• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Top Box Set Ups?

20001200c

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just wondering what combos of top box people are running with, as I'm going to need to fit extra luggage for our trip to Provence in September and I've never previously needed to run anything other than panniers.

Can the Givis be fitted to the Guzzi rear rack, or is the Givi mount system completely different? Indeed, is the Givi a better bet than the Guzzi item, I seem to remember that the Guzzi box had a habit of self removal on the road at one time.....

Thanks in advance for any info, I'm off to trawl fleabay for a look see......

If you already have the Guzzi rack, then you are stuck with the Guzzi box.
Givi make a rack to fit the Breva1100/Norge, which is somewhat cheaper than the Guzzi one. In fact the Givi rack and box is cheaper than just the Guzzi box. And you have a choice of boxes with Givi.

The guzzi top case will still eject itself even with the new and improved mount. But if you don't mind modifying it a bit so it will stay put, the Guzzi top case is a decent piece of plastic and it has the added benefit of using the same key that unlocks everything else on the bike.

The Givi top cases use a mount that is made to fit the Guzzi. They also appear to sit higher on the back of the bike than the Guzzi top case.

I personally prefer the look of the Guzzi top case to the Givi, it seems to blend better into the lines of the Norge. But to each their own.

That "modification" to the Guzzi box usually involves bolting it to the rack. I personally would not do that as I want to be able to remove it easily.

Hi,
I have a Givi top Box, E460 from memory, its the large size and can hold 2 full face helmets, its been on over 2 years/20,000Kms and has not fallen off and is watertight. I had to buy the mounting kit which comprises 2 steel brackets and a hard plastic base that the boxs attaches too. I fitted the optional brake light as well. Be advised when you "tap" into the brake circuit a diode is needed otherwise it interferes with the tail/brake light operation. I did find by pure luck that the 2 bolts that come with the fitting kit are too long and if bolted down, the left side one would have penertrated the rear tail light assembly by 10mm (an expensive replacement) I did write to Givi 2 years ago but am still awaiting a reply.
Cheers Kevin

Thanks for your responses guys, I'm tending towards the Givi E460 & SR210M fitting kit at the moment, as it will probably be easier to get hold of, and I want the box to be easily removable when on holiday, and it would appear that the Guzzi one still needs the 'peace of mind' mod.....

I've seen the setup used by "GuzziBob" on his Norge and plan to follow his lead. He uses the Givi SR210M mount for the monolock (not monokey) cases. He's told me that it fits the Norge easily. He uses the E-370N case, size 39 (not 37) liters, which is smaller than the factory 52 liter case which strikes me as overlarge.

GuzziBob's looks like this. Only the bike is red. I love mine, but would go a little larger if on a long two up ride. If riding two up, get the optional backrest. on mine I bought the optional light kit and found it easy to tap into the brake lights.
It also holds a medium Pizza. :cheer:

I use the topbox they sell for the Breva on my Norge.

It looks to me like a Givi, re-badged. I bought the GT NOrge which didn't have a topbox as standard and I was given the option of the Norge case but decided against it because it didn't seem to have as much useful room as the Breva box.

It hasn't leapt off anywhere and it's been on some very rough roads!

Zebee

Being a fan of Givi products for many years, their luggage systems are my favourite.

On the Breva I fabricated topbox mounts to place the topbox as low and as far forward as possible and use Monolock 26 and 46 litre topboxes as the ride dictates. Both the rated weight-loading and top-speed limit for these topboxes have been exceeded by gross margins, often, and without any problems at all.

Rarely do I fit the Guzzi side panniers and wish I'd bought Givi ones instead.

I purchased the Givi E460 with my Norge rather than the Guzzi one - both for cost savings and and usability. The design of the Guzzi box is such that it is unlikely two full face helmets will not fit although the boxes are of comparable size. Personally, I think the Givi looks better than the Guzzi box as well - but that is personal taste, not something very objective.

YMMV

jdg

I got the Givi silver top for my box. Perfect match fot the Norge silver. Blends in better than the black one.. Their red is also a good match for the Guzzi red.
I do wish the Givi mount was a couple of inches lower though.

The MG top box for the Breva is made my Givi. It's a great buy and I like it better than the Norge box. I don't know if the Norge box is made by Givi, as they are quite different.

I have the Givi topbox. High quality, has never worked loose let alone come off... also totally waterproof even in prolonged heavy rain. Only issue is the agricultural-looking clamping arrangement, visible in the photo. It took a bit of time, and some language that I hope the kids didn't hear, to set the mounting plate location up so that it detaches easily (rear fastener access) and doesn't foul the seat.

147R wrote:
I have the Givi topbox. High quality, has never worked loose let alone come off... also totally waterproof even in prolonged heavy rain. Only issue is the agricultural-looking clamping arrangement, visible in the photo. It took a bit of time, and some language that I hope the kids didn't hear, to set the mounting plate location up so that it detaches easily (rear fastener access) and doesn't foul the seat.

David

Odd, mine went on with no trouble at all. Wiring up the stoplight took all of ten minutes thought plus actual labor crimping on the wire.

One additional point worth making. Givi makes 2 types of cases, Monolock & Monokey, similar in design but each with it's own specific mounting rack. Monokey has the potential added bonus of allowing bags & top case to have same key-which is irrelevant if you already have the Guzzi supplied bags that come standard with all US Norges. Advantage of the Monolock rack is that on those occaisions when you have the top case off & might just what to use the rack as-well, a rack-it is easier to bungee stuff to the Monolock than the Monokey. Got this tip from Kiwi Dave who rents Guzzis in New Zealand, & went with the Monolock rack SR210M for that reason. I am very happy with both the rack & the E370 case I got to go with it. Easy to use/remove/remount, watertight, trouble free, looks fine in mostly flat black IMHO, available in numerous sizes to suit your needs & tastes.

It was Bob's fault that I got hooked on the Givi top box in the first place. For the "Big" trip I suppose you could buy a larger box, but the rack remains the same, giving you some flexibility.

Thanks for all the input guys, I've ordered a Givi V46 with an SR210 rack.

Good info, put on my givi sr120m rack and got the e30 topbox which fits perfect on it w/out any mods. Easy on and easy off.

Back