• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Specification red LED in Norge/Breva Taillight

I am having to do my rear light again as 3 or 5 have failed or gone dim - when I get around to it, I do have a psare unit so that I can keep on riding.

another site
mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Broadcom-Avago/HSMJ-A401-T40M1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuGN2ig0xo6GzMGRdxmYSaU

Thanks so much - resoldering didnt work. So lets try these (5 per order as per min quantity) Mouser would have been 3 times the cost due to shipping.
thanks again xx
I'll buy you a pint sometime (Mines a GnT..) if it works :)

3 or 5 failing means 2 of the sub circuits. Unlikely all LED will have failed at the same time so check each one out seperately.

Are you making sure that you and the board are earthed as you may be damaging the LEDs by not being earthed to the board and soldering them. Not a mains earth of course as that could be lethal, but an earthed soldering mat for example so you, the iron and the PCB are all at the same potential..

Last edited:
Well I bought the LED s that Briand mentioned (perfect fit), and after removing the PCB, I gently removed the solder from the damaged LEDs, using solder braid and minimum heat and contact time (if you use too much heat then you will lift the tracks and ruin the circuit board) with a cheap soldering Iron, all the time on a surface that was not only clean but also antistatic (glass tabletop will do if needed of course). Made sure I wasnt wearing anything that could generate static such as nylon or man-made fibre clothing (you can do it naked of course but I refrained this time). The LED housing will melt easily, damaging some of the internal circuitry (this circuit shorts out some of the internals that arent use in the LED use here).
So then (wearing latex gloves and everything earthed to the same point (anti static wrist strap for me) I removed the LED from the packaging without touching them as that can damage them internally or contaminate the soldering surfaces. I cleaned the pads on the board and re tinned them (very lightly and quickly - less that 0.25 of a sec with the iron at 220C max. Was using fluxed solder (not plumbers solder as that is completely different) as I have flux cleaner and it makes a better joint than the lead free / Flux free stuff. Placed a drop of glue where the LED will sit and between the pads and placed the LEDs using tweezers so as not to touch them, making sure they were the same orientation as the ones removed (there is a corner cut out to show this on the LED). Let the glue set and then with a little solder on the end of the iron, gently wiped the pad and metal connection on the LED - very quickly, to make a connection. 4 connections to make per LED. Inspected with a magnifier to ensure contacts were made and then cleaned with flux cleaner. let dry, tested on bike (Yay) and then a light coating of PCB lacker to keep the joints isolated from any moisture. Taped a small dry silica bag behind the tail light reflector moulding (so that it didnt contact the PCB), Siliconed up the edge of the black backing moulding and joined that to the reflector assembly. Works OK now and hopefully will do for a while. Main things are to make sure there is no potential for static to damage the component, and minimise the heat used to solder the components on as they melt very easily. You need good eyesight to do this. Its not the same as soldering wires together or resistors into a circuit.
Is that OK - No pics as I just did it xx
katie

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Katie, great explanation, thank you.

Did the old LED’s emit any light or where they completely dead? My two LED’s still emit some light, just a lot less then the other ones.

yes mine emmitted a very little light. Faulty component or a short on the board due to contamination - it wouldnt take much.

Removed the old LED from the PCB board and tried to solder the new LED in place ending up in a complete mess. Need to find the patience to try again somewhere....................

yes, very quick and light touch with the iron - I glued the LEDs in pace or they will move all over the place and/or you end up pushing them around with the iron and melting them.

Back