• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lost my only key!

But the real question is still : "The REAL question is,... Crackers, did you ever get your key ring back? "My whole key-life was on that ring."....."

company that creates a condition whereby a key code may be entered for security reasons and then does nothing to provide their dealers with a "back door" to re-set the computers to the "factory settings" if needed. THIS is my complaint. I am hopeful that I am simply ignorant and that someone can provide facts to the contrary.
It is a pity that there is no code which can be derived from the VIN and then used to program a new key with the appropriate software. Though that would then open the door for thieves.
But some of the blame for the current position has to lie with sellers and in particular, dealer sellers of second hand models for not bothering to pass on the information.

It is a pity that there is no code which can be derived from the VIN and then used to program a new key with the appropriate software. Though that would then open the door for thieves.
But some of the blame for the current position has to lie with sellers and in particular, dealer sellers of second hand models for not bothering to pass on the information.

The real problem is as you said not passing on the information for the user code. The security feature is in my opinion a good thing, and only causes issues when you don't have both keys, or don't know the user code.

For the record, I have not blamed anyone but myself for my situation.
New lockset is about $560.00. New dash is $1100.00.
I've got some time to play with this over the winter.

I have not yet found a locksmith who is willing to fuss with a MG, but there's a few out of my area to try, yet.
Tentative plan (if the locksmith is a bust) is to buy the new lockset, and then send the dash out. Seems if I do that, I'll wind up with plenty of keys!

And, no, my original keys have not turned up. They'll most likely show up just after I'm through this headache!

Hooray, hooray! My keys showed up!
They had become tangled in another party guest's belongings, and then made their way into a car seat crevice.
I had been dancing with a locksmith who was willing to work with the machine, but our schedules kept getting put off. In a way, that was a good thing.
I've ordered 2 key blanks, and will get them cut and cloned. I kinda budgeted for a $1k nightmare, what with locksmith fees and dash programming, so maybe I put a pipe on this sucker! :rock:

Having read this entire horror story I'm keen to know if my V7iii uses the same key coding scheme. I still have my 2 keys, but see a personal need to add a little more insurance.

Unless I see future posts that try to help and don't complain about the bike or posters this thread will be locked.

John,
I think you are making a bad move by threatening to lock a thread simply because owners of Moto Guzzi motorcycles are frustrated by the manufacturer's lack of knowledge of their own product. That and the lack of interest in supporting their dealers so that they may provide superior service to the customer. After all, if there are no customers, there is no need for a manufacturer. So, in essence, these "complaints" are a request to Moto Guzzi to step up their game.

Nothing is perfect. Nobody is perfect. Let's openly discuss the "warts and all". In doing this everyone benefits.

The real problem is as you said not passing on the information for the user code. The security feature is in my opinion a good thing, and only causes issues when you don't have both keys, or don't know the user code.

Looking into the future, can we imagine someone buying a used MG motorcycle that uses a keycode for security. The owner doesn't think to pass along the keycode (if he even knows on exists). The owner never programmed the second key. So, the buyer gets their pretty new (to them) MG motorcycle and is SO happy. It is very possible that the new owner does not have a clue that such a thing as a keycode or if a keycode was ever set. The point is that a second-hand buyer does not necessarily get a "walk-around" of their new bike that a responsible dealer may provide.

John,
I think you are making a bad move by threatening to lock a thread simply because owners of Moto Guzzi motorcycles are frustrated by the manufacturer's lack of knowledge of their own product. That and the lack of interest in supporting their dealers so that they may provide superior service to the customer. After all, if there are no customers, there is no need for a manufacturer. So, in essence, these "complaints" are a request to Moto Guzzi to step up their game.

I get it that this is a private forum and was "slapped" already by Todd for mentioning that he mistakenly sent me a defective part. My point was to further point out how it was such a good experience overall due to his fast action to get me the right part. But, let's face it, we all make mistakes and that is not a problem. What is telling is how the mistake is handled. Todd handled it exceptionally well, but seemed to not want anyone else to know that he made a mistake at all.

Nothing is perfect. Nobody is perfect. Let's openly discuss the "warts and all". In doing this everyone benefits.

Here is the thing. The folks at Moto Guzzi don't look at this forum. Bitching here serves no purpose. The forum is here to provide what aid we can to fellow Guzzi owners. We have no control on what Moto Guzzi does or doesn't do. Have you noticed that after I made that post, the tone of this thread became constructive again?

Here is the thing. The folks at Moto Guzzi don't look at this forum. Bitching here serves no purpose. The forum is here to provide what aid we can to fellow Guzzi owners. We have no control on what Moto Guzzi does or doesn't do. Have you noticed that after I made that post, the tone of this thread became constructive again?

Yeah, I think I know that MG doesn't see any of this stuff. But, other owners do and it might be helpful to them to know that if they are going to look to their dealer to help them get out of a jam with a lost or forgotten keycode they might want to look elsewhere as the dealer won't be any help. Carmo Electronics will be though. They were able to do what MG won't tell their dealers how to do. That is, reset the dash to where it was before the bike was sold.

I just bought a used California Tour, and it came with two sets of ignition and saddlebag keys. I have no idea what the key code is. On the key ring of spare keys is a little plastic piece with four numbers stamped into it. Could that be the key code?

I just bought a used California Tour, and it came with two sets of ignition and saddlebag keys. I have no idea what the key code is. On the key ring of spare keys is a little plastic piece with four numbers stamped into it. Could that be the key code?

Yes that tag should be the key code.

My spare key for my B-11 has a black tag with ZADI on one side and 5 numbers on the other side.
With the service codes being 5 digits, make sure you are not missing one digit.
Yes that tag should be the key code.
Thanks John, that is great info. The dealer who sold my Griso new, apparently favoured the last 5 digits of the VIN. Hope I never need to use it.

Thanks John, that is great info. The dealer who sold my Griso new, apparently favoured the last 5 digits of the VIN. Hope I never need to use it.

Key code is different from user code. The tag should be the code for cutting the key, but if a new key, you need the user code to program the key to the dash. These darn bikes have too many codes!!

Being new to MG, I want to be sure I don’t get stranded if the dash doesn’t recognize the key! I’m assuming if that happens I just enter the secret code manually? I don’t really want to carry both my keys all the time.

Being new to MG, I want to be sure I don’t get stranded if the dash doesn’t recognize the key! I’m assuming if that happens I just enter the secret code manually? I don’t really want to carry both my keys all the time.

Correct. If the dash doesn't recognize the key it will ask for the user code. If you don't know the user code and you have both keys you can change the user code. I like to use the maintenance code, others the last 5 digits of the VIN. Personally I prefer to remember just one code. The procedure is covered in the Breva Service manual in the downloads section. Procedure is the same for all CARC bikes.

Back