• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Pop goes the Mandello

I can only agree with you. Scuttlebutt used to be the term for passed on rumours and inuendo . As the owner since new of a V65 Lario which has never had a valve issue I can only feel for those who are on the web looking for real info and all they find is waffle about reliability. All manufacturers get the occasional bad unit but that becomes worse with all those who had a brother ,cousin or friends great aunt mary who had nothing but trouble
Bad news travels fast. Happy customers are quiet customers. Unhappy customers raise a stink.

Brief update, based on a call from the garage so this is the full extent of my knowledge - A valve spring failed, the valve dropped into the piston 😳, the engine didn't like it!

When it happened I described the sound as 'like dropping a teaspoon in a waste disposal unit' and it seems like that was more accurate than I expected. Waiting for Piaggio to authorise the new engine but it looks like I'm going to be on the Stelvio for a while yet.

Most annoyingly, having run-in my bike, I now have to run in the Stelvio (it only had 300 miles on, 750 now) and I will probably have to run in the replacement engine when it comes! Fair to say I do not own a motorcycle to ride around being all gentle-like....
Ack. That happened on my 2017 KTM Super Adventure S 1290. After 17k miles, it suddenly spit a broken valve spring into the head of the piston.

Talked to GrandRapids Guzzi yesterday, he has a Mandello 10K mi and a bad radiator, leaking out of core 1/2 way up.
Most have good luck. I'll keep my EV, Cal2, V700's

Minor update - new engine received by the dealer and installed. Still got to reassemble the tricky part (the fairings!) and put through some tests but will have it back in a week or so.

In the meantime yes, I did have to put the Stelvio through running in and first service and yes, I will have to do it again for the new engine!

The Stelvio is ok but not the bike I want so I'm really looking forward to getting my own bike back. Although if anything else major happens I'll be going for the refund and swapping to a R1250RS...

Minor update - new engine received by the dealer and installed. Still got to reassemble the tricky part (the fairings!) and put through some tests but will have it back in a week or so.l
Good luck!
The Stelvio is ok but not the bike I want so I'm really looking forward to getting my own bike back. Although if anything else major happens I'll be going for the refund and swapping to a R1250RS...
Seems like a good plan. I suppose it’s wise (once one has “had enough”) to cut and run. It’s disheartening that so many have had issues with their bikes! I had a problem the day I drove mine home, but it turned out to be fine after that. Yesterday, I got it back from the 7500 mile service (and new tires)… did 170 miles today, to break in the tires - it ran better than ever. Fingers crossed for a couple upcoming long trips!

Good luck to you!

A crying shame if you do end up going to the dark side. Mine was returned by my Gloucester dealer to home after warranty work done on the head gasket (so I'm told) but as I'm in the Far East at the moment haven't been able to check it out. It will be late October at the latest before I can.

Annnnnd she's back! Returned the Stelvio and collected my Mandello this morning :clap:

New engine fitted and all my add-ons, added-back on :cool:

Will have to do the 925 miles running in again but at least I'm back on the bike I actually wanted!

Still have some negotiations to do with Piaggio to make sure I don't end up paying for a second 'first' service but that should be doable, especially as they've asked for the original engine back (unusual apparently).

Hats off to Charlotte at Downend Motorcycles in Bristol for doing the business, gettinng my bike back on the road regardless of whether the manufacturer was being supportive :angel:

Annnnnd she's back! Returned the Stelvio and collected my Mandello this morning :clap:

New engine fitted and all my add-ons, added-back on :cool:

Will have to do the 925 miles running in again but at least I'm back on the bike I actually wanted!

Still have some negotiations to do with Piaggio to make sure I don't end up paying for a second 'first' service but that should be doable, especially as they've asked for the original engine back (unusual apparently).

