• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Specification red LED in Norge/Breva Taillight

07JGM

Tuned and Synch'ed
LED Taillight
Hi all, trying to fix the LED taillight on my 2007 Norge.

2 of the 16 in total LED's are running very dim, during normal light and when braking. I did manage to get the housing open: hot air gun on the ABS black cover and some intelligent force.

My first step is to replace the 2 LED's before I dive in potential circuit board issue's.

I'm looking for some specifications of the LED's, anybody with experience in this particular repair?
Output in mcd and voltage is where I have questions on.

What I know sofar: circuit board is manufactured by CMT (Italy), the LED's are SMD type with PLCC4 housing

Regards,

Jan
MG Norge 2007

Last edited:
I'm looking for some specifications of the LED's, anybody with experience in this particular repair?
Output in mcd and voltage is where I have questions on.

What you are asking, doesn’t exist!

This information is not standard nor published by Moto Guzzi.

In fact, no manufacturer would have this type of info available.

Think about it, what you are trying to do.

You are trying to rebuild a finished and sealed, unserviceable component.

You’re on your own with this one my friend. Guaranteed.

I have exactly the same issue but not looked into it yet. Alternativey but a broken one and swap the LEDs over.... maybe chepaer if you ahve the sealed intit dismantled already.

No, just a bit further away in the one that started the industrial rev olution (allegedly). Mind you if someon has a broken one and can take a few od the LEDs off carefully I would appreciate them being sentover at cost of course... Not much chance of that I think though. And its a sealed unit and there are places that repair them I know as Ive seen it on Car renovation programs.

I bought a pack of 10 leds off ebay to repair mine, it's the moisture that gets in to the light that causes the problem. I'll try and dig out the type of led I got

What you are asking, doesn’t exist!

This information is not standard nor published by Moto Guzzi.

In fact, no manufacturer would have this type of info available.

Think about it, what you are trying to do.

You are trying to rebuild a finished and sealed, unserviceable component.

You’re on your own with this one my friend. Guaranteed.
Hi Scott, just for the challenge. If it doesn’t work I’ll get myself a replacement.
Regards Jan

12v red LED, possibly 2 voltage/brightness levels or a twin LED with 2 inputs (Light and brake activated) one output... should be easy to find and they wil be using off the shelf parts Im sure as Guzzi dont design LEDs. Lets see Briand can find a spec. Other than that ill strip the rear end and dismantle the unit. I have seen then with the back taken off so shouldnt be that hard, or is it even a real sealed unit?

or is it even a real sealed unit?
Yes, it’s sealed. However at this age, the seal is no longer intact. Water intrusion is an enemy then.

When I got my 1200 Sport, I seperated the lens from the body of the rear brake light, and then carefully re-epoxied it back together again to make a new closed seal.

I ended up drilling a few small air relief holes in the back side which is protected by the motorcycle chassis to allow air moisture condensation to evaporate.

Of course if it is water 'damage', and the 2 on my light are towards the top, then it could just be deposits shorting out the LED or part of the circuit (I assume ita a board) rather than a failed LED and they ususlly have millions+ operational lifetimes.
When the garage is warmer Ill check mine out.

OK the closest one I can get is the KingBright 604-AA3528SURSK I think, any isead as I cant find anything clost with the 4 foot packeage anymore?

Can you post photos of the PCB? It would help to know if the current limiting is done resistively on the PC board itself or if somehow a different module on the bike is responsible for that.

If the current limiting is done on the PC board, I would suggest getting a cheap 3A adjustable bench supply and ordering an assortment of LEDs from Mouser with the appropriate package, and double the brightness with each different part number. Presuming these are all surface mount parts, you can just touch each one to the PCB hooked up to a bench supply to find one that's about as bright as the others, then you'll know what you need.

Back