Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

only 7.3v while running

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by LaGrasta, Dec 29, 2020.

1. LaGrasta

LaGrasta Tuned and Synch'ed

My V7 left me stranded for the first time, after 22k miles. It just shut down while riding, coasted to the side. No starter, but would bump start. After towed home, I checked the voltage and while running, it's only putting out 7.5 volts.
    Suggestions (2010 V7 Cafe Classic)?

2. V700Steve

V700Steve GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

Should be easy to check alt wires coming from front by unpluging the voltage regulator. AC volts are in Service Man. That checks out it's the regulator. Inspect all fuses and connectors also. One of the two 30A fuses is for charging circuit. Two yellow wires on reg come from alt for AC check.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Bill Hagan and LaGrasta like this.
  3. LaGrasta

…with it running, I checked it at the starter, thus the 7.5v. I believe this confirms it's the alt. I wasn't certain of how the regulator factored into it though.

4. LaGrasta

Sheesh, Alts are expensive!

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

That confirms nothing. Test the way that Steve told you. Set meter to read AC voltage. It could be the voltage regulator which is easier and cheaper to replace.

Bill Hagan and LaGrasta like this.
  6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

There are quite a few aftermarket reg/rec units available, so not that expensive.

Assuming your battery will also be discharges, if you can, remove it and charge it up, otherwise you may have to replace that as well.

The voltage regulator requires a good earth to the frame/engine. Try adding a wire from the case to an engine bolt.

LaGrasta likes this.
  7. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ High Miler

Alternator belt?

8. kenrover

kenrover Tuned and Synch'ed

My money is on the regulator. That said, I concur with V700Steve. Check all connections before parting with drinking vouchers.

LaGrasta likes this.
  9. LaGrasta

Thank you everyone. I’ve had a busy morning but I have a bit of time now to run out to the garage and test a few things. I’ll report back when I learn more

10. LaGrasta

I found the problem. It looks like it’s burned just a bit 6B78CD85-8D95-455B-9FCE-06A864AF78FD.jpeg

11. john zibell

No belt on the small blocks. Crankshaft mounted.

Bill Hagan and Moto-Uno like this.
  12. V700Steve

V700Steve GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

Yes, I'd say you found it. That was easy. See how easy it is sometimes. Good job. Make sure it didn't blow the 30A fuse.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  13. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

That doesn't look good. Most difficult bit will be getting a new good connection there. Burned wires need cleaning well. But the connector will need replacing, bound to have lost it's spring. Which is possibly what caused the heat.

14. john zibell

Once you remove the black connector, if it is spade type connections you don't need the factory type connector. Individual spade connectors will be fine. I do recommend soldering the new connectors to the wires and make a sleeve to waterproof the finished job. It doesn't matter which wire goes where as it is AC current.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  15. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Crimping with a proper tool works well also . Some folk don't solder so well :) . Peter

Bill Hagan likes this.
  16. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Once the wire has burned to that extent, soldering can be very difficult. But if you can cut it back a little to get clean copper, you can solder OK.
    Spade connectors do have the weakness, if they are not tight, they will heat up, then the spring in them collapses and your problem gets worse.

Bill Hagan and john zibell like this.
  17. Moto-Uno

So tell me how many motorcycle manufacturers use solder joints any more ?
    Chances are that if you can't crimp a joint with the "Proper crimping tools" chances
    of a good solder are probably not too promising either :) . YMMV , Peter

Bill Hagan likes this.
  18. john zibell

They don't solder as it takes time, and time is money on assembly. I have a missile system background and believe me for a good connection a proper solder joint is how to go. I had the three point connector on my LeMans (1990 Bosch system) fry. I redid the three spade connectors (made them individual) and tinned the three male spades at the alternator. No issues since.

19. Moto-Uno

Boy we're going some where now with the rocket industry :clap:, Do they use 12 volts ?
    20 years with crimped connectors on my Le Mans 2 ( and god knows how many kilometers )
    and all is fine too . So to each his own as they say ! Oh yeah and as a closing note , how many
    miles do those rockets have on them ? ;) Peter
    Happy New Year everybody.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I believe it was the US Military that determined that a soldered joint was the third reliable means of securing a good connection. Insulation displacement (punch blocks) was the best, closely followed by wire wrap (we called them Xmas trees). Has things changed since then?

Bill Hagan and Moto-Uno like this.