Hats off to Charlotte at Downend Motorcycles in Bristol for doing the business, gettinng my bike back on the road regardless of whether the manufacturer was being supportive :angel:
Enjoy, and drive safe! 👍

So you were without your Mandello for about a month. That's pretty darn good, in my book, for what they had to do. I've heard horror stories of service shops keeping a bike for months. (BMW comes to mind on this point)

So you were without your Mandello for about a month. That's pretty darn good, in my book, for what they had to do. I've heard horror stories of service shops keeping a bike for months. (BMW comes to mind on this point)

It's not just Guzzi.

We're being taken advantage of, with companies using the lame, played, 4-year-old excuse of "COVID impact on supply chains" to cover their lower overhead and higher profits from not hiring enough people to service their customers.

A traffic cone falling off a work truck went through the grill of our 3-day-old 2024 Subaru Crosstrek with 400 miles on it.

Six hours labor and $1300 in parts to fix. But the car has been in the shop for FOUR WEEKS because a part "is on backorder from Subaru". You would think that Subaru is a big enough company to meet their commitments, but that is no longer the plan.

Pathetic. I'm probably done buying new cars. There's no advantage to it.

Lannis

It's not just Guzzi.

We're being taken advantage of, with companies using the lame, played, 4-year-old excuse of "COVID impact on supply chains" to cover their lower overhead and higher profits from not hiring enough people to service their customers.

A traffic cone falling off a work truck went through the grill of our 3-day-old 2024 Subaru Crosstrek with 400 miles on it.

Six hours labor and $1300 in parts to fix. But the car has been in the shop for FOUR WEEKS because a part "is on backorder from Subaru". You would think that Subaru is a big enough company to meet their commitments, but that is no longer the plan.

Pathetic. I'm probably done buying new cars. There's no advantage to it.

Lannis

This is nothing new and has nothing to do with COVID. It has always been this way.

Brand new models of all vehicle manufactures are always late in getting parts to market. First priority of subcontracted suppliers is to maintain the manufacturing production line so this is where all production parts go until there is sufficient supplies to keep the line going for weeks without interruption.

Until this benchmark is met, and until that is absolutely established, subcontractors generating supplies of spares is a low priority.

I'm reminded of this everytime I stay at a hotel, and there is a notice that there's no daily room service. Companies used COVID to reduce expenses, and in doing so reduced future expectations. Covid is no longer the boogie-man it once was but there's no going back ("Can't go back Bob"). This is also true with how we vote in the US (i.e. proliferation of drop off ballot boxes). No further comment on that.

Service shops, in my mind, have always been too lean. Covid, for a variety of reasons, made it worse I think.

But @Katie has the Mandello back and that's all that matters for this thread 👍

This is nothing new and has nothing to do with COVID. It has always been this way.

Brand new models of all vehicle manufactures are always late in getting parts to market. First priority of subcontracted suppliers is to maintain the manufacturing production line so this is where all production parts go until there is sufficient supplies to keep the line going for weeks without interruption.

Until this benchmark is met, and until that is absolutely established, subcontractors generating supplies of spares is a low priority.

I respectfully disagree, for two reasons. One, I've been buying new vehicles for 50 years and this has never happened to me before.

And two, when I say "Hey, wassup with this month-long thing?", THEY are the ones who whip out the covidsupplychain excuse; it's not coming from me....

Lannis

Way off topic, but in my business, COVID UNRAVELED so many things, and they haven't even come close to getting back to normal. Many of my BIG suppliers tell me raw goods, i.e. aluminum, electronic parts, etc are still hard to get and the cost has went way up.

I'll tell you that I am very glad that I bought the 4 year extended factory warranty on this model. Truly.

Ugh...
If I may ask, what did you have to pay for that extended warranty? I generally don't do these but since the Mandello engine is essentially new, and really unproven long term, it may make sense to get ext warranty.

Probably, but the factory may want to study the failure. It may be just as easy to swap out the engine as to replacing the cylinder, piston, and head.
I would definitely be having words to the valve spring supplier if I was Piaggio. It's not like this is a screaming four cylinder. Why did it fail?

Back