• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Pop goes the Mandello

I know of at least one UK based V100S which is on its 2nd engine. I don't know the why's and wherefore's but it was a warranty issue. Fortunately.

Personally I would demand a new engine. I wouldn’t want to be worrying about possible bearing problems down the road caused by the load being applied to the bearings as the engine was devouring it’s valve. But that’s me.

Wow!

1 engine is bad enough but 2 would be "Moto Guzzi, you are buying the motorcycle back."

I really am distressed over just how many issues are surfacing with this model.

Unfortunately, very many more than I had expected.

I am rather shocked and dismayed at it honestly.

A few years ago I bought a 1400 with 500 miles and a new engine. The dealership wouldn't tell me what happened but I suspected that it had also dropped a valve. It was an unloved model which had sat on the dealership floor for three years. I made an appt to come and ride it, it was a substantial distance from me. The manager took it out for a spin before I got there when the engine locked up. I figured the cylinder and piston would be replaced which I was not thrilled with. When I was informed that the engine had been replaced I went ahead with the deal. I never had any trouble with it other than poor fueling at lower rpm in lower gears. I wouldn't let the engine replacement bother you.
kk

I would doubt that they replace the engine as that would be unnecessary.

A new cylinder and head will set her right as rain. 🤞👌👍
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can replace just 1 cylinder on the V100. Looking at my
Stelvio, it appears that both cylinders are an integral part of the upper half of the engine block casting. To
replace the upper engine block casting would require the engine to be removed and disassembled. Probably
easier to just replace the entire engine.

You are correct. I forgot once again about the bizarre characteristics of the new engine.

The more we discover, the more I am with GTM in that they took one of the most logical designs with a long history, and have created a service nightmare and certainly the most complicated engine to repair by requiring engine replacements left and right.

🤦‍♂️

You are correct. I forgot once again about the bizarre characteristics of the new engine.

The more we discover, the more I am with GTM in that they took one of the most logical designs with a long history, and have created a service nightmare and certainly the most complicated engine to repair by requiring engine replacements left and right.

🤦‍♂️
One of the many reasons I'm sticking with pushrod twins. Serviceability has really deteriorated since they went 4 valve on the big block bikes.

Unfortunately, things are no longer done the way they used to be. The decline in quality and finish affects everything and everyone, from cars to motorcycles (Guzzi included), and I find it difficult to accept this change.

Sounds like my adventure with the only new Ducati I ever bought -- a 916. Got about 50 miles on my first ride from the dealership and POP, the engine died and started playing sounds like jingle bells. Loaded it on my trailer and took it back to the dealer. Mechanic said to start it up. I hit the starter and he said "never mind." Engine assembler left a stray nut in the plastic external timing belt case. It bounced around for a while, found its way between the drive sprocket and the toothed rubber timing belt for the front cylinder, and the belt hopped a few teeth. Definitely interference clearance between the four valve heads which broke off and the piston top, ha ha. Of course warranty fix involving front cylinder head, piston and barrel. Is this an Italian thing?

According to motorcyclists on a big Swedish website, the late generation of Honda CBR1000 engines came with poor hardened crankshafts (somewhere around 2015-2018).
Quite a few engine failures…
Avoid racing and treat the engines nice, and be thorough with the oil changes and oil quality and they will hold up.
But push it a bit and the failure is around the next corner.
Have anyone claimed that Honda is a poor quality brand?
Or what are the terms for labeling a brand as poor quality?

If you judge things believing that the internet is unbiased and an accurate representation of real world conditions, well I don’t know what to say…

If you judge things believing that the internet is unbiased and an accurate representation of real world conditions, well I don’t know what to say…
I assume you replied to me.
Well that’s the point, the word goes around and just trusting something on internet is awkward.
Small brands (bikes, cars…whatever) with a poor history of quality from 40-50 years ago keep struggling with that reputation.
Anecdotal incidents tends to fly around, and everybody “has a cousin or workmate, who knows someone who had a problem recently or many years ago”.
…and therefore it’s proven that all vehicles from that brand are poor quality now and forever.
Even owners themselves contribute to this by keep referring to anecdotal incidents, so the brands are stuck with the old labels.

