• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Coolant Leak

I think the V100 is a lovely bike, although I swore I would never be interested in a water cooled Guzzi.

I'd like to see the coolant leak issues as just a teething problem typical of any new design.

But after being "salted" over the years with having to completely re-fuel and re-map and re-exhaust and re-sensor a new Centauro so that it would run, and finding dry suspension and steering head bearings that had never had grease in them from the factory on two different bikes, and having cam recalls because of soft metal, and finding cam followers with the wrong hard-facing on them ...
(that last one was criminal on Guzzi's part- they knew they'd effed up but would never admit it openly or do an official recall; they almost lost me)
... I guess I'm not too shocked about the hose clamp thing. Me, when I buy an old car or bike, I take every palm-and-knuckle-slicing worm clamp off of every hose, and replace them (as Scott has mentioned) with properly sized Oetiker clamps installed with the proper tool.

I'd hate to think that an upgrade on my new bike was a worm gear clamp worrying me with rubber oozing up through the slots.

Character, I keep telling myself. It's called CHARACTER, d'you hear me there? As if I were keeping an Italian mistress in an apartment in Rome with her own platinum credit card, and I find that's she's fooling around on me every week.....

Lannis

News on my boiling water in the expansion tank, I have bought a new radiator cap, 1000 km done so far with no more boiling.

Lannis; I hear ya on the rubber oozing through slots! Consider this: fisheriessupply.com/ideal-clamp-product-300-ss-constant-torque-smartseal-hose-clamps/372150040051

These clamps have a liner piece that squeezes down much better on the hose. Learned this boating, inboard diesel with clamps everywhere.

Those screw clamps look more robust but I am still squarely in the Oetiker camp.

Lift the hood of every European car made and you will find zero screw clamps and tons of Oetiker clamps.

As I wrote, I’ve used literally hundreds of them of every size imaginable and not once did anything ever leak at any time. 5 years later they looked as good as the day I installed them.

Meine V100 ist rot, bin jetzt auch wegen Kühlwasserverlust in der Werkstatt. Wir warten auf Teile aus Italien. Hat jetzt 1650 km gelaufen, ich musste ca. 200ml nachfüllen. Unten ein Bild laut Werkstatt sind es nicht die Schellen und auch kein Schlauch die einen defekt haben. Es war neu für die Werkstatt.

V100.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BDS
Meine V100 ist rot, bin jetzt auch wegen Kühlwasserverlust in der Werkstatt. Wir warten auf Teile aus Italien. Hat jetzt 1650 km gelaufen, ich musste ca. 200ml nachfüllen. Unten ein Bild laut Werkstatt sind es nicht die Schellen und auch kein Schlauch die einen defekt haben. Es war neu für die Werkstatt.

Mine has just developed the same puddle (after 4k miles) but not much loss of coolant. Definitely looks like a clamp problem on mine but it will be in the dealer next week to repair under warranty.

Meine V 100 ist zurück von der Inspektion und Reparatur. Jetzt wurden die Schellen gegen welche mit Schraubverschluss getauscht und es sollte damit erledigt sein, sagt die Werkstatt. Bin gespannt, ob es damit erledigt ist und freue mich auf die nächsten Ausfahrten.

Translation to English:
My V 100 is back from inspection and repair. The clamps have now been replaced with ones with screw caps and that should be the end of it, says the workshop. I'm excited to see if that's the end of it and I'm looking forward to the next trips.

Back