• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT stalls at idle

My shop just called me. 2 months down the line and they have been advised to swap the throttle body to see if that works.
Oh "modern" times of parts replacers, instead of real mechanics. Did they really tell you "to see if that works?"

My shop just called me. 2 months downbthe line and they have been advised to swap the throttle body to see if that works. 500-£600 not including labour.
As its out of warranty. Thus was after piagui saying they were going to try a heat sensor.
I now own a piece of junk. Is they're anyone seeking v85tt parts? 2019 model

I don't recall reading about your motorcycle. What is going on? Have you enlisted help from here?

The garage tell me "they'd like to get to the bottom of it and know how frustrating it can be".
But yes I'm going to email guzzi tomorrow as I can't believe this behaviour.

Yes £ 500 to see if that works and if it does another £500 for Labour. If it doesn't work then I forego the first £500.

I don't recall reading about your motorcycle. What is going on? Have you enlisted help from here?
I am unsure how to enlist help here. I have read some articles of what the issues can be and for at least 6 month this bike has been in the garage for diagnostics and services. None have solved it stalling when the engine temperature is warm.
I am now faced with a bill which may not work.

There was a bulletin from Moto Guzzi many years ago about the Breva stalling when winding the throttle off and coming to a stop, the throttle bodies needed cleaning as a tiny air hole got gummed up with oil mist from the air box. It happened to mine , I cleaned them, cant remember what i used, maybe "brake clean" then I re routed the pipe from the engine breather to the air box to an external bottle. no issues since.

I am unsure how to enlist help here. I have read some articles of what the issues can be and for at least 6 month this bike has been in the garage for diagnostics and services. None have solved it stalling when the engine temperature is warm.
I am now faced with a bill which may not work.

The best way is to create a post where you carefully detail what you have (year, model, mileage, service history, modifications, etc), what it is doing in detail, when it is doing it, the symptoms it is displaying in detail, and precisely what has been done thus far and any noticed changes.

That allows those of us in the know to attempt to accurately diagnose your issue and offer advice or suggestions.

I assure you that there is infinitely more experienced Moto Guzzi mechanics here than at your dealership and perhaps you may find the solution you need but haven’t gotten yet. However, without the detailed information, it is impossible to offer realistic help.

That’s how you do it. 👌👍✌️🤞

It is a 2019 moto guzzi 850tt ex display model with 20000 done 1800 by me.
Full service history at appropriate distances. I drive and after 20 minutes sometimes 50 mins it stalls unless I keep the throttle open and the rev counter engine revolutions above around 2000 rpm.
So idling is impossible and riding in slow traffic jams 8s downright dangerous.
I only want to trade 8t 8n for a bike that works. My garage are going to attempt to Change the throttle body.thanks for the advice bit I'll be glad to see the back of thi is I can live through the next few weeks. I'm doing more miles on my bicycle.

Don’t mechanics think anymore?

Throttle bodies undergo no significant changes in 20-50 minutes of riding, capable of bringing about your symptoms.

Sensors that get hot, wiring or connectors nearby the engine, things like this.

That is what should be being checked.

You are obviously looking for something which changes conditions, over that specified distance, and more importantly, it is repeatable which tells me something is being affected by heat most likely.

I once had a Ducati 996 that from brand new, had a connector right over the engine. When the engine was stone cold, it started and ran fine. 40 minutes later, cough, sputtering, stalling. I’d let it cool down completely, and it went away. It was maddening. Then - Rinse and repeat.

Turned out a connector was not fully put together where the pins were locked into the connector body. When it got hot, the pins/wires moved away from each other and the connection would intermittently break. Once I checked the connector ends, I discovered it. Fixed the pins in place where they were now locked in and voila!

Something is being affected with heat. I’d bet on it.

I don't know if the 2019 is the same, but my 2021 has the ECU under the seat. The single throttle body has a throttle position sensor and stepper motor integral to it. There is also a removeable manifold absolute pressure sensor (with integrated intake air temperature sensor) attached to it with a single screw. It is possible that the integrated throttle position sensor and/or stepper motor is/are being affected by heat. I think the MAP/IAT sensor would set diagnostic trouble codes if it were failing. As an example, I had error codes and limp mode (engine would hardly run) when the rubber Y-shaped manifold partially came loose from the throttle body (causing an air leak).

It’s always rather frustrating reading some of these complaints because I always feel there is a great deal of information or a significant part of the story that does not get told.

This gentleman obviously HATES his Moto Guzzi motorcycle. He views it as “a piece of junk” and obviously as the worst motorcycle he’s ever owned. This is terrible.

The motorcycle is not junk. The mechanic he is taking it to, is!

Where is a logical progression of diagnosis here? I don’t see any.

The workshop he’s taking it to, he says is a Moto Guzzi dealer. Have they not connected it to a PADS (Piaggio Aprilia Diagnostic System) and read out the information as to what is going on? He has not stated any information about this.