I had an Alfa Romeo 156 many years ago, and a neighbor said that an Italian electrical system was unreliable so he would never buy such car.
“Well” I replied, “yes, Alfa Romeo has asked Bosch to manufacture same type of electrical system as any other manufacturer use, but to add built in niggles”.
I think that talk with my neighbor sums it all up.
This car model came statistically in as a medium car with regards to repairs and shop hours, and same with rust tendencies.
All according to authorities (Swedish MOT) and manufacturers car organizations in Sweden.
So just as good as any car really.
But the reputation from 1970’s models kept haunting the brand as people still referred to this, if there was an anecdotal incident they heard of.

In the same time big brands (premium as well) keep being forgiven quality mistakes and expensive maintenance costs.
Btw, regarding motorcycles, look into BMW K1300 coolant leakage and lots of problems with the radiator cap.
Still those owners are happy and consider their brand to be a quality brand.
I have no problem with that choice, but can’t avoid to compare those problems of Honda’s, BMW’s…etc, with for example the Moto Guzzi brand.

With all things mechanical...there will be something that will be problematical😃👌 That applies to brand A to brand Z...dam moving parts and associated components that create a explosion of such small significance but at exact timing to create power and torque to a drive through a box of gears that then transfers to more components which work together to promote drive to another component which then....we can do that????😳

There are always poor people who experience poor failure on modern bikes, and that fact alone isn't isolated to any 1 brand unfortunately. We ALL take the risk when buying any product, especially something mechanical, which is simply complicated in its simplest form, but now add today's regs, constraints, ECT ECT...well you get the point.

Nothing is a surety in today's world, which we accept and bargain with each and everyday, that applies to the bike we ride whatever brand and manufacturer that might be.

Hope the op's bike is repaired as soon as possible👌

Last edited:
A friend has a newer Alfa which he has driven many many miles with no issues. His wife has a Fiat with close to 100,000 last I knew about a year ago with no issues and we all know that is the most unreliable brand on the planet. So Americans won't buy a Fiat but Jeep Renegades sell well, same platform. Fiat will probably never overcome their reputation from long ago in this country.
kk

I won't say I'm happy that my engine went kaputt but I'm not taking it as anything special to the marque.

The worse build quality bikes I've ever owned were Hondas - rotting collector boxes, disintegrating fasteners, snapping camshaft tensioners, rust, thin paint - despite the oft-repeated anecdote about Honda build quality being the best.

I was torn between the last of the old-shape BMW S1000RR and the new. Went with the old because of the diabolical list of failures and idiotic manufacturing and design flaws in the new model. All now sorted but a lot of new owners had their bikes back in the garage on a weekly basis to repair the same things but which were never recalled.

KTM 1290 SDGT - fantastic build quality, top-notch everything on it. Electrical system regularly threw a hissy fit and required a Microsoft fix (turn it off and back on again) at the roadside to get it going and/or to make the display respond. Only sold it when it failed completely, even though it was actually the brand new battery at fault - the terminal snapped off mid-ride!

And I had a Benelli TRK 899. Mine wasn't the worse of them but there was one which was known as Pandorra and everyone was terrified of buying it unknowingly...

So, the point is, shit happens to most mechanical things :D

With all things mechanical...there will be something that will be problematical😃👌 That applies to brand A to brand Z...dam moving parts and associated components that create a explosion of such small significance but at exact timing to create power and torque to a drive through a box of gears that then transfers to more components which work together to promote drive to another component which then....we can do that????😳

There are always poor people who experience poor failure on modern bikes, and that fact alone isn't isolated to any 1 brand unfortunately. We ALL take the risk when buying any product, especially something mechanical, which is simply complicated in its simplest form, but now add today's regs, constraints, ECT ECT...well you get the point.

Nothing is a surety in today's world, which we accept and bargain with each and everyday, that applies to the bike we ride whatever brand and manufacturer that might be.

Hope the op's bike is repaired as soon as possible👌
I can only agree with you. Scuttlebutt used to be the term for passed on rumours and inuendo . As the owner since new of a V65 Lario which has never had a valve issue I can only feel for those who are on the web looking for real info and all they find is waffle about reliability. All manufacturers get the occasional bad unit but that becomes worse with all those who had a brother ,cousin or friends great aunt mary who had nothing but trouble

Back