• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Vacuum Gauges / meters

Mc Tool

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I went to use my old mercury column gauges other day and found that they have got moisture in the mercury in the column ( think its moisture ) , any how I want to buy new gauges and seeing as how the old ones were given to me I never had to think about whether to go for dial type gauges ( with dampeners ) or gauges with the bouncing balls or the new non mercury replacement column gauges . Really only need two cylinder set up .
Bike is 1974 850t ( and a 906 ).
Recommendations please :)

I own about 10 different kinds. Everything from 30 year old mercury sticks to modern ones of every kind.

#1 Choice: Carbmate

Without question, the most accurate and easiest
one I own and prefer, is the electronic Carbmate. In stock configuration, it is designed for 2 cylinders max, however there is an adapter kit to make it suitable for a 4 port setup.

It’s accuracy is unrivaled, adjustable resolution from 0.5cm - 2.0cm of Mercury, it can be instantly calibrated with visual indicators and an adjustment dial, and it hands down provides exceptional performance. I used it daily in my workshop for over a decade and it is the one I use to this day on my own equipment.

IMG 7097

#2 Choice: Carbtune Pro

For the very best of a modern version of the old style mercury sticks
, without the exorbitant cost of mercury, let alone the very real and significant health dangers, I use and recommend the Carbtune Pro. In stock configuration, it is designed for up to 4 cylinders.

It utilizes precision crafted and mass balanced silver metal rods that look like mercury along with precision venturi dampening disks inside the calibrated rubber hoses. The only shortcoming of this setup is that the hoses are precision formed as to internal diameter and precision cut to exactly the same length. The device’s accuracy relies upon this fact.

You cannot alter their length ever, so if you accidentally damage a hose, you will need to contact them directly to purchase an appropriate replacement.

IMG 7096

👎 WORST POS EVER! 👎

Here is my warning to you!

Do not buy any dial vacuum gauge regardless of manufacturer or price!

THEY ARE ALL PURE CRAP!

Their accuracy is terrible and after you have torn your hair out from trying to get an accurate reading, your bike will run like crap.

Do not waste your money!

You can use this crap tool to the best of your ability and if I then used either of the above two tools to verify your initial results and adjustments, you would be literally shocked at just how wildly off your balance would actually be! Yes, this is truly that bad. You have been warned!

IMG 7098

Last edited:
I am supposed to check and balance/sync the carbs on a yellow bike :wasntme:
And read somewhere that water vs. Mercury was able to give finer / more granular reading ?
( bigger scale for smaller variations ? )
Just cause I read it on the internet Doesn’t make it true.

Before I got my Carbtune I was looking for the Carbmate but the guy that made them had stopped production
Are they available again now?

My Carbtune only has 2 columns from the manufacturer. Saved a few quid but probably not worth the savings with hindsigh

PLUS 1 on the useless dial gauges.
Only way I could make mine stop bouncing around was to choke them down so far that they didn't see any vacuum which somewhat defects the object 😬

Yep.
Still made.
Now with the TechMate name as carbs are mostly a thing of the past.
Tecmate CarbMate TS-110 Carburetor/Fuel Injection Throttle Body Synchronizer

All sales on the STORE tab above help support this site;

Can I get the adapter for a 4 cylinder here at the store from Todd ?
Email via the STORE tab always best, but I caught this one...

Interesting development , Some guy here has offered me a Digi Synch 4 cylinder vacuum gauge ( made in USA ) .... in the box used once .
I did look for reviews but all there is are a few ( bad ) actors pretending to be mechanics using one . They all blither on about how great the thing is without actually telling me anything........... are they any good ? :)
Thanks

Never ever heard of it (Digi Sync) and I've been around the block a while. Caveat emptor!

Used once eh? You have to ask yourself "Why" on that one.

Like I said earlier, the ones I listed are the ones I own and have used extensively. They are quality tools that have never failed me.

I own about 10 different kinds. Everything from 30 year old mercury sticks to modern ones of every kind.

#1 Choice: Carbmate

Without question, the most accurate and easiest
one I own and prefer, is the electronic Carbmate. In stock configuration, it is designed for 2 cylinders max, however there is an adapter kit to make it suitable for a 4 port setup.

It’s accuracy is unrivaled, adjustable resolution from 0.5cm - 2.0cm of Mercury, it can be instantly calibrated with visual indicators and an adjustment dial, and it hands down provides exceptional performance. I used it daily in my workshop for over a decade and it is the one I use to this day on my own equipment.

View attachment 35414

#2 Choice: Carbtune Pro

For the very best of a modern version of the old style mercury sticks
, without the exorbitant cost of mercury, let alone the very real and significant health dangers, I use and recommend the Carbtune Pro. In stock configuration, it is designed for up to 4 cylinders.

It utilizes precision crafted and mass balanced silver metal rods that look like mercury along with precision venturi dampening disks inside the calibrated rubber hoses. The only shortcoming of this setup is that the hoses are precision formed as to internal diameter and precision cut to exactly the same length. The device’s accuracy relies upon this fact.

You cannot alter their length ever, so if you accidentally damage a hose, you will need to contact them directly to purchase an appropriate replacement.

View attachment 35415

👎 WORST POS EVER! 👎

Here is my warning to you!

Do not buy any dial vacuum gauge regardless of manufacturer or price!

THEY ARE ALL PURE CRAP!

Their accuracy is terrible and after you have torn your hair out from trying to get an accurate reading, your bike will run like crap.

Do not waste your money!

You can use this crap tool to the best of your ability and if I then used either of the above two tools to verify your initial results and adjustments, you would be literally shocked at just how wildly off your balance would actually be! Yes, this is truly that bad. You have been warned!

View attachment 35416
I've been persevering with the dial gauges for years, until I saw this post. I bought a Carbtune Pro as I could source it locally. All I can say is, "What a difference". Thanks Scott.

My mercury sticks got old, got tired of messing w/moisture in them. Since 76 I've had 2 sets, last year turned in the mercury cause I had been using Carbtune Pro w/rods in tubes. This is what we used at one of the shops & I liked them better than all the electronic ones. I found no difference in tuning & set-up of bikes between electronic ones & mercury ones, as I tested both on same bike. Only thing I have noticed if I don't use them on a frequent basis that you may need to tap on the tube to get the rod to move in one or the other tubes.
I like a bounce to them & unfocus my eyes to see both at same time.

Back