He also stated he ran for 18,000 (or is it 1800 because you’ve written BOTH! ) miles before this issue started.

[ Mik gold - PLEASE SLOW DOWN AND WRITE CLEARLY AND PROOFREAD WHAT YOU WRITE! YOU CAN EDIT YOUR POSTS YOU KNOW. NOBODY CAN HELP YOU WITH THE MESS YOU HAVE WRITTEN. ]

My question is what did you do to your motorcycle at roughly 18,000 miles? Did you add in your own electrical devices somewhere on the bike? Did you change anything? Something? There is a piece of information missing. I’m sure of it.

Swapping out parts all willy-nilly is not being a mechanic. It’s being a dolt.

I’m not detecting a shred of logical thinking in this whole process and I cannot determine from the minuscule amount of information provided, what has or has not been done. Mik gold just wants to throw out his anger and frustration in all directions but in order to offer intelligent help, we would all need a clear, accurate timeline of what was done when and what happened as a result of it.

Let’s get real here for a minute. A motorcycle is a machine. Nothing more. It does not have “gremlins” and it is not possessed with witchcraft.

It is subject to the laws of cause and effect. Nothing more.

I have never failed to rectify a motorcycle’s issues by proceeding in a logical progression, based upon complete and fully disclosed information.

Invariably if I have ever found myself chasing my tail, it was because the owner failed to “remember” or tell me about something they did to their own motorcycle. I’ve seen just about everything you can imagine from wiring loom hacking, E85 fuel in the tank, messing with the carburetor or fuel injection, turning things with a screwdriver, to even putting an industrial cleaning solvent into the fuel tank.

Unfortunately, my OCD gets the better of me here and I’d very much like to help Mik gold out here, but we cannot get him to calm down and give the blow by blow story, so that perhaps one of us could recognize where things went wrong. He had 18,000 trouble free miles. Something has changed and it is changing and reverting. Repetitively. At least as far as I can deduce.

The answer is right there but Mik gold refuses to fill in the details.

This makes diagnosis or even logical ideas about what is happening, impossible.

Last edited:
I think our poor mik deserves some sympathy, but yes it seems clear he is not here looking for answers, but rather to vent. whether his anger is appropriate or not is impossible to know from what is written, and it's hard to see how it's useful...

any bike can break, every factory makes bad products. I've seen posts like this on forums dedicated to every brand over the years, and the problem is the mindset. without a logical troubleshooting path, emotion takes over, and the brand becomes the enemy. 'it should work for what I've paid! I'll never buy a >insert brand here< again!'

now, sure, some brands have design philosophies that are just not compatible with some buyers. I don't think that's the case with a bike like the V85 really, but regardless it's something revealed through investigation, not venting.

Mik gold, dont throw in towel just yet. My dealer has located and is fixing the problem. Apparently when I wired some after market light into the wire harness, I did something wrong that would make the bike stall at idle, they rewired it. And as for the idle "hunting" it was required to do a flash to the ECU, I guess it wasn't done at the dealer when I bought it. If your have troubles with your dealer, get the number to Moto Guzzi Customer Care, I did that and they fired off a sharp email to the dealer and got things rolling. Good luck!
After the last visit to the dealer and a 9 week wait they must have been reading this forum and decided to try, and found that replacing an ht lead seemed to make the PADS system happy. This pads was used twice previously. I had to email and phone(harass) PIAGGIO to get this to happen though.
According to hearsay this was unusual and occurs rarely if ever.
For other posters I did do some things to the bike I fitted a GPS xt zumo mount through the headlight unit via y connection. Guzzi heated grips from dealership dealer fitted, lithium battery self, MIA from guzzi self and an extra USB under the saddle self. I figured having electronic city and guilds in motorcycle maintenance these adaptions were within my capabilities.
I had 21,230 miles when I traded it in. These problems started at around 12,000 miles - ish. I did stall a few times up to that maybe 3 before 12,000 thinking it was my bad, but on hindsight possibly not?
I am now owning another bike and shall leave this site. Good luck to you all and I hope this is a very rare occurance. Thank you welding dave. xxx

Last edited:
Bought a 2020V85tt with 18k on it. I set the valves at .10 intake and .15 exhaust at TDC, using center stand and sixth gear to find TDC, which was the most difficult part of it all. It helps to remove the rear gas tank bolt and prop it up about and inch or so to manage the spark plug wire channels.
At cold start, the engine lopes for about fifteen seconds and then settles into a near 1500 rpm idle. Seems to run strong as ever, with a bit of valve noise (aircooled).
Hoping for the best, so far so good!
Only caution I have is to remove straw/chopstick when cycling through while hunting TDC as it will get stuck on the compression stroke if you leave it in the hole and getting broken stuff out might be a bitch.

Back