• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT stalls at idle

Well it's not done, waiting on a "tip over valve" that was ordered last Tuesday. Cant wait to get back on it. Larry Malinowski since your up north, the clearwater location has a sharp guy, I think his name is Grant. I talked with him seems like he would be a back up/plan B, if I dont like Fort Meyers .

Well it's not done, waiting on a "tip over valve" that was ordered last Tuesday. Cant wait to get back on it. Larry Malinowski since your up north, the clearwater location has a sharp guy, I think his name is Grant. I talked with him seems like he would be a back up/plan B, if I dont like Fort Meyers .

I install tip over valves into a trash can. They cause more problems than they solve.

Yeah, I'm with you on the tip over valve, but since there doing warranty and an update flash, I gotta dance their dance! When I get it home and do a 1000 or so trouble free miles, I'll prolly start removing emission stuff. Really depends on how it runs.

Yeah, I'm with you on the tip over valve, but since there doing warranty and an update flash, I gotta dance their dance! When I get it home and do a 1000 or so trouble free miles, I'll prolly start removing emission stuff. Really depends on how it runs.
Yes you do, but Dave, I'm going to respectively ask you to carefully read the paragraphs above a few times until it sinks in. John, Scott and myself (amongst many others here) do this for a living, and I personally have been literally submersed in the brand for 22+ years, and it's my business for well over a decade. John's advice posted above should only live in the paid "Ask a Wrench" section.

GTM (Todd). what does the the tip over valve do that is bad? I've had a few recent new bikes, 2020 Vstrom 1050XT, 2018 Harley road glide 2014 Ducati 1200 monster, but haven't had any problems that im aware of related to a tip over valve. Please hook me up wi the info.

Good news! I have my bike back and it runs normal, just put about 120 miles on it with no idle hunting or motor shutting off. Let me say the dealer in Fort Meyers Florida is very difficult. I was told me installing the wires and with a the zip tie pulling it to close to some electrical devices, just under the tank and behind the steering neck was the problem, also I did hear something about a "campaign" to reroute some wires. Also the fuel tank tip over valve was broke. They blamed me for that. They had to order a new tip over valve, and had no clue to when it would come in, I asked could they barrow one off a new bike from the show room floor. Nope! I asked to speak with the owner, they said he does not speak with customers... Every time I'd speak with any one there it was a joke, kinda like they got their jollies pissing off customers. I got the bike and on order is the tip over valve, maybe they'll call when it comes in. Right now I just have a double end barbed tube connecting the hose. I hope I never have to step foot in there, I have a dealer in Clearwater, Florida that over the phone sounds way better.

Good news! I have my bike back and it runs normal, just put about 120 miles on it with no idle hunting or motor shutting off. Let me say the dealer in Fort Meyers Florida is very difficult. I was told me installing the wires and with a the zip tie pulling it to close to some electrical devices, just under the tank and behind the steering neck was the problem, also I did hear something about a "campaign" to reroute some wires. Also the fuel tank tip over valve was broke. They blamed me for that. They had to order a new tip over valve, and had no clue to when it would come in, I asked could they barrow one off a new bike from the show room floor. Nope! I asked to speak with the owner, they said he does not speak with customers... Every time I'd speak with any one there it was a joke, kinda like they got their jollies pissing off customers. I got the bike and on order is the tip over valve, maybe they'll call when it comes in. Right now I just have a double end barbed tube connecting the hose. I hope I never have to step foot in there, I have a dealer in Clearwater, Florida that over the phone sounds way better.

In the dealer’s defense on this particular issue, having been one for BMW…

Most every new motorcycle on the floor of a dealership, does not belong to the dealer. It is not paid for. It is “on flooring” from either the manufacturer flooring plan or a 3rd party company like GE finance, etc.

It is EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN in every flooring contract I have ever reviewed or signed, that you are prohibited from “borrowing” parts from a new motorcycle to use for repairs on another motorcycle. That motorcycle is COLLATERAL against a loan. The dealer doesn’t own the donor bike! The manufacturer or flooring company does and they will cancel your flooring contract in quick order, if you do this.

So don’t bust the balls of the guys who told you no and then told you the owner doesn’t meet with customers. This is standard practice nowadays unfortunately.

I would have explained it to you just as above so that you understood that their hands are tied and they could not do want you wanted. It wasn’t possible.

As to you causing the wiring issue, they are correct. Your motorcycle wiring is CANbus, not old style basic wiring.

There are different circuits that cannot be in proximity to each other because of the very nature of how this type of electrical configuration works. (It is true there is a bulletin from Piaggio about a known manufacturing issue with one model for this exact situation, CANbus interference due to magnetic wave interference between incompatible branches.)

Your “ignorance” (not a pejorative at all), simply prevented you from knowing this would be an issue

Last edited:
I hear ya Scott, I just remember the olden days when I worked at a multi line dealership (late 80's). We did some creative customer service; for example borrowing a part, delivering a vehicle in our own truck I even remember one customer her sled was broke and only days old, going over after hours, drinking all her Rum and trying to fix it...

I hear ya Scott, I just remember the olden days when I worked at a multi line dealership (late 80's). We did some creative customer service; for example borrowing a part, delivering a vehicle in our own truck I even remember one customer her sled was broke and only days old, going over after hours, drinking all her Rum and trying to fix it...
When I was at Brattin Motors BMW Motorcycles in San Diego, and even now in my motorcycle shop, Scott's Motorcycle Workshop LLC, I still do whatever I can to assist customers, but even then, some things are just not possible due to extemporaneous constraints.

Mik gold, dont throw in towel just yet. My dealer has located and is fixing the problem. Apparently when I wired some after market light into the wire harness, I did something wrong that would make the bike stall at idle, they rewired it. And as for the idle "hunting" it was required to do a flash to the ECU, I guess it wasn't done at the dealer when I bought it. If your have troubles with your dealer, get the number to Moto Guzzi Customer Care, I did that and they fired off a sharp email to the dealer and got things rolling. Good luck!
It seems that sometimes it only takes a Dime more to get the ball rolling the right direction.

I returned to motorcycles from a near quarter of a century off from motor biking. I've a city and guilds in motorcycle technology also from a previous life. The dealer requested info from moto guzzi on the 20th sept. It is now 14th October and they've not replied.
I have a 60 mile round trip commute and the trains are threatening strikes. I'm more than a sad face and will maybe stay a cyclist or car owner. The v85tt was ex display and 1.5 years into the 4 years hire purchase . Thanks no.

I returned to motorcycles from a near quarter of a century off from motor biking. I've a city and guilds in motorcycle technology also from a previous life. The dealer requested info from moto guzzi on the 20th sept. It is now 14th October and they've not replied.
I have a 60 mile round trip commute and the trains are threatening strikes. I'm more than a sad face and will maybe stay a cyclist or car owner. The v85tt was ex display and 1.5 years into the 4 years hire purchase . Thanks no.
:( sympathies. every bike can break but there's no excuse for the way you're being treated.

My shop just called me. 2 months downbthe line and they have been advised to swap the throttle body to see if that works. 500-£600 not including labour.
As its out of warranty. Thus was after piagui saying they were going to try a heat sensor.
I now own a piece of junk. Is they're anyone seeking v85tt parts? 2019 model

Back