• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Yet another gear oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikef

Just got it firing!
Interestingly there are various recommendations for the early Stelvio lubrication summarized here:

SpecsShop ManualAgip websiteLiquid Moly websiteBel Ray websiteMotul website
Engine Oil10W60Eni ride racing 10W60Offroad Race 10W60N/A7100 10W60
Gearbox85W90 GL5Rotra 75W90 GL5MB gear oil 75W90 GL5GS Hypoid 80W90 GL5HD 80W90 GL4/5
CARC80W90 GL4Rotra 75W90 GL5Hypoid gear oil 85/90 GL5GS Hypoid 80W90 GL5HD 80W90 GL4/5
ClutchDOT 4Dot 4 or Dot 4+Dot 4 or Dot 5.1Super Dot 4RBF 700 DOT 4
BrakeDOT 5.1Dot 4 or Dot 4+Dot 4 or Dot 5.1Super Dot 4RBF 700 DOT 5
Fork oilSAE 7.5WFork oil 7.5WFork oil medium 10WHigh Performance 10WEXP M 10W

Comments?

The specs in the shop manual are generated by the people who designed and built the motorcycle.

The rest of the specs are generated by people who did NOT design and build the motorcycle, but would like very much to sell you some of their oil.

I know which one I'd start from .... !!

Lannis

Exactly where I started. That being said, oil quality and technology has improved in the last 15 years. I’m sure these recommendations are not made lightly. I’m also pretty sure Moto Guzzi USA has made changes to some of the original recommendations.

In any case, I would be interested in what products people are using and why.

Thanks.

In my Stelvio, I'm using the oils that the manufacturer recommended. Why? Because I don't believe that Moto Guzzi USA has made any changes to the recommendations, and I don't know of anyone who is qualified to say that "Updated Oil Type X for 2022" is any better a lubricant for my bike than the original.

Lannis

I’m with Lannis on this one.

I use exactly what the manufacturer calls for.

Never had an issue nor a reason to change.

Moto Guzzi recommended Agip 85W90 for the gearbox. Since Agip is now Eni and no longer sells 85W90 gear oil, what will you use on your next change?

Eni does make that oil but it may not be available in your local area.

I use Mobil 1 75W90 Full Synthetic. Works just perfect. In fact, when I change it, it looks exactly just like the new oil I replace it with.

You can spend ridiculous money buying European oil in that exact specification but it is not necessary. Mobil 1 is as good as literally anything out there.

Ah, some brave souls admitting to not ‘exactly’ following the manufacturer’s recommendation.

From the uni international website I couldn’t find a motorcycle gear oil with an 85W90 GL5 designation. Do you have a source?

I can get this from Amazon but it would cost me $50

Liquid Moly (20010) 85W-90 GL-5 High Pressure Gear Oil - 1 L

The only 85W90 oil at fortnine is this:

Liqui Moly High Performance Marine Gear Oil 85W90 1 L​

Not GL5 but nice blue colour.

Anyone else?

It’s not motorcycle per se. It’s just gear oil.

The critical part is the 90 of the 75W90.

You seem to be looking to split hairs here or engage in a battle. Not necessary nor desired.

What is critical is the ENGINE oil. They are not kidding when they say 10W60 4T motor oil. That is critical. Motul is widely available in that configuration.

You don't need 85W90, 75W90 is fine. I've used it for over 4 years and 48,000 km.

This is exactly why oil threads crash and burn every time. I'm out!

Seriously, I'm not trying to split hairs or engage in any battle. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I'm just asking for people's opinion to make the best informed choice about what I should use given what is available to me.

My original post pointed out the different recommendation found from different oil producers. The response was that I should use "exactly' the what the manufacturer recommended. I don't know enough about the subject to know that 75W90 is close enough.

Is there a reason why the shop manual recommends GL4 for the CARC and GL5 for the gearbox?

I definitely have Motul 10W60 Off Road Racing Oil in my Amazon Cart but I'll check out Lordco.

I am not familiar with Motul off road racing oil, but I suggest you use their 10W-60 that has all of the European, SAE, and Japanese ratings for street use.

I use Motul 10w60 for engine, and I have been using this oil for a very long time, because, "between us" , my wife worked for a long time at Motul as a chemist and a fabulous Motul 75w140 for gear box and Carc .
With this oil, you have the impression of having another gearbox, quieter and much softer .
I use it also in my 1400 Cali without any problem .

Last edited:
I use Motul 10w60 for engine, and a fabulous Motul 75w140 for gear box and Carc .
With this oil, you have the impression of having another gearbox, quieter and much softer .
I use it also in my 1400 Cali .
That is what the dealer put in my V85TT at the 900-mile service. I will keep using the Motul 10W-60 engine and 75W-140 gear oil (both are synthetic).

SpecsShop ManualAgip websiteLiquid Moly websiteBel Ray websiteMotul websiteCastrol website
Engine Oil10W60Eni ride racing 10W60Offroad Race 10W60N/A7100 10W60EDGE 10W-60
Gearbox85W90 GL5Rotra 75W90 GL5MB gear oil 75W90 GL5GS Hypoid 80W90 GL5HD 80W90 GL4/5See dealer
CARC80W90 GL4Rotra 75W90 GL5Hypoid gear oil 85/90 GL5GS Hypoid 80W90 GL5HD 80W90 GL4/5AXLE EPX 80W-90
ClutchDOT 4Dot 4 or Dot 4+Dot 4 or Dot 5.1Super Dot 4RBF 700 DOT 4no recommendation
BrakeDOT 5.1Dot 4 or Dot 4+Dot 4 or Dot 5.1Super Dot 4RBF 700 DOT 5REACT DOT 4
Fork oilSAE 7.5WFork oil 7.5WFork oil medium 10WHigh Performance 10WEXP M 10WFORK OIL 5W

Added Castrol Website recommendations

Last edited:
Is there a reason why the shop manual recommends GL4 for the CARC and GL5 for the gearbox?
GL4 is compatible with bronze parts. I haven't been into a CARC so I can't answer if there are bronze parts there. GL5 oils are usually not compatible with bronze parts. The only GL5 I know that is compatible with bronze is Royal Purple. And I only know that because I have bronze thrust spacers in the rear end of my Model T Ford. It is also possible that GL4 is in the shop manual because that specification wasn't updated. Unfortunately the technical writers at Guzzi tend to copy from older manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back