• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio 2012 NTX

Luma46 said:
This link doesn't work...

Corrected. Don't know why it did that.

http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/public/lum/index.asp

I have yet to see the NTX manual in any language but Italian. Se tu puoi leggere italiano... I have that version from 2011 which is the same bike now coming to North America as a 2012. (I believe, but Pete Roper would know better) It's a 12.7MB pdf file so it won't let me upload it here.

I'm not sure the limit of attachments in email, but if you send me an email telling me you want it, I will try to send it to you.

scottmastrocinque@att.net

Looks like I did find the right one then. Saw 2011 and figured it was not it and the valve adjustment instructions were 4 and 6. Then looked at the specification sheet and saw the fuel quantity at 32L and the valve spec was indeed 6 and 8. Look like they just did not uptate the spec in the instruction sheet. Looks like I am good to go. Found it at this web site that also has a lot of other manuals.

Enjoy boys and thanks for the help.

http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm

So while I am on this topic, anyone have a detailed wiring diagram for the 2012. The one in the manual is a little small. Saw one on here for a 4V that was pretty slick. Wondered if there was one for the 8V NTX. Man, don't even have the bike yet and already thinking about tinkering with it....this can't be good.

canuck1969 said:
Looks like I did find the right one then. Saw 2011 and figured it was not it and the valve adjustment instructions were 4 and 6. Then looked at the specification sheet and saw the fuel quantity at 32L and the valve spec was indeed 6 and 8. Look like they just did not uptate the spec in the instruction sheet. Looks like I am good to go. Found it at this web site that also has a lot of other manuals.

The 2011 Stelvio seems to be still in Italian/French only...

Luma46 said:
canuck1969 said:

The 2011 Stelvio seems to be still in Italian/French only...

Click on the "Workshop Manuals" Tab, Find the 2011 Stelvio 8V and click on the British Flag. It is in english. THe "User Manuals" are still in Italian/French.

canuck1969 said:

Sorry, got confused a bit with that page. The service manual is 2011 and in English. The user/rider's manual is in French/Italian only - am I correct? But thanks for finding it.

canuck1969 said:
So while I am on this topic, anyone have a detailed wiring diagram for the 2012. The one in the manual is a little small. Saw one on here for a 4V that was pretty slick. Wondered if there was one for the 8V NTX. Man, don't even have the bike yet and already thinking about tinkering with it....this can't be good.

Never mind...found it. It is at the same link I gave for the manual. Just click on "Wiring Diagrams". Guess I should have looked there first. It is interactive with layers...much easier...

Luma46 said:
canuck1969 said:

Sorry, got confused a bit with that page. The service manual is 2011 and in English. The user/rider's manual is in French/Italian only - am I correct? But thanks for finding it.

You are correct...........

Preliminary Review after 1 day and 200 kms

I bought my 2009 Stelvio about a year ago. It was new, but the dealer wanted to move it to make way for 2011 models. As a consequence, I got it for a good price.
I found it to be great bike, however there were a few features, like the small tank and other items that I did not care for. There were aftermarket fixes for some of my concerns, by Stucchi and others, but I decided in December to trade my 2009 in on a 2012 NTX.

I picked the 2012 up yesterday and here are my initial impressions after only about 3 hours in the saddle and 200 km's. on the clock.

