles - …IF they used some kind of break-in oil, or assembly lube type of thing, maybe that first change might be more significant, also considering all the normal first change gunk. By all means a standard (ie, beyond the 1st) oil change wouldn’t logically have an impact. I’m not a mechanic, so honestly don’t know😁.

Cheers!

Hi,

Let me first say I like my V100. When ever I can I ride it I ride. By now I almost have 1800km on the clock.
There is just one thing right now I would like to ask some guidance. I'll try to describe it as best as I can. My native language is not english so forgive me if something doesn't sound logical :)

For the first 800 km the bike ran like a dream - engine vibration for that big V2 was enjoyable and expectable in pretty much where ever the engine was revving. Then out of the blue when ever the engine rpm-s went over 4000 the whole bike starts to vibrate. It's noticable in the seat and mirrors and everywhere.
It's not as bad that I can't ride it but doesn't feel right either, since before it was not there. Before the vibration increase was somewhat linear in nature (if that makes sence).

Went to the dealer and they said the bike runs good no problems. Changed the oil and did some firmware updates (that made the lower end less jerkier) then sent me riding.

Since there is not much materials out there then I thought I ask here if anybody else has experienced something of a sorts?
Hi , the bike has a specific vibration , not a vibration but pulsation what make the Guzzi special and the owner expect... just remind that , even the first oil change is in 1600 km ( 1000 miles ) , the real break in process is continuing , so I will tell that wait until reaching some 5000 kms ( 3000 miles ) before comparing and remember that some vibrations are directly related to the engine connection point on the frame of the bike : you can first check the yellow mark done when manufacturing to see if any screw loosened ? if not DO NOT touch them !!! , these engine supports can change the vibration nature of the bike ... and wait until making some miles , at least 3000 miles or 5000 kms before suspecting anything in my opinion.... oil viscosity suggested is 10W50 but in very high ambient temperature places , this can be something to think about it and need to speak with Guzzi Service , maybe in very high temp like 35 - 40 degree Celsius , oil can loose viscosity which can affect the engine working vibrations ... maybe in this case , another oil can be recommended , but the service will decide that ... generally air cooled Guzzi's works with 10W60 oil , a thicker oil can 10W50...

Hi , the bike has a specific vibration , not a vibration but pulsation what make the Guzzi special and the owner expect... just remind that , even the first oil change is in 1600 km ( 1000 miles ) , the real break in process is continuing , so I will tell that wait until reaching some 5000 kms ( 3000 miles ) before comparing and remember that some vibrations are directly related to the engine connection point on the frame of the bike : you can first check the yellow mark done when manufacturing to see if any screw loosened ? if not DO NOT touch them !!! , these engine supports can change the vibration nature of the bike ... and wait until making some miles , at least 3000 miles or 5000 kms before suspecting anything in my opinion.... oil viscosity suggested is 10W50 but in very high ambient temperature places , this can be something to think about it and need to speak with Guzzi Service , maybe in very high temp like 35 - 40 degree Celsius , oil can loose viscosity which can affect the engine working vibrations ... maybe in this case , another oil can be recommended , but the service will decide that ... generally air cooled Guzzi's works with 10W60 oil , a thicker oil can 10W50...
I understand that Guzzi pulsation of that V2 engine...but in that rev range (4100 - 4500) that is not that it's like a considerably higer pitch rattle. That is what is puzzling me :S
As for the temps in Estonia 30 degrees Celsius is considered pretty much extreme temp here :) when the rattle started the temp was around 10 degrees Celsius.

Right now I'm riding and for the most part just trying to look past that rattle. I just did a 800km around the weekend.

One other thing that keeps popping up is ABS light if I go bit faster than allowed. So far every time I go over 200km/h the ABS light will start flashing. Need to pay a visit to the dealer again to see what that's all about.

Broken record Todd here... this is likely the closed to open loop transition RPM spot, as has been since 2006 or so. Between it and the plug of an exhaust system, it'll be a tail-chase until both are resolved. Once done, you'll enjoy the magic that the engine will truly deliver, along with a detonation-free running and often immensely more power along with cooler running.
Scott and all the rest here that have fitted my FULL GTM set-up know and enjoy here.
As soon as I can get my hands on a V100 (local takers?), I'll start the work needed to get everything developed.

One other thing that keeps popping up is ABS light if I go bit faster than allowed. So far every time I go over 200km/h the ABS light will start flashing. Need to pay a visit to the dealer again to see what that's all about.
Please do. Sounds like a sensor (or possible software) glitch.

I understand that Guzzi pulsation of that V2 engine...but in that rev range (4100 - 4500) that is not that it's like a considerably higer pitch rattle. That is what is puzzling me :S
As for the temps in Estonia 30 degrees Celsius is considered pretty much extreme temp here :) when the rattle started the temp was around 10 degrees Celsius.

Right now I'm riding and for the most part just trying to look past that rattle. I just did a 800km around the weekend.

I will check mine in this rev range, that seems to me that this rev range is I am also using ( generally between 3000 - 4500 RM form me ) but I never driven so much distance in one weekend maybe it is why I am not bothered with it ... but will try this week end to see how I feel ...

My V100S has done this since day 1. At around 4200 RPM there becomes a strong vibration/buzz in the seat that is not there below 4200. Above 5000 it is still present, but not as strong as between 4200 and 5000. My dealer checked it out at first service and said it was fine. It does not seem fine to me... something seems a bit off here... the seat should not buzz at 4200 RPM and above, when there is no buzz at all below 4200. I would love to find a solution for this.

See post #12 above. Or ignore me (as always). ;)

See post #12 above. Or ignore me (as always). ;)
Located in Sweden I’m left to consult local shops here, but it would be very interesting to hear of experience once you have “examined” a V100 in this regard.
My V100 is running as good as one can expect.
It is as nice as generally found in all different reviews, very enjoyable motor and bike!
But if being able to filter out vibrations a tad more and gain that really sweet motor character would be a pleasant thought.
The vibrations on my bike is balancing between irritating and too much in some drive situations, just to be forgotten a few moments later when speed and load is changed again.
In overall the vibrations is fine, really long vacation trips was definitely OK.
Vibrations yes in some situation, but no numb fingers at the end of the day.
So Guzzi character obviously but good enough for all new Guzzi owners as well. 👍

My V85TT vibrates varying amount at different rpm but actually pretty smooth at some. Really it doesn't bother me at all. For those who may own (or ridden) both, how do they compare? Would I find a V100 bothersome?

My V85TT vibrates varying amount at different rpm but actually pretty smooth at some. Really it doesn't bother me at all. For those who may own (or ridden) both, how do they compare? Would I find a V100 bothersome?
I had V85TT now I have V100 S, no difference, just nice V2 vibrations.....

Back