Appearance
I got one of my employees to drop me off to pickup the bike at the dealer. I had traded in my 2009 and it was sitting on the showroom floor beside the 2012. My employee walked up to the 2009 and said: “What a great-looking bike . . . “ He completely ignored the 2012. The 2012 is more subdued and conservative in appearance compared to the 2009-2011 models. I am talking about the black models here! The 2012 NTX Lave Black is a beautiful bike but it will not draw a crowd like the Orange one will.
Fuel
The 2012 fuel tank is almost twice the size of the 2009 model. I always found the small tank to be annoying because my girlfriend drives a Beamer Brick with a big tank and she is always waiting for me because I must refuel roughly twice as often as she does. Now I have more range than she does!!!! If I add the Stucchi auxiliary tank later . . . heh heh heh !!! Also, the new Stelvio has a 5-bar, more accurate fuel gage than the 2009, so you can carry more gas, but also get a more accurate reading of your fuel status.
I was concerned with the increased fuel payload that the bike would be more top-heavy and unmanageable at low speeds. I am 62 years old, 5’9’, 29” inseam, so the 2009 is a handful in parking lots and heavy, slow city traffic. The extra fuel made no apparent difference in the slow speed handling as long as I remembered to use the rear brake at parking lot speeds for stability.
Power
The 2012 has somewhat more torque and power at the lower RPM’s, than the 2009, but I did not find the difference large. Also I did not find a large difference in overall torque and power between the 2009 + 2012.
Handling
Both bikes handle very well. Some people have said that the narrower rear tire of the 2012 Stelvio would provide superior handling but I would say there is no obvious difference. The tire is not a lot narrower than the 2009. The tires are both Pirelli Scorpions. They have slightly different tread patterns but I could not detect any handling difference in this short period. The suspension seems a bit stiffer on the 2012 model, but that may just be setup.
Brakes
Much the same, except for ABS which a have not tested ;-)
Clutch
Not as “heavy as the 2009, (the 2009 used to give me cramps at times) but the friction zone is too far out in my view. I adjusted the lever to the maximum, but am a going to ask the dealer if it can be adjusted even more! I like a clutch that takes hold quickly!
Comfort
The riding position is the same. The larger windshield offers better protection against buffeting. The seat of the 2012 has thicker padding. Comfort levels however seemed about the same. The extra padding gives the bike a slightly greater apparent seat height.
Mirrors
The mirrors of the 2009 vibrate a lot and some Stelvio owners have swapped them out for ones without flashers. I think Harpers has a kit to do this. I never did. I was told the 2012 would have the European style blinkers but that is not the case. It has the same signal lights as the 2009, which was a disappointment. MG has made it easier to convert to the Euro signals though. You must clean the paint off the fairing lights (which are now included, add bulbs to the sockets (included,) replace the mirrors and swap the wiring to the fairing. However the mirrors on the 2012 vibrate considerably less than the 2009. I may leave them because the supplied blinker/mirrors are more visible than the Euro style so if safety is more important than aesthetics, the supplied mirrors may be preferable.
Stands
The side stand is much the same and in my view does not angle forward enough, nor does it lean the bike far enough left, meaning you can only use the side stand on ground that is perfectly level or sloped slightly to the left. You cannot use the side stand on a slight downhill spot either, only flat or uphill. It’s still a pig to put the bike on its center stand.
Horn
The bike comes with the same single horn as before. It is totally useless. The bike needs two horns with a relay. I am replacing the horn ASAP.
Economy
Too early to say.

In sum I am very pleased with my purchase. The 2009 was a great bike and the 2012 is even better. It could really benefit from a better horn, better side stand and a faster grabbing clutch. However all in all highly recommended. :D

So are you wishing you had ordered the Gold one?

Just got the call and mine is here...they also have a Burnt Orange one so I am running down there to look and make sure I want the black one... :woohoo:

roofus said:
Preliminary Review after 1 day and 200 kms

I bought my 2009 Stelvio about a year ago. It was new, but the dealer wanted to move it to make way for 2011 models. As a consequence, I got it for a good price.
I found it to be great bikes, however there were a few features, like the small tank and other items that I did not care for. There were aftermarket fixes for some of my concerns, by Stucchi and others, but I decided in December to trade my 2009 in on a 2012 NTX.

I picked the 2012 up yesterday and here are my initial impressions after only about 3 hours in the saddle and 200 km's. on the clock.

Appearance
I got one of my employees to drop me off to pickup the bike at the dealer. I had traded in my 2009 and it was sitting on the showroom floor beside the 2012. My employee walked up to the 2009 and said: “What a great-looking bike . . . “ He completely ignored the 2012. The 2012 is more subdued and conservative in appearance compared to the 2009-2011 models. I am talking about the black models here! The 2012 NTX Lave Black is a beautiful bike but it will not draw a crowd like the Orange one will.
Fuel
The 2012 fuel tank is almost twice the size of the 2009 model. I always found the small tank to be annoying because my girlfriend drives a Beamer Brick with a big tank and she is always waiting for me because I must refuel roughly twice as often as she does. Now I have more range than she does!!!! If I add the Stucchi auxiliary tank later . . . heh heh heh !!! Also, the new Stelvio has a 5-bar, more accurate fuel gage than the 2009, so you can carry more gas, but also get a more accurate reading of your fuel status.
I was concerned with the increased fuel payload that the bike would be more top-heavy and unmanageable at low speeds. I am 62 years old, 5’9’, 29” inseam, so the 2009 is a handful in parking lots and heavy, slow city traffic. The extra fuel made no apparent difference in the slow speed handling as long as I remembered to use the rear brake at parking lot speeds for stability.
Power
The 2012 has somewhat more torque and power at the lower RPM’s, than the 2009, but I did not find the difference large. Also I did not find a large difference in overall torque and power between the 2009 = 2012.
Handling
Both bikes handle very well. Some people have said that the narrower rear tire of the 2012 Stelvio would provide superior handling but I would say there is no obvious difference. The tire is not a lot narrower than the 2009. The tires are both Pirelli Scorpions. They have slightly different tread patterns but I could not detect any handling difference in this short period. The suspension seems a bit stiffer on the 2012 model, but that may just be setup.
Brakes
Much the same, except for ABS which a have not tested ;-)
Clutch
Not as “heavy as the 2009, (the 2009 used to give me cramps at times) but the friction zone is too far out in my view. I adjusted the lever to the maximum, but am a going to ask the dealer if it can be adjusted even more! I like a clutch that takes hold quickly!
Comfort
The riding position is the same. The larger windshield offers better protection against buffeting. The seat of the 2012 has thicker padding. Comfort levels however seemed about the same. The extra padding gives the bike a slightly greater apparent seat height.
Mirrors
The mirrors of the 2009 vibrate a lot and some Stelvio owners have swapped them out for ones without flashers. I think Harpers has a kit to do this. I never did. I was told the 2012 would have the European style blinkers but that is not the case. It has the same signal lights as the 2009, which was a disappointment. MG has made it easier to convert to the Euro signals though. You must clean the paint off the fairing lights (which are now included, add bulbs to the sockets (included,) replace the mirrors and swap the wiring to the fairing. However the mirrors on the 2012 vibrate considerably less than the 2009. I may leave them because the supplied blinker/mirrors are more visible than the Euro style so if safety is more important than aesthetics, the supplied mirrors may be preferable.
Stands
The side stand is much the same and in my view does not angle forward enough, nor does it lean the bike far enough left, meaning you can only use the side stand on ground that is perfectly level or sloped slightly to the left. You cannot use the side stand on a slight downhill spot either, only flat or uphill. It’s still a pig to put the bike on its center stand.
Horn
The bike comes with the same single horn as before. It is totally useless. The bike needs two horns with a relay. I am replacing the horn ASAP.
Economy
Too early to say.

In sum I am very pleased with my purchase. The 2009 was a great bike and the 2012 is even better. It could really benefit from a better horn, better side stand and a faster grabbing clutch. However all in all highly recommended. :D
do you wich you had ordered the orange?

Holeshot08 said:
So are you wishing you had ordered the Gold one?

Just got the call and mine is here...they also have a Burnt Orange one so I am running down there to look and make sure I want the black one... :woohoo:

Nah!!!! the black one is elegant and understated like me ;)

Hi Guys,

I live in Quebec city region, eastern Canada. I am getting my Stelvio NTX tomorrow morning. :D

dufourg said:
Hi Guys,

I live in Quebec city region, eastern Canada. I am getting my Stelvio NTX tomorrow morning. :D

Congrats! Picked mine up today. LOVE it! You will too I bet. :woohoo:

Everyone's getting a Stelvio!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Guzzi won't be able to keep up, lol.
Congrats to you all. :D

190 km later,

I love It! I use to ride a 2002 VStrom 1000. The Stelvio ride is much smoother, the engine has a lot more torque below 3500 RPM and rider's protection is much much better. I Hope the reliability will be as good as the VStrom! :D